HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:21 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
New Product
Spektrum DSM2 ladybird v1/v2 & 939 flight control board discussion

This thread is being started based on a discussion that started in the Micro RTF Quadcopters Thread, due to possibly being a whole different type of thread based around the product being offered.

This is not the mqx/ladybird hybrid that has been discussed in other threads, but yet a new board that has been created as an exact drop in, in place of the ladybird/v939 board in order for your quad to be controlled using a DSM2 Spektrum Transmitter to fly the ladybird/v939.

At the moment little is known about it due to no one (at least on the forums) having one yet or hearing any real information on it. However a few have ordered them and hopefully we will learn if this will allow us to fly the ladybird/v939 with the same precision and maneuverability as the original while using a Spektrum Tx.

So far the 2 places that seem to have it for sale are:

9imod.com

and

hobby-wing.com

EDIT

It seems that there are three places now carrying a BNF version. So all you'll have to do is charge up the 240mah lipo and bind to spektrum radio and you're ready to go. Here are links for the BNF version.

9imod.com

rc711.com

hobby-wing.com

Product Description

The Flight-Ctrl Board is a DSM2 system for Quad-copter, compatible with all JR, Spektrum DSM2 system 2.4G requiring full range 5ch up transmitter.

This Controller could be used to modify V939, Ladybird, Ladybird V2.

Specification:
Remote control distance: > 80 m
Drive motor current: 1500 mA
Low-voltage protection: 3.0V
Fail-Safe: after 2 seconds closing motor output
Outline dimension: 25 * 26 mm
Mounting hole size: 20 * 20 mm

II. Mode of Connection

Connect the motor to flight control board in accordance with the above method, when the motor rotating in the opposite direction, swap two motor lines to adjust.

III. Bind:

The Flight-Ctrl Board must be bound to the transmitter before it will operate for the first time. The detailed operation is as follows: Do not turn on the transmitter at first, but power on the Flight-Ctrl Board. Wait for LED starts blinking fast, then the Flight-Ctrl Board will be into frequency mode£»turn on the transmitter bind switch to boot (Same as the ordinary receiver frequency mode, referring to the instructions of the remote control), when the FC board LED flash slowly means radio has received signal, do not move the FC board at this time until the LED stays on, it can flight directly after LED lit. It is unnecessary to bind with transmitter next flight, but turn on the transmitter at first, and then power on flight control board.

IV. Flight control board power-up initialization

The FC board will be initialized when it connects to power. Once it connects to power, LED will flash, and then FC will wait for transmitter signal. Make sure you have opened the remote control and joystick (including Trim) is in the middle. Under the throttle channel joystick is in the smallest, and the LED is not lit during waiting for the remote control signal. If no signal is received within the specified time, then enter the frequency mode. Receiving the remote control signal, it will go into the gyroscope self-test status, at this time the LED will flash every two times. Keep the FC circumstance no vibration, nor could get in the hands. When Gyro self test is completed and LED stays on mean it can fly.

V. Low-voltage protection

when the battery voltage is lower than 3.0V, the FC will go into the low voltage protection mode. Then LED will flash, while slowly reducing the speed of the motor until the motor stops.

VI. Fail-safe
Motor will stop in 2 seconds when the flight control can not receive the signal.

VII. Flight control parameter adjustment

UPDATED

This has been updated to the directions created by Oxygen which worked for him, myself and others, so a huge shout out for the correct way to set this quad up

I figured it out (with some help from others) this is my setup on my DX6i

My goal was set to have the board/LB react to the GYRO switch to switch from 3D mode (10%) to Stable mode (55%)

1. remove power from the LB and set all the switches on the TX to there default 0 position
2. power up the TX and select a new model (or reset a model)
3. set model type to HELI
4. set model name [something usefull]
5. check that all REVERSE options are set to N
6. set SWASH TYPE to 1 SERVO 90
7. check that D/R EXPO is all 100%
8. set TRAVEL ADJ GYRO to 55% (switch position 0)
9. flip the GYRO switch (to position 1) and set TRAVEL ADJ GYRO to 10% (this will be 3D mode)
10. check that SUB TRIM is all 0
11. check that GYRO is set to INH
12. all other MIX options should be INH
13. power down the TX
14. power the Ladybird
15. wait until the light blinks fast
16. power the TX with the trainer button (BINDING MODE) and wait for the light on the LB to blink slower -- and release the Trainer button (TX stops beeping)
17. wait for a steady light on the LB

You are DONE

P.S. remember you are still in 3D mode (gyro/flap switch is in the 1 position) -- and that is a lot of FUN but a bit hard for a beginner
P.P.S. if you go over 60% there will be a very noticeable wobble in the bird in low throttle mode
P.P.P.S if you change the GYRO switch while in flight it will not alter the Flight Characteristics!!! you have to move throttle back to 0 (on the ground) to achieve that!

Due to the different models, definition of the remote control may not be exactly the same, so please be sure aircraft movements before the first flight

This Controller could be used to modify V939, Ladybird, Ladybird V2.

From a few video's it seems to be very stable and in the one outdoor video you can see it is extremely windy and yet the wind doesn't seem to effect the stability of the quad.

First here is a video showing how easy the switch is from 9imod's website:
9imod.com-JR Spektrum DSM2 RX installed to Walekra Ladybird (4 min 11 sec)

Here is a video of it flying indoors:
9imod.com-JR Spektrum DSM2 Ladybird with Spektrum DSX7 test flight (2 min 9 sec)

A video flying outdoors in heavy winds:
20120926 V939 + DSM2 receiver (outdoor windy test flight) (2 min 50 sec)

Video from rc711.com
www.RC711.com - Walkera QR Ladybird Outdoor Test Flight (4 min 2 sec)

Ultimately I think this will be interesting to see how well it performs in all situations. If the ladybird/v939 doesn't lose any of it's flight characteristics which in my mind are just incredible as is, then I think this could be a huge seller.

I loved my mqx/ladybird hybrid, but #1 it involves a little stripping of wires and the board is really large for the size of quad and using larger batteries really weighed it down. #2 even though it was aerobatic, I find it sluggish and slow in it's flips and rolls after doing the same maneuvers on a real deal ladybird. #3 this is about as plug and play as you get and you can still use the stock canopies. #4 many like to led mods and with this it seems as though it would also be plug and play. Just byv939 booms plug them in and you're good to go.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Last edited by jlcamp7; Nov 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:22 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Hobby-wing.com is selling a BNF model

You can check it out here:
http://www.hobby-wing.com/dsm2-quadcopter-arf.html
Last edited by jlcamp7; Oct 06, 2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:11 PM
Russia
Joined Nov 2007
157 Posts
I have MQX/Ladybird hybrid too, and it flies like crazy with 300mAh Nanotechs!
MQX board is completely covered under the slim U816 (LB clone) canopy so the drag is minimal. I've soldered Micro Jst connectors at the bottom side of the board to lower the canopy. That was a real easy convertion.
And it's only 2g heavier than LB!

It's as stable and manouverable as original LB and even more precise with DX8 TX. And it's better in the wind too (less drag).
As for aerobatics, maybe I'm wrong, but LB's flips are preprogrammed in the firmware. So every time you hit 0/100% elev/aile it's make a flip for you automatically. This is not real aerobatics, it's boring after couple a times and you doesn't learn anything from doing such a "toyflips".

But the board itself is still intresting, mainly becouse of it weights 2-3g less than MQX. Every gramm counts with this tiny quad. 8g extra from 600mAh battery makes a huge difference to my hybrid.
But the MQX board on the other hand is DSMX and $5 cheaper with shipping. And it has basic telemetry function with DX8: RX antenna fades and holds.

UPDATE: I've bought the LB DSM2 BNF from 9imod, so I 'll compare it to the MQX hybrid version whet it arrives.
dehicka is offline Find More Posts by dehicka
Last edited by dehicka; Oct 10, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:15 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
this looks very interesting. can you tell me what advantages it might have over the lower cost blade board used in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1647401

this new board is significantly more expensive. but maybe it has more features? new modes that the mqx dont have?

that mqx project is the one that inspired me to build my own micro hybrid in the first place. however since im a flysky fanboy the wlt v929/v939 was a better choice. i do have a spektrum radio but never use it. is there anything special about this new one compared to the mqx or v929 version. if so it might be worth the extra bucks and dusting off the spektrum.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:36 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
No real info as of yet. Mainly the fact that its more plug and play than a hybrid build and also just looks better at the moment. Meaning its the same sizing as the ladybird board vs. the mqx board which is gigantic on the hybrid. And the ability to use your walkera lipos. I'm not bashing the hybrid and still think its an awesome flying quad. This is just another option that has all the correct plug ins being smaller is lighter. It's really aerobatics that I'm interested to see. I'm sure with using smaller lipos and a different canopy it flies better but having flown the mqx/ladybird hybrid in stock format and the walkera ladybird stock for me there was no comparison. The ladybird was much more maneuverable for me.

Also just a heads up that the ladybird is not auto flip like many of the other clones that have been released.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:54 PM
Russia
Joined Nov 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
I'm sure with using smaller lipos and a different canopy it flies better but having flown the mqx/ladybird hybrid in stock format and the walkera ladybird stock for me there was no comparison. The ladybird was much more maneuverable for me.
It flies MUCH better with 300 lipos! You don't have sufficient thrust with 600 battery for quick maneuvers. Put 600 in the LB and it will fly even worse than hybryd with 600.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:00 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
i found out that was definitely true. even my v929 flies better with 300mah than with the stock 600mah. even more true of my hybrids with their 4 gram frames. its unfortunate not everybody appreciates the advantages of "adding lightness".
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:49 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
It seems a few have been sold so hopefully after the holiday ending this weekend we will see some get shipped out and us getting some hands on reviews.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:40 PM
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,766 Posts
I found this http://www.rc711.com/shop/micro-4ch-...xs-p-6785.html

BNF for 79$ shipping included.

Still a little on the expensive side...

But less than the 21$ for shipping alone that I read somewhere else.

@dehicka : is it me or you had to file your board a little ?

Second pic one of the corner appear filed.

btw where did you found the micro-JST ?
blackmoon is online now Find More Posts by blackmoon
Last edited by blackmoon; Oct 06, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:24 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Good find. Definitely saves in shipping. They have another outdoor video on there. Still a little intrigued as to why we have yet to see the quad do any flips and rolls. I would hope that its not able to pull off those maneuvers. I'm guessing maybe its just not someone that well versed in flying these things or something.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:13 PM
Russia
Joined Nov 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoon View Post
@dehicka : is it me or you had to file your board a little ?

Second pic one of the corner appear filed.

btw where did you found the micro-JST ?
Yep I just cut board corners with wire cutters for better fit. Nothing but ground polygon in there, so it won't damage the board.
My old v929 board was a donor for the connectors. But you can get them from ebay or HK http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5pcs_bag_.html
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:15 PM
flying beam
Joined Apr 2008
1,766 Posts
Thanks for the plugs.

Found another site even cheaper on the BNF and free shipping.

http://9imod.com/index.php?main_page...oducts_id=2060

They claim to have more than 300 units in stock.

Grabbed one couldn't pass a bnf dsm2 for 56.29$ shipped, could I ?

Only the shipping is noted as "best way", don't know what that means.

Hope it is not a 60 days slow boat

The board is also cheaper than others.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:59 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Great find blackmoon. It wasn't until doing a little more digging that I'm seeing they are also offering this bnf model which is the way to go as it comes out cheaper than purchasing the board and booms seperate. Original Post updated with new information.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:53 AM
Russia
Joined Nov 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoon View Post
Thanks for the plugs.
Grabbed one couldn't pass a bnf dsm2 for 56.29$ shipped, could I ?
Grabbed one too. They claim 33g, it's 3g less than my hybrid. It's even cheaper now than a MQX hybrid with UDI U816 parts you can get for $58 shipped

P.S. Ooops: "PayPal cannot process this transaction because of a problem with the seller's website. Please contact the seller directly to resolve this problem"
Last edited by dehicka; Oct 07, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:39 PM
flying beam
Joined Apr 2008
1,766 Posts
I had no PayPal issues, but the site was extremely slow, maybe a maintenance issue.

I received my order confirmation, now the waiting begins.