Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:36 PM
I see creative people
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
33 Posts
Discussion
Carrying the torch on a big scale tug

Greetings all,
My first post here. I recently picked up a partial kit from Craigslist. It was built to the point it is at by a 92 year old gentleman that passed away. I bought the kit from his good friends. It is a 57 inch long model of the UK tugboat M.T Moorcock. His work is very nice detailed with fine lines. I hope to do it justice in the end. I was joking with my girl about towing us in a canoe with an RC tug after she started having wrist problems while paddling in our kayaks. When I was younger I had two Mr. Darby tug kits in my hands. I never got to build them and being young I sold them to probably pay bills. I still kick myself for that. Last year I missed a complete Mr. Darby in a second hand shop by two hours. So after a 2 hour drive I secured this boat. I have a lot of plans for this winter for it. But I need some help. I am really behind on current products. Like the best glues for wood. As for past experience. I still have my very first wood boat kit I built as a kid. A dumas swamp buggy I eventually converted to RC. I completed tons of plastic kits. I have a fast Vee hull that is not complete yet. I also run an axial scorpion rock crawler. So I have kept up with some of this fun hobby. But as to wood working I am going to have to tool up some and ask some questions. I am reading up on all the threads and projects as fast as time permits. Even my gal was amazed at some of the pictures you folks have posted. My list of questions is down to about 350

I obtained faded and lightly used blueprints with this model. Did this kit come with any wood or did this man scratch build everything I have here? I have an unanswered email to waverly models in the UK with this same question.
What is the best wood glue now? I prefer strength as a first attribute.
What is the best paint to use now?
Is there any type of wood I should avoid when I make the superstructure?
Are there any members here with this model?
Are there any other sites like shipspotting.com (Thankyou!!!) that may have pictures of the real tug?
Are there any RC boating events to attend in Portland Oregon? Soon or next season?

And when building my jeep rock crawler I found Dollhouse miniatures has a really great selection of all kinds of detail items for our models. If you want to put a cast iron fry pan on your galley table this is the site. Garage tools, outdoor camping gear etc. http://www.dollhouseminiatures.net/i...index&cPath=60

I'm grateful to find this site. Model boat mayhem has still not responded back yet. I will try to post some pictures. My build list and parts list including bookmarks so far are several pages. I am eager to get started. I have a few more things to do to prep for winter. My home is off limits due to black mold. So I will be making a spot in a shed to do this. I will post progress pictures. And I am sure I will have some questions. I will keep using the search feature and the links are great!

Cheers...
StillH2otug is offline Find More Posts by StillH2otug
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:55 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,202 Posts
COOL !

You are Lucky.

Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
Still,

You can use aircraft ply for the wood or styrene if you are more comfortable with plastic, it looks like the original builder did a great job so you have a wonderful start. As for glues CA, epoxy, or regular old wood glue it’s really more of a preference what does it look like was originally used? She looks great and I am sure you will have a great time and learn a lot.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:42 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,135 Posts
Nice score.

Found a couple of things.

MOORCOCK
IMO 5241283 /(GBR)ON 301004
272 GRT, L34,60m(32,01), B8,74m, Dr3,823m, Dp4,42m (113'6"(105'0")x28'8"(28'3")x12'6.1/2"(14'6"))
1 scr, diesel 2tew 8cyl British-Polar, 1600bhp-1178kW, sp 12kn

MOORCOCK
1959: Built by "Henry Scarr Ltd" at Hessle (GBR) (YN 763)
1959 -xx/10: delivered to "Gamecock Tugs Ltd", mng "Ship Towage (London) Ltd" at London (GBR)
(GBR flag, regd London, ON 301004, c/s GFJU)
1969: merged into "London Tugs Ltd", mng "Ship Towage (London) Ltd" at London (GBR)
1975: taken over by "ATCL - Alexandra Towing Co Ltd" at Liverpool (GBR)
1981 -xx/12: broken up at Queensborough (GBR)
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:23 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,376 Posts
Welcome mate, nice find.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:58 PM
I see creative people
Joined Oct 2012
33 Posts
Great information there. Thank you. I added the pictures to the growing file. I think I have enough to get some resemblance to the real vessel. It looks like the real tug was scrapped in 1981. It looked like it had a lot of life left.
I want to go into town this evening or tomorrow to find some high quality wood drill bits. The holes were so clean on this boat I thought it was a die cut kit. I am understanding it is all scratch built now.
Woodybob Thanks for the spec's. I have looked for a few hours now on the tug. It seems there is always more to discover.
I'll stick with wood for the rest of the build. And thanks for the words on the glue Kcal.

I want to do the upper deck in the dark brown with white trim and stained wood up top. I think that will look ok with the red hull and grey interior. I am considering changing the color to a black hull. Any votes?

One thing I am having trouble locating is the correct size smokestack with the ribbing. I can make one just fine but wondered if any are sold out there already made.

I appreciate anything I can learn about this kit and real boat. So please keep it coming.

I will have some reading to do and questions on motors and batteries later. I have not kept up on brushless tech. Everything I run is brushed. I am assuming 12 volts is the best choice.

Cheers.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:13 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,135 Posts
Check this outů Links: information and sources
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:36 PM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillH2otug View Post
Great information there. Thank you. I added the pictures to the growing file. I think I have enough to get some resemblance to the real vessel. It looks like the real tug was scrapped in 1981. It looked like it had a lot of life left.
I want to go into town this evening or tomorrow to find some high quality wood drill bits. The holes were so clean on this boat I thought it was a die cut kit. I am understanding it is all scratch built now.
Woodybob Thanks for the spec's. I have looked for a few hours now on the tug. It seems there is always more to discover.
I'll stick with wood for the rest of the build. And thanks for the words on the glue Kcal.

I want to do the upper deck in the dark brown with white trim and stained wood up top. I think that will look ok with the red hull and grey interior. I am considering changing the color to a black hull. Any votes?

One thing I am having trouble locating is the correct size smokestack with the ribbing. I can make one just fine but wondered if any are sold out there already made.

I appreciate anything I can learn about this kit and real boat. So please keep it coming.

I will have some reading to do and questions on motors and batteries later. I have not kept up on brushless tech. Everything I run is brushed. I am assuming 12 volts is the best choice.

Cheers.
this certainly wasn't a kit.........there were no kits of the Moorcock ever released.....my bet is that with the plank on frame hull you have it was very fonely crafted from scratch by the old gent, and nicely made too............all parts for her will have to be fabricated from scratch, unless you can find period fittings at 1:32 scale which I believe is what scale the tug at that size was built to.
neil.
try this site for more infop on her. http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?P...e6b6fda4c9af7;
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:34 PM
I see creative people
Joined Oct 2012
33 Posts
So this boat is quite a find it sounds. The parts were cut so uniformly I would swear they were die cut. I had better email the family back. I asked them if any of the other parts might be misplaced with his airplane stuff. I had better do some good work on it. And woodybob, the links is where I found the shipspotting site where I located the best photo's yet. So I need to keep looking as I nodded off late the other night before I finished seeing everything..

Today I picked up a few things. I bought a ryobi scroll saw and blades. I found some wood bits. I am betting forstner bits make the cleanest cuts? I also stopped at a hobby store in town I have never been to before. They had lots of wood to build with. I picked up three types of glue, several pieces of plywood, and quite a bit of different pieces of wood in many profiles. Some more clamps etc. I have a very extensive collection of metal working tools for intricate metal work, but I see I'll need a few more things.

NPH, I suspected as much on it not being a kit. Thanks for taking the time to post about it. I'm enjoying the learning process. I have some more questions that I will post up later. I'll do some more searching also. This is a great site. I am glad I found it.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:38 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,202 Posts
[QUOTE=StillH2otug;22924844]So this boat is quite a find it sounds. The parts were cut so uniformly I would swear they were die cut. I had better email the family back. I asked them if any of the other parts might be misplaced with his airplane stuff.

Airplane stuff ????

What other treasures might there be ...

Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:04 AM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
Still,
nice finding, well done, keep on the good work
welcome to tug's world

mp
Melih PEKOL is offline Find More Posts by Melih PEKOL
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:46 PM
I see creative people
Joined Oct 2012
33 Posts
Thanks MP! Tim the mans name was Ken. When Liz and I picked up the boat it was from some close friends of his. I guess Ken was a nut. Jumping horses with two arms in casts, (off a cliff into a river) always looking for fun, things like that. He had planes and who knows what else. His family took most of his RC stuff and it is not able to be asked about. I will absolutely enjoy finishing it from here.
So I have sourced most of the detail things. The electronics and running gear need to be dialed in. I need to read up more.

I have a 4 channel radio on the shelf. I think I am going to need more channels.

Has anyone ever sunk a boat and lost it? That would be upsetting. I plan on a bilge pump with it's own power supply activated by water. I noticed how easily water could enter the hull. I want to install some rails in the hull openings to combat this. I was unsure enough flotation could be put in the hull to keep it on the surface.
I started thinking about putting a mylar balloon (one that says best wishes?) inside the small inflatable boat cylinder mounted on the deck. Connected to a small clear line and a light nylon recovery line fed carefully through the cylinder mount under the deck to a compact kayak life vest inflation system stolen from a life vest. The nylon line would anchor to a mount on one of the hull ribs. In the event of a sinking the system would activate the replaceable pressurized cylinder inflating the mylar balloon and hopefully give a tether to retrieve your boat. It might take out the mast and railing but you would still have a boat.
Fun stuff to think about. I've got enough on my plate already.
Tonight I hope to clear out some more work space. If winter would hurry up I could justify getting started .

Cheers,
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:07 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,475 Posts
No worrys about sinking.
You have a large enough boat that you should notice if it is getting low in the water
prior to it actually sinking.

I used to get sunk once a month. Recovering the boat and getting it running could
be done in 15 minutes, if everything was appropriately protected.
I think my record is being sunk five times in one day.
New rule for that weekend was, "You don't HAVE to battle the heavy cruisers."

Scirocco Sinking during 2002 Nationals (0 min 10 sec)

I doubt your model will ever experience combat, but
If you are really worried disguise one of these on the deck somewhere...
http://www.waterbuoy.net/

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Oct 06, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:45 PM
I see creative people
Joined Oct 2012
33 Posts
Now that looks like fun. I have heard about the warships that can shoot BB's. Hilarious.

I have a PM here from Tim that sent me. I hope he does not not mind the cut and paste. I appreciate the feedback.

Alot of folks will throw in, this model is so important you might consider another new boat project until you have a broader foundation of knowledge.

It should not be "altered" needlessly, its a barn find, like coming across a '52 Ferrari thats unrestored, it should be studied and documented before irreversable changes are made.

I have a lot of ideas and energy. This tug is a very welcome diversion for me. Just this morning I was wondering how many of this model tug existed. From what I am learning this is a rare boat. Maybe this will help set some of you at ease. I also collect military trucks. I bought one years ago with intent to make it a big rock crawler. I could not do it. I ended up with a near museum quality truck well adorned with original correct parts. It made a magazine centerfold with an article I wrote. I sold it for a lot of money after realizing I was living too large. I bought a fancy TIG welder and lots of metal working tools which help me make money today. I enjoyed it's originality big time.

I want to keep this boat correct. I also enjoy inventing things. I apologize if I sounded like I had a chain saw idling in my hand. What you read this morning was indeed caffeine powered...I am fortunate that the hull is done. At 48 years old I doubt I could take the time to build it. I am confident I can do a first class job from the deck up. I have been searching for some pictures of some lowboy trailers I built for a model company. I wanted to show my skill level sort of... And if any of you have a copy of of "Custom Classic trucks august 2012 issue. I built the truck on the front cover. I pledge to make this ship my best work. I am honored to have it. I am also grateful for the feedback. I welcome it while I build also. I am an amateur and I know it. With the help available here, I bet it will be a fine ship when it is finished.

What I would not give for a 52 Ferrari
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:52 PM
I see creative people
Joined Oct 2012
33 Posts
That does look like a lot of fun. So do you have duct tape in your tool box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
No worrys about sinking.
You have a large enough boat that you should notice if it is getting low in the water
prior to it actually sinking.

I used to get sunk once a month. Recovering the boat and getting it running could
be done in 15 minutes, if everything was appropriately protected.
I think my record is being sunk five times in one day.
New rule for that weekend was, "You don't HAVE to battle the heavy cruisers."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2MGJw8jFB8

I doubt your model will ever experience combat, but
If you are really worried disguise one of these on the deck somewhere...
http://www.waterbuoy.net/