SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:05 AM
Grounded in NC
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
New Product
FMS 1700 mm P-51d for Newer Pilots

I wasnt getting much help on a similar thread as it seemed to be for more experienced pilots. So I thought I would start this one for those of us who are newer and might need to ask less interesting questions in hopes of getting better input. I have a lot of questions that more experienced pilots dont want to mess with and am thinking there are more like me out there. Maybe we could use this as a forum for people on a more basic level.
wmartin817 is offline Find More Posts by wmartin817
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:53 AM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Great idea - the premise here should be "There are no stupid questions - just ask"

So what's the first question?
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:07 AM
Grounded in NC
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
I just received the new retracts and struts.
What is the latest wisdom on installing and modding them.
Do I need to adjust the bec to 6 volts?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:08 AM
Grounded in NC
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
btw, thanks for joining in ronht, it was getting frustrating getting ignored on another thread.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:59 AM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
The newest retracts are the ones with PZV2 on them. They should come with instructions on how to mount them. Basically, you have to remove a bit of plastic and a small amount of foam under where they mount, to get them to lie flat in the mount.

Be sure you are getting the retracts all the way in so you have good contact with the wheel well mount under the shoulder of the retracts where the screws go in. When I first installed mine, the screws didn't seem to be grabbing much, then I discovered the retracts were not sitting low enough in the mount. Just be careful when removing the foam as the wing is fairly thin in that area. A dremal, if you don't already have one is a good investment for this hobby.

As far as the BEC goes, the new retracts, from what I've read on the forums, 6v is the correct setting for the new PZV2 retracts. I still have mine set to the lower voltage for the original retracts and haven't changed anything since installing the new ones and I haven't had any problems but I intend to set my BEC back to 6v when I get the chance. Brandonmoon who has a lot of experience with this plane, has stated that he believes the new V2 retracts work better at the 6v setting.
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:45 PM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
268 Posts
i installed the eflites myself they are more money but better you just have to cut some foam just like the PZV2 and also a hole in the center to help the zip tie sit right. depending on what you buy wheter you get the 90* or the 85* you have to do something with that little arm on the ouside door.
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:01 PM
Grounded in NC
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
great info guys, thanks for your help
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:50 PM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
268 Posts
today i switched out the stock esc and bec for a castle ice 100 and a castle bec pro. all fits good inside. also did the prop mod but i used a carbon rod instead of a zip tie
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Dec 13, 2013, 07:05 AM
United States, WI, Oconomowoc
Joined Dec 2013
5 Posts
I'm trying to decide if I should get a 1450 or a 1700 FMS P-51. I'm wondering how you get the 1700 to the airfield. Can you easily take the wing off for transportation?
RibSmoker is offline Find More Posts by RibSmoker
Old Dec 13, 2013, 07:24 AM
Destin,Fl
Joined Nov 2002
567 Posts
I have both 1400mm and 1700mm I love the 1700. Both are great aircraft but the 1700 takes the cake for me. Yes transportation is a bit of a hassle, can only fit one plane in the car but you can take the wings off easy enough (4 screws) I just take the prop and hub off so I can close the hatch on my camaro. The more you have to take apart the more you have to put back on and then take off again, gets to be a bit of a PITA. But the 1700 is worth it in the end.
cmk-2 is offline Find More Posts by cmk-2
Old Dec 13, 2013, 07:48 AM
Joined Nov 2013
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk-2 View Post
I have both 1400mm and 1700mm I love the 1700. Both are great aircraft but the 1700 takes the cake for me. Yes transportation is a bit of a hassle, can only fit one plane in the car but you can take the wings off easy enough (4 screws) I just take the prop and hub off so I can close the hatch on my camaro. The more you have to take apart the more you have to put back on and then take off again, gets to be a bit of a PITA. But the 1700 is worth it in the end.
Can you elaborate on the flight characteristics of both, sort of compare and contrast? I'm considering both as well.

Thanks.
Copperhead13 is offline Find More Posts by Copperhead13
Old Dec 13, 2013, 09:30 AM
Joined Mar 2013
159 Posts
The 1400 models are nice flyers....

The 1700 models are so much nicer, size and weight are the main factors.

I fly my 1700mm Mustang with a 6S 5000mah Turnigy and also a Shockwave sound system....the model is running about 5.5-6kgs in weight and still floats in on landing and also handles the wind/gusts better than my old 1400mm effort.
slapbladder is offline Find More Posts by slapbladder
Old Dec 13, 2013, 09:53 AM
Destin,Fl
Joined Nov 2002
567 Posts
X2. The 1700 handles the weather so much better and the sound of that bigger prop as she goes by is worth the price of admission alone. I to fly with add ons, Shockwave with 2 2inch speakers and bomb drops. As a matter of fact I have not flown the 1400 since I purchased the 1700 and that's been just at a year now. I would sell the 1400 in a blink of an eye it's just that I won't ship it for fear of damage in transit.
cmk-2 is offline Find More Posts by cmk-2
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Dec 2013
5 Posts
Thanks so much for the good information on the FMS 1400 and 1700. 2 questions on the 1700. 1. About how much air time do you get with that big battery? 2. I have to land on somewhat bumpy grass, will the 1700 retracts hold up? Right now I fly the newer Parkzone Corsair and have done pretty well landing it. I did purchase the optional rough landing gear which is nothing more than longer struts and slightly larger tires.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:23 PM
Joined Dec 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk-2 View Post
X2. The 1700 handles the weather so much better and the sound of that bigger prop as she goes by is worth the price of admission alone. I to fly with add ons, Shockwave with 2 2inch speakers and bomb drops. As a matter of fact I have not flown the 1400 since I purchased the 1700 and that's been just at a year now. I would sell the 1400 in a blink of an eye it's just that I won't ship it for fear of damage in transit.

Thanks so much for the good information on the FMS 1400 and 1700. 2 questions on the 1700. 1. About how much air time do you get with that big battery? 2. I have to land on somewhat bumpy grass, will the 1700 retracts hold up? Right now I fly the newer Parkzone Corsair and have done pretty well landing it. I did purchase the optional rough landing gear which is nothing more than longer struts and slightly larger tires.