HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:27 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
I received the kit last Monday but due to time sensitive work stuff I really haven't had a chance to do much on the Recruit.
Very much impressed with the wood from Charlie.

Here's my progress so far.
Top & bottom fuse halves pretty much done. Bottom half went together rather uneventful but did have a couple minor hitches with top half.

When fitting the top keel (K2T) into the top fuse formers it seemed a little too long and bowed former F7T.
I did a double checked all the other interlocking pieces several times just knowing I had something out of whack. The only ill fit was at F7T
I wound up cutting a little out of the notch in K2T and it all fit well.
Will be interested if kdahlhaus has the same problem. ...or if I goofed something.

Also, there are two sets of former F4T that fit along side FST. There is no notch in FST for the rear pair of F4T.
No biggie. I didn't see it as a critical part and just sanded off the tab and glued it in.

Did a quick mock up of the two fuse halves just to see what she'll look like.

After scratch build four jets in a row working with these laser cut parts seems like cheating.
Almost feels like I'm putting together an ARF.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:36 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Julian, nice work. You've made a lot more progress than me. I'll keep an eye out for K2T's length when I get there.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:31 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
I've checked my files and can't see any reason for K2T to be too long. I took the one off the parts sheet and it fits precisely over the one on the plan. I expected it to because the one on the parts sheet was taken directly from the plan and rotated for better grain direction. However, it isn't unknown for a part to get stretched as well as moved, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.
As regards the F4T issue, a new part has magically appeared on both plan and cut file. F4TA doesn't have the top tab.

I assume you'll spring part X into place, although I actually intended it to be part of the internal box from the outset.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Last edited by PETERRAKE; Oct 06, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:01 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
You still need to keep a check on the photos guys. Having looked more closely at them, several are either grainy or out of focus.

Pete
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
Ok Pete, I'll work on my photo skills.
I usually take two or three shots of the same view and pitch out the worst ones.

I still think I goofed the top fuse half some how.. I'm going to go over it thoroughly when I get back to the shop Monday.
If you look at photo #100_4181 you can see how far the top keel is sticking out.

Still, when I put the two halves together, all the top & bottom formers looked to be lined up together.

Guess we won't know until kdahlhaus gets that far.

Julian
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:53 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
she is coming along very nicely mate, Pete's round fuselaged planes jig together so nicely, it is unfortunate that they are a PITA for him to design though, I am thankful that he makes the effort for us!
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:33 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
Got all the laminating done and ready to whip up the wing panels.& tail planes.
Photo skills still suck. Well, maybe a little improvement.

I have a much better JVC camera, but I've misplaced the charger.
I'll find it tonite.

Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:44 PM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,118 Posts
Watching - Looking good! -
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:02 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,350 Posts
Laminating them should make them very strong for their weight. Nice curves.
loNslo is online now Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
Thanks guys.

Stab framed up.
After getting the OK from Pete, I went with a counter balance elev as on the full scale PT-22.
No real change from the Pete's design as making the outline laminations would be the same if you were to go with a straight hinge line out to the tip.

I felt the part T4 was made from much too soft balsa to hold the control horn. So I cut another from the same stock as I used on the LE/TE of the stab/elev.

Feels like I'm lagging on this build. But I'm doing this in between getting a bunch of jets ready for a Veteran' Day Fly-in at a nearby club.
If the sun, moon and stars all line up I may be able to bring the Recruit along too!

Julian
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:07 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
I would just point out that while that photo shows balanced elevators, the three view used to draw the plan doesn't show them. Obviously there is a choice about whether or not to include this detail.

Pete
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
I'm not a "scale detail nut" (as y'all may discover towards the end of this build) and I went back & forth debating with myself whether or not to do the counter balance.
In fact, I had the hinge boards cut out full length then said "what the hell" and went with the scale look.

So, ...no comments on improved photos with the new camera Pete?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:58 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
Definitely sharper mate. Just the ticket, in fact.

Pete
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:52 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
Pete, forgot to ask, I was dry fitting a wing panel together this afternoon and was unclear about a detail on the plan.

First off, is the laminated wing tip flush with the bottom of the ribs or centered in the airfoil/LE?
The notes you had on the plan out in the wing tip: 3/16 balsa curve to tip top and bottom & fill between spars using curve to tip 3/16 balsa top and bottom had me scratchin' my head about that.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:15 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
The tip is central to the wing section, with those pieces of balsa shaped to curve down to it from above and up to it from below. It could be built flat to the board, but wouldn't look as realistic and might complicate the l.e. sheeting.

Pete