HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:51 AM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
Discussion
fly with lipo in freezing winter

I have konwn the battery will become inefficient at low temperature... I wonder what heat insulation do you guys use to fly in winter to get the best performance out of them

location.... Minnesota.... the temp in winter is usually -20~-10 c

thx
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:04 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Personally I don't fly just cause hands get way too cold. But I think I remember someone recommending keeping them warm in a cooler with a hand warmer pack or something and then I think a lot of people just put a sock on the battery when using it.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:51 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
I use a bag lined with polystyrene.
A small bag of rice grains is heated in the microwave for a few seconds so it is nice and warm when held in my hand. This is put in the insulated bag along with my lipos.

The heat is contained for a couple of hours or so and the lipos come out nice and warm.

A small plastic bag filled with rice grains is about as cheap as it gets, and is re-usable for months - years maybe ?
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:16 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
Around here it doesn't get that cold, only 0 to -5c at worst in the winter.

Things I've done:
- charge somewhere warm (it's very important to only charge at positive battery temperatures, charging at too low of a temperature can damage lipos)
- keep batteries in warm car (or inside jacket pocket) just before use
- fly only planes where battery is inside plane
- close off all ventilation holes on fuselage with tape

Fly.

Seems to work okay. I give up before batteries do.

For colder temperatures, I think a onboard heater of some sort would be better. Ideally, someone could make a warming blanket that could be plugged into lipo and wrapped around battery with velcro during flight.
groundfx is offline Find More Posts by groundfx
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:00 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundfx View Post
For colder temperatures, I think a onboard heater of some sort would be better. Ideally, someone could make a warming blanket that could be plugged into lipo and wrapped around battery with velcro during flight.
I don't think that would be worth the shortened flight time. Any kind of heater will really drain the battery. If anything buy lower C rated batteries so they generate more heat under load and keep themselves warm.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
How about hand warmer bags. The ones you smash and they generate heat. One bag can last for a few hours. Not sure how heavy they are though.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:09 AM
James not bond
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I don't think that would be worth the shortened flight time. Any kind of heater will really drain the battery. If anything buy lower C rated batteries so they generate more heat under load and keep themselves warm.
this sounds interesting to me... cuz meanwhile you will reach low volt faster than power drain. ?!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Really I think the best idea for in the plane is to insulate the battery the best you can and try and trap any heat the battery generates to keep it warm. The battery itself is a heater (depending on amp draw) so why not utilize that heat.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:51 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Really I think the best idea for in the plane is to insulate the battery the best you can and try and trap any heat the battery generates to keep it warm. The battery itself is a heater (depending on amp draw) so why not utilize that heat.
I tend to agree and it works for my modestly low temperatures. However, new modem high discharge rate lipos don't heat up much so at lower temperatures I think some sort of modest external heater inside an insulated blankest is needed.

A few watts of heat is all that's needed if the insulating blanket is good enough. After all, a 200 lb human can stay warm in cold temps with good clothing and we only give off about 100 watts of heat or so. So that's 0.5 watts per pound.

I'm thinking a little bit of this polymer heater material would work.
http://www.calescofoil.se/index.php?...d=53&Itemid=59
http://www.calescofoil.se/images/sto...nt_wattage.pdf

Anybody know where to buy a small quantity?

If on board heaters are good enough for warming space probe electronics, it should be good enough for R/Cers.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:30 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
379 Posts
When I charge in the winter I charge in a nice warm car. Then while charging I take a dis towel and lay it over the cars heater to get it nice and warm. Then I simply wrap the battery tightly in the towel making as many layers as possible. My plane gets roughly 10 mins and the bats always come out still warm but not hot.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:48 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,747 Posts
I made these little tea cozies out of that foam that electronic devises comes in. Scotch taped together with a velcro flap closure and a piece to hold it to the sides of the profile fuses. As mentioned above, I use the next sized bigger prop in the winter to help the batt. generate a little more heat. Big plus is a little more performance from your planes. We have a woodstove in our clubhouse so if it's sunny out, little wind and above 20F we'll be there. Skis are made from Depron with the bottom skinned with hockey tape for the smaller planes or Coroplast or aluminum for the larger ones.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:34 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
Sweet clubhouse setup!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:42 PM
James not bond
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I made these little tea cozies out of that foam that electronic devises comes in. Scotch taped together with a velcro flap closure and a piece to hold it to the sides of the profile fuses. As mentioned above, I use the next sized bigger prop in the winter to help the batt. generate a little more heat. Big plus is a little more performance from your planes. We have a woodstove in our clubhouse so if it's sunny out, little wind and above 20F we'll be there. Skis are made from Depron with the bottom skinned with hockey tape for the smaller planes or Coroplast or aluminum for the larger ones.

Gord.
sounds great.... I should probably collect the bubble wrap next time

cheers
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:05 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,162 Posts
Hi,

I have been flying with my electric planes down to -20 Celsius (-4 F). The LiPo cell used have been ThunderPower 45C 3250 mAh 3 cell and DesirePower V8 35C 5200 mAh 6 cell.

On the plane You can tape air inlet a little to restrict airflow/cooling but I have not needed to do that.
I charge with 12 volt Pb (lead) 80Ah supply battery in winter (with a Hyperion charger today, before that I had a RC Logic Fusion charger).
I keep the LiPo batteries in my pocket (in jacket) when not in use when I'm out flying when it is cold as -20 C. When charging I let them be in a LiPo sack but You can use other methods to keep them warm but I usually start imediately to charge battery after landing and then the battery is handwarm so it is usually no problem to charge them in my experience (I charge at 2C in the field).

For the transmitter I use a Raydiowarm http://www.raydiowarm.com/
(I have both the older version and the newest version Mk IV and with Mk IV I use a Robbe red neckstrap instead of the original standard harness)

For little heating inside this case I use two Hot Rox http://www.thehotrox.co.uk/

Works fine.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Oct 06, 2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:16 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
Beautiful setting!

I guess one good thing about cold is that every lake becomes a potentially huge flat area to fly at.