SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Mar 2005
182 Posts
Add a little liquid dish soap to the water for wet sanding, makes a big difference, just a drop is all you need!

Ron
Ronald Mong is online now Find More Posts by Ronald Mong
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, HI, Pearl City
Joined Aug 2006
312 Posts
Hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a try.

Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Mong View Post
Add a little liquid dish soap to the water for wet sanding, makes a big difference, just a drop is all you need!

Ron
wsmorton is offline Find More Posts by wsmorton
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:49 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,951 Posts
I myself am not too knowledgeable on this whole subject but I would guess that using a sander/polisher (and I understand you were planning on just maybe using it to only polish, never the less) being a pneumatic one, it would go way too fast. Orbiter polishers go relatively slow, and it's too easy to start creating low spots. MAYBE one or two quick passes, but still it would probably be best to just do it by hand and with the all foam pads to contour the airfoil well. Besides if you do it on your lap with a big towel over you while watching TV you'll be done before you know it.
fly2bob is offline Find More Posts by fly2bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Oct 14, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarmark View Post
Yep, +1 on the hand wet sanding to 2000 grit. Then polishing with a good fine polish, If you want a high end polisher here's a link to one. They deal in high quality products for people who are anal about their cars. I'm not associated to them in any way, but have used some of their products. Since you aren't going into production or doing multiple cars by hand is safer and cheaper.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks
Definitely not cheaper it looks like.
fly2bob is offline Find More Posts by fly2bob
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
United States, HI, Pearl City
Joined Aug 2006
312 Posts
I recently tried adding a drop of liquid dish washing soap to the water bottle that I use for wet sanding. It helped a lot! The sandpaper seemed to last longer and stay cleaner. The sand paper also worked faster than without the drop or two of soap in the water bottle.

Thanks!!
Scotty
wsmorton is offline Find More Posts by wsmorton