HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:22 AM
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
Question
been thinking about the next helli but not sure what to get.

The thing is I want to keep small so I don't have to travel to fly and to keep costs down. I have a mcpx and a nano and a sr120. a 250 would be the biggest I can go and that may push it. but I want quality and maybe something not full of problems. the blade 130x with it's problems worries me but it does not seem like there is much better between it and a align t-rex 250 pro dfc super combo. I don't think I will ever be a hard core 3d guy I just want to fly around. But I may be missing some hello's I prefer FBL as thats what I am used to land no use going backwards. not having a tail motor would be nice too.
fooferdoggie is offline Find More Posts by fooferdoggie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:38 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,380 Posts
It's an awkward time in heliworld. The trend is toward multirotors/quads which leaves skeletal engineering effort for conventional models. 120SR may have been the peak in conventional RTF under 450.

If I still had a hobby budget I'd go quad. But I don't so I'll just have to read about it.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:59 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
I don't own one, but I hear good reports on the Gaui X2.
I just have the bigger Brother (X5) and would never part with it.
Gaui quality is streets ahead of Align which is average at best IMO.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, TX, Belton
Joined Sep 2009
138 Posts
The 130x is a FANTASTIC helicopter. HH is aware of some issues, and the last 2 tail rotors I received were dead nuts square between the shaft and hub. This was the MAJOR issue with tail vibes. Sometimes if you get the 'boca' bearings it helps too, but with the shaft/hub not being square...it will tear that thing apart. I used a homemade puller and removed the hub from the shaft, widened the hole a tiny amount with a tiny drill bit by hand, pressed the hub back on and CA'd it in place, with it square, and let it sit over night. Put it all back together and NO vibes whatsoever!! HH sent a new shaft and other parts that were damaged from the original non-square tail shaft and I installed them, along with the new hub they sent and this thing is PERFECT now!!
Don't be afraid of this little helicopter! I like it better than all the other helicopters I have! Thinking about getting rid of my V1/V2 T-rex 250 to get another 130x, or the 300x!
PKM_Heliman is offline Find More Posts by PKM_Heliman
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
I like the gaui x2 but that is a bit much to spend for my skill level. been playing with the mqx not sure of hardcore quads are for me or not.
130 would be a good price range sand maybe upgrade the funky parts. I can get parts a few blocks from my house and they are affordable.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:09 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
I've been flying my 120 SR for awhile, and wantino move up too. I'm never going to be a 3D guy, so really no need for CP. I've been eyeing the NOVUS 200FP. Ours a little bigger than the 120, and all metal drive train. The only thing I don't like is it comes with a TX.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:39 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Even if you dont intend to ever fly 3d, CP helis fly better
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:39 PM
United States, TX, Belton
Joined Sep 2009
138 Posts
^ +1
PKM_Heliman is offline Find More Posts by PKM_Heliman
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:00 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmd_man View Post
I've been flying my 120 SR for awhile, and wantino move up too. I'm never going to be a 3D guy, so really no need for CP. I've been eyeing the NOVUS 200FP. Ours a little bigger than the 120, and all metal drive train. The only thing I don't like is it comes with a TX.
A Novus 200FP would be a downgrade for you after flying the 120 SR. It is a clone of the Walkera 180D which has got some very funny flight characteristics outdoors. The whole heli could be blown away by the wind like a kite and it is very difficult to do left turns.

If you are looking for something cheap and durable in that size, I would look at the Walkers Master CP with a cheap Devo 7 or Devo 7E transmitter. However, you would have to replace the servos. There is also the Walkera V120D02S which is relatively problem free compared to the 130X. However, it does not perform as well as the 130X in 3D.

What I gathered is that you are less likely to have problems with the 130X if you buy directly from HH. It is possible that they check the heli before it is sent out. It will be also be easier to return the heli for a free service. If you a 130X from a LHS, you should ask them to test fly in front of you before you pay. At least, you will be able to avoid having a DOA heli. Since I am not in the US where there is no direct HH support, I will not be getting a 130X until most of the quality problems have been sorted out.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
I got tired of the 120 once I started getting the hang of the mcpx the time it takes to go forward when you push on the stick sucks. All the bobbing while starting and stopping. It is a tough little thing but for the landing gear. But even without 3d a cp is more fun.
I will get the 130 I earned 650 today for cutting a bunch of mdf. Got to award myself for all if that dust.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
Best of luck with the 130! It's kindof a tweener size, between the 120 and 250s.

I've got the T-rex 250 DFC and it's fantastic. Personally I love the build process and being OCD about every detail, if that's not you, skip the 250. In terms of quality and power the 250 is in another class from the 130x but of course it doesn't crash as well. I'd be a bit leery of the QC issues that the 130 has, but if you're not precise in building the 250 it can behave just as badly.

I really considered the X2 FES instead of the 250 but it's a slightly larger heli almost a 300 size and pretty expensive. The X5, however will be my next heli
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, CA, Chowchilla
Joined Aug 2009
958 Posts
v120d02s is the best thing. search it up. the 130x is not a great choice...
helikido is online now Find More Posts by helikido
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:34 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
I have actually owned a few of both the 120d02s and the 130x. The 130x is hands down a better flyer.......
You will be happy with your purchase and you will actually get product support if you ever need it
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
well got it tonight. I was playing with it it does have tail vibe on lower rpms and maybe just tape on a blade to balance it out may take care of it. everything seems solid though one stripped screw on the boom support rod but thats not a big deal. have to play with the pitch curve as I have zero closer to 1/3 stock so I have more room to work with level flight.
I was only able to over for a few secs in my small cleared space since it was dark.
the 130 is about as large as I want to go as I can step out my door and fly before work or after (well it gets dark now)
of course the battery has to have a off size connector. I had two 400 batteries that would work but they have the normal 3 pin connectors.
not sure if I want to change the pug on the helli yet. I can get an adaptor s oI can charge the batteries on a normal charger so I may just go that way and change the plugs on the two batteries I have.
wel lI used the tape method to find the heavy blade. I could not make a small enough piece to get it right but a few strokes of the knife on the trailing edge of the heavy tail blade and the vibration is gone. nice and smooth throttle up.
from all of my reading every helli but the top end have problems.
not sure How well a builder I would be if things don't work it gets frustration and i don't have as much patience for them. Not sure but I doubt I know enough to do all the electronics and everything right.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:56 AM
United States, CA, Chowchilla
Joined Aug 2009
958 Posts
Not trying to make you feel bad or anything, but if you would have gotten the v120d02s... u would have gotten a reliable and nice durable trainer cp heli that just works WITHOUT tail issues and the such. Good luck with the 130x and I know that they now have some metal upgrades for the tail, idk if it fixes the tail vine though?
helikido is online now Find More Posts by helikido