Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by JamesNeal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2010
17 Posts
[QUOTE=Rockin Robbins;22989817]Everyone does that when they go swimming, surfing, play football, watch a baseball game in person, ride a bicycle or drive a car. This is no different. I assume personal responsibility for anything bad that happens.[ QUOTE]

It is vastly different, all those activities you choose to do , they all involve not out of the norm activity for a given site/place/venue. Flying a model aircraft in a park is not something the average person is expecting to face when they use a public park so somehow they are expected to not walk across your landing zone ,stand behind you and generally modify their behavior to suit your activity.

[QUOTE=Rockin Robbins;22989817]Wrong. I stand in stark contrast to "Why so conservative? Young blooooooooooooooood is here!" I consider the risks carefully and mitigate them. I fly when NOBODY is in front of me. My safety standards probably exceed that of clubs, certainly some of the clubs featured in You Tube videos[QUOTE]

Yer, you consider the risks but you're making those decisions for the unwitting public as well .

[QUOTE=Rockin Robbins;22989817]Well there goes your credibility. You know what they say about stupid assumptions. I have real insurance, not the AMA's full of holes insurance, which has a weasel clause for if you lose radio contact with your plane, or if you hit a family member or anyone who normally belongs on the property on which you fly. But you're pretending I don't have coverage. I say "have you carefully read the actual AMA insurance policy? You're not as covered as you may think." That's just curtains for any belief that you have something worth listening to. The statement "all flying outside of AMA sanction is unsafe and inadvisable" is just plain silly. We will now pause for everyone to have a good laugh at your expense[QUOTE]

Who said I had AMA or any insurance?? Oh wait a minute,you did. LOL and you're talking "Stupid assumption"
If you have insurance to Park fly which I doubt , have you ever tested it? You'll find all insurance has loop holes and ' Get out of jail clauses" it's part of the game LOL Just as you wrongly think you are flying safely you also think you are fully insured , I suggest you read your policy, with an Attorney present and do it with a microscope , that fine print between fine print is pretty hard to read otherwise.

[QUOTE=Rockin Robbins;22989817]Your premise is flawed, as demonstrated above. Everything that follows is horse manure. [QUOTE]

In your, questionable, opinion
OneLastweedle is offline Find More Posts by OneLastweedle
Last edited by OneLastweedle; Oct 13, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:13 PM
Respect my AUTHORIFLYHHHH !!
Joined Sep 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitnessOnly View Post

Now this is a party, who brought the brewski's!!

Why, You headin on out for a parkfly dog ?
SouthParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by SouthParkflyer
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:26 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
968 Posts
[QUOTE=OneLastweedle;22992760][QUOTE=Rockin Robbins;22989817]Everyone does that when they go swimming, surfing, play football, watch a baseball game in person, ride a bicycle or drive a car. This is no different. I assume personal responsibility for anything bad that happens.[ QUOTE]

It is vastly different, all those activities you choose to do , they all involve not out of the norm activity for a given site/place/venue. Flying a model aircraft in a park is not something the average person is expecting to face when they use a public park so somehow they are expected to not walk across your landing zone ,stand behind you and generally modify their behavior to suit your activity.

[QUOTE=Rockin Robbins;22989817]Your premise is flawed, as demonstrated above. Everything that follows is horse manure.
Quote:

Well, as I also fly in a public park, which is a free village amenity, which I share with dog-walkers, footballers and families I can tell you what the score is:dog owners are the most dangerous -three children killed in the UK in the last 18 months by dog-mauling; footballers are second with one heart-attack death, numerous fractures;park fliers - no deaths and no injuries.If I had young children again, and took them to a park, I would rightly perceive the greatest risk of injury as coming firstly from un-leashed dogs, secondly from the youngsters booting footballs around, and thirdly from the vehicles parking in and leaving the park.The few radio control fliers present no danger but do give some harmless entertainment.We may like to think we are doing something exciting, but actually we are just flying light-weight models around under close control.I feel a lot more nervous controlling half a tonne of horse around the same village than I do controlling half a kilogram of model plane.Actually, I don't feel nervous doing either, I just said that for effect.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Last edited by alibongo; Oct 13, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:43 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Or as close control as your radio system will allow. Got a lot of fail-safes in that plane, do ya? You that certain you won't brown-out over a bunch of people at full throttle? Got them control surfaces hinged, or do you rely on the "hinges" provided with the plane? It REALLY sucks when an aileron lets go, that's how I learned the hard way to use nylon hinges on ALL surfaces. Let's see, what's a baseball weigh, 8 or so ounces? Throw that at someone going by in a car doing 60mph and see what happens when you hit them, or for arguments sake, let's make it a tennis ball, they're softer. That ball, going 60mph, maybe less after it's thrown, is going to AT least knock them off their feet. Now take 1 pound (1/2 kilo) airplane hitting someone at the same speed. It's a lot bigger than a tennis ball, and you trust your reflexes enough to shut the motor down before it does damage? What happens if you're struck with "dumb thumb" over a bunch of people at the park? What then? There's that 1 pound plane setting up to hit someone again maybe. Guess there's always gonna be 2 sides to the safety issue, I also guess some would interpret that as "fear". Ain't fear at all, I just know what that 1 pound plane's capable of...what do you consider to be a safe altitude with people around? Do you just fly the plane, or are you a show-off? You know, "buzz" people, get a laugh out of it. Then one of your "footballers" happens to throw the ball in your flightpath, which happens to be over the people trying to catch the ball? Hmm, maybe it'll just miss them. Hope them failsafes are workin' Check your watch, LVC is a real drag. And I don't exactly know what your take is on R.C., but I find it exciting as HELL, and have had more than a few white-knuckle moments flying, and NOT at the potential expense of someone else...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by matiac; Oct 13, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Yet people let their children play with uncontrolled tennis balls and even baseballs in the park too!! The horror of it all!!!

By the way, a major league baseball is required to weigh between 5 and 5 1/4 ounces. It took me about 15 seconds to find this error. If you would have spent the same amount of time researching each of your points, you could have eliminated your entire post in under 3 minutes.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Last edited by Logan4169; Oct 13, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:30 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
Yet people let their children play with uncontrolled tennis balls and even baseballs in the park too!! The horror of it all!!!

By the way, a major league baseball is required to weigh between 5 and 5 1/4 ounces. It took me about 15 seconds to find this error. If you would have spent the same amount of time researching each of your points, you could have eliminated your entire post in under 3 minutes.
Apparently, everyone's supposed to share your carefree approach to this Hobby, and if that's what you choose to do, "knock yourself out". I just hope nobody gets hurt because of your complacency. 5 1/4 ounces? Imagine what the half kilo plane would do.
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
Apparently, everyone's supposed to share your carefree approach to this Hobby, and if that's what you choose to do, "knock yourself out". I just hope nobody gets hurt because of your complacency. 5 1/4 ounces? Imagine what the half kilo plane would do.
Among the many errors in your post, you are grossly overestimating the speeds that a typical park flyer in the 5 to 16 ounce range would be capable of flying. Your entire post is based on inaccurate suppositions. I dare say, if you build and fly with the same attention to detail with which you post, then I can see why you would find the hobby so dangerous.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:20 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,116 Posts
Wow!
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:31 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
968 Posts
To settle this once and for all, I shall fly my Radian today where my wife stables our horse,and I shall fly it full throttle into the back of her head when she is not expecting it.I shall report back any injuries.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibongo View Post
To settle this once and for all, I shall fly my Radian today where my wife stables our horse,and I shall fly it full throttle into the back of her head when she is not expecting it.I shall report back any injuries.
Are there times when she DOES expect it?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:16 AM
Tellin' it like it is!
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Your wife or the horse? LOL
JamesNeal is offline Find More Posts by JamesNeal
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:48 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,049 Posts
Quote:
Are there times when she does NOT expect it?
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:01 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastweedle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Everyone does that when they go swimming, surfing, play football, watch a baseball game in person, ride a bicycle or drive a car. This is no different. I assume personal responsibility for anything bad that happens.
Bicycling is done on public streets populated primarily by automobiles. Swimming and surfing are done in lakes, primarily populated by microbes and toothy fish. Baseball games are populated by very hard and dense balls traveling over 100 mph directly at crowds or people. Out of the norm is not the issue, risk is. We accept those much higher risks and somehow are wimpy about RC. Accepting risk is a necessary cost of remaining alive. Doing that responsibly is what we do every day. Flying is no different. Note that I do not fly in public parks but private property with nobody else present.

Quote:
Quote:
Wrong. I stand in stark contrast to "Why so conservative? Young blooooooooooooooood is here!" I consider the risks carefully and mitigate them. I fly when NOBODY is in front of me. My safety standards probably exceed that of clubs, certainly some of the clubs featured in You Tube videos

Yer, you consider the risks but you're making those decisions for the unwitting public as well .
There is no unwitting public. These are empty fields. Yes I am making the decision for anyone there: nobody. I asked nobody if they minded and nobody said anything. You're really stretching for a point that does not exist. You are saying much more about yourself than you are about me. And it isn't good.

Quote:
Quote:
Well there goes your credibility. You know what they say about stupid assumptions. I have real insurance, not the AMA's full of holes insurance, which has a weasel clause for if you lose radio contact with your plane, or if you hit a family member or anyone who normally belongs on the property on which you fly. But you're pretending I don't have coverage. I say "have you carefully read the actual AMA insurance policy? You're not as covered as you may think." That's just curtains for any belief that you have something worth listening to. The statement "all flying outside of AMA sanction is unsafe and inadvisable" is just plain silly. We will now pause for everyone to have a good laugh at your expense
Who said I had AMA or any insurance?? Oh wait a minute,you did. LOL and you're talking "Stupid assumption"
If you have insurance to Park fly which I doubt , have you ever tested it? You'll find all insurance has loop holes and ' Get out of jail clauses" it's part of the game LOL Just as you wrongly think you are flying safely you also think you are fully insured , I suggest you read your policy, with an Attorney present and do it with a microscope , that fine print between fine print is pretty hard to read otherwise.
Learn to read. nowhere in my quote above do I claim that ANYBODY had AMA insurance. Since you are trolling, probably you are a parkflier, sporting quarter scale turbine jets firing real rockets at soccer games trying to take out the team you don't like. See, THAT is an unfounded accusation. As would be any accusation that you actually are a member of a club or fly at a club field. That would be unfounded too. There's no evidence that you even fly an RC plane or are even a human being. Perhaps you are an alien? There is a point where "not making assumptions" becomes as absurd as making them. Of COURSE I was not accusing you of AMA membership. That would be against RC Groups policy!

In addition to my liability policy I gladly assume personal responsibility for the consequences of anything bad that happens to anyone as a result of any of my activities, including bad things which turn out not to be covered by my insurance. This also is a necessary condition of a non-death status.

Quote:
Quote:
Your premise is flawed, as demonstrated above. Everything that follows is horse manure.
My opinion is questionable and falsifiable (two necessary qualities of any truth), but on examination it is also correct.

I corrected all the errors in your html. Thank me!
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Oct 14, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,049 Posts
Oh James (my first direct response to the trolling party for the benefit of the troller who PM'd me) I came across a flowchart from a thread where alibongo and I were trying to decide when consumption of tinnies was appropriate when flying RC planes. You'd best follow this all-encompassing flow chart to the letter! Inappropriate use of tinnies can result in injury, death or similar embarrassing condition:
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Oct 14, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
This thread has flying monkey syndrome.

Monkey does as monkey does.
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat