Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:32 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
@ IoNsIo
it looked more like a slight pin compression mark in the first layer of the lamination to me, this often happens when pins are used for forming the part and really is not an issue from my experience, these laminated areas are amazingly robust for their size and weight!

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:49 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumps View Post
@ IoNsIo
it looked more like a slight pin compression mark in the first layer of the lamination to me, this often happens when pins are used for forming the part and really is not an issue from my experience, these laminated areas are amazingly robust for their size and weight!

Craig
"Pin compression mark" right where a thin strip makes a sharp angle? Sorry but it is what it is: a fracture.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Last edited by loNslo; Oct 15, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:55 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
IoNslo,
Only lighthearted comments, I assure you, that's why I put the 'seriously though' before making a real remark.
As I said, I was sure you didn't intend your remarks to be critical, but that is how they read, in both instances. That's the one problem with this media, words come across, but not the way in which they are intended.
I don't think your comment about the fracture was dismissed out of hand, just that there is more than one perspective on how much of a problem it was likely to cause. Had it been on a tailplne leading edge then I would agree with you, it definitely could be an issue, but not where it is.
As for the suggestion of a section on the plan, if I can fit one, I will add it. It's obviously something that needs it.
Just to explain my earlier comments, and how the inadequacy of the media can lead to crossed wires, while you meant it should be on there somewhere, it read as an instruction to put it on there.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,864 Posts
I say lets duke it out.

IoNslo, I didn't dismiss your comments and did in fact take a look at the rudder this morning. It is very firm, the wood was just compressed by a pin. I drop of CA is all it needs.
If this piece fails it will be because it met the motor coming back the other way after running low on altitude.

Didn't get a chance to do to much today on the 22.
Worked on a couple jets and did some battery butchering.

Will try to finish up that wing panel tomorrow.

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:23 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
That's okay mate, you are allowed the odd day off. Next one should be due sometime after Xmas.

Pete
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:28 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Focus is slipping again mate.
How you mount your servos is up to you. As long as you show what you changed, and make mention of it in the write-up. As far as I'm concerned, it just shows options.

Pete
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,701 Posts
Cajun and Doll House, how go the PT-22 builds?

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:37 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,864 Posts
I'm back on mine.
Got the jet fly-in behind me and then started on a few repairs and mods to some planes in the hangar. Then Thanksgiving week was busy. ...too many irons in the fire.

Most of the parts in the short kit are assembled.
Really don't have enough 1/16 sheets on hand to complete the planking, waiting on an order from National Balsa to show up any minute though.
When I get far enough along I'll post some pics.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:26 AM
Semper Fly
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Oct 2004
133 Posts
Hey all.
Finally got to check in on the PT 22 builds.
Boogie, your PT is looking good.
Kdahlhaus, I hope your not waiting on me to start your build,
I just moved into my new house so I think within a few weeks I'll be back on the PT 22 build, In the mean time I can at least watch one go together here.

With sincerest apologies to Pete
Scott

Ps Anyone from around the Boise, Meridian areas out there?
Marineair is offline Find More Posts by Marineair
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:24 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,864 Posts
After many delays & distractions I'm back on the Recruit.
Finally got my balsa wood order in from National. There was almost a 2 week delay from the time I placed the order until it was shipped.
In the mean time I started on my MiG 19 scratch build and a little HET F-16. So it was easy to get sidetracked.

Anyhoo...
wrapping up the wings & fuse halves glued together. Next step is to sheet the fuse and start working on the nose. But the motor I was going to use is too big, don't know how far I can get on the cowl without it. So, when I get a close estimate of what the final weight will be I'll pick lout a new motor.

I debated whether or not to sheet the bottom center section before joining the wings. On a straight wing design it would have been a no brainer. With the swept wing, I wanted to be able to get in there and really make sure the joiner was really secure as there are spacers between the joiner and the spars. Also, will forgo using the balsa spacers (parts DH1A & DH2A) and make some more out of hardwood. The balsa ones may have sufficed but I plan on over powering this one and high G maneuvers will be the norm.
This is a tough airframe, can't wait to wring it out.

Julian
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:52 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,538 Posts
Use whatever motor Pete put on the plans. He is usually very conservative so you won't have a lack of power.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:59 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
It would, of course, help if I could remember which motor I've shown on the plan. Just checking, and since ample power is required, a reverse mounted AXI 2820 just needs another ply doubler on top of M or, depending on how you feel about adjusting shaft length to suit your prop driver, a Turnigy 4240 goes in nicely. It may not need adjusting, but it depends on how far onto the shaft your prop driver fits. Alternatively, making the nose block a tiny bit deeper would work.

Going from the measurements, and it sounds familiar, I'd say it's a Turnigy 3536 shown. 500+ watts sounds about right for a model of this size - if you like ample power. Too much more might give ballooning problems at full throttle. I remember what my Ryan's Daughter was like with about 100 watts/lb - it would almost take off in it's own length. Fun, but a little scary at times.

Pete
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:35 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,701 Posts
The full size PT-22 was a trainer that probably had to dive to gain enough airspeed to loop. IMHO any more than 60 watts/lb on the model would be a waste.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:53 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
It would, of course, help if I could remember which motor I've shown on the plan. Just checking, and since ample power is required, a reverse mounted AXI 2820 just needs another ply doubler on top of M or, depending on how you feel about adjusting shaft length to suit your prop driver, a Turnigy 4240 goes in nicely. It may not need adjusting, but it depends on how far onto the shaft your prop driver fits. Alternatively, making the nose block a tiny bit deeper would work.

Going from the measurements, and it sounds familiar, I'd say it's a Turnigy 3536 shown. 500+ watts sounds about right for a model of this size - if you like ample power. Too much more might give ballooning problems at full throttle. I remember what my Ryan's Daughter was like with about 100 watts/lb - it would almost take off in it's own length. Fun, but a little scary at times.

Pete
Pete, I just had to says thanks for your Ryan's Daughter....Here's a couple of pix of mine built in 2009, still one of my favorites to take to the field.

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge