Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:26 AM
RC lifecycle = Build+Fly+Crash
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
318 Posts
Discussion
Nine Eagles micro Spitfire converted to DSM/Spektrum

Hi,
Does anyone know if the Spektrum AR6400 or AR6400L works with the stock motor and servo in this plane?
I bought this plane and I love it, but would very much like to convert it to DSM so I can use it with my Spektrum Dx6i.
Regards,
Mario
mperaltaoz is offline Find More Posts by mperaltaoz
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:19 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperaltaoz View Post
Hi,
Does anyone know if the Spektrum AR6400 or AR6400L works with the stock motor and servo in this plane?
I bought this plane and I love it, but would very much like to convert it to DSM so I can use it with my Spektrum Dx6i.
Regards,
Mario
The stock motor needs the proper plug soldered on, or you can make a plug out of some wire & heat shrink.

The NE servo won't plug in, but a $13 2030L will plug into the brick and work with the NE linkage (as will any of the HH linear servos).

The longer throw of the L servos will give better feel.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
318 Posts
HH linear servos? What are those?
Also, is it hard to remove the existing RX? It seems to be glued pretty hard...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:18 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
HH linear servos? What are those?
Also, is it hard to remove the existing RX? It seems to be glued pretty hard...
Horizon Hobbies (Eflite/parkzone) linear servos are the AS2000, AS2000L, AS2030L

Ijust trace around bricks with an exacto knife and then peel them out with my fingers.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined Aug 2012
318 Posts
Oh cool, thanks.
So, which brick should I use? AR6400 or AR6400L?
Are there any cheaper options? Those are $79 in Australia... Twice as much as the plane
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:47 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Are there any cheaper options? Those are $79 in Australia... Twice as much as the plane
Yes.

Target Hobbies AR6400 Clone. $20 USD.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Aug 2012
318 Posts
That's great, thanks!
Do you know if there are cheaper options for the servos (AS2000, AS2000L, AS2030L)?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:18 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
That's great, thanks!
Do you know if there are cheaper options for the servos (AS2000, AS2000L, AS2030L)?
HK rotary's are great, but the plugs won't plug into the RX.

HK Linears that Will plug in are iffy and 2X the price of the superior rotaries.

An AS2030L servo for $13 (Retail price) is a great deal. It is a great servo that has a long throw and super strong motor and it plugs right in.

The Plug and Play servo @ HK is $6.50, is short throw and will likely burn up in use based on people's experience with them at which point you can cut off the plug and solder it on a $4 HK rotary servo.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
318 Posts
Understood. $20 for the brick and $13 for the original servo sounds like a great deal.
Thanks again, mate.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Aug 2012
318 Posts
This made me think of buying the parts for the other planes (e.g. circa $25 for the Mustang) and adding the electronics as per details above.
The only missing bit is the motor. They do have it at HK but it is not in stock at the moment.
Do you know what kind of motor do these planes use? I saw a couple of brushed micro motors in HK but not sure which one would be...
Also, do you know if the electronics and motor are the same for all the Nine Eagles ultra micros (P-47, P-51, YAK54, Spitfire)?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:56 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
This made me think of buying the parts for the other planes (e.g. circa $25 for the Mustang) and adding the electronics as per details above.
The only missing bit is the motor. They do have it at HK but it is not in stock at the moment.
Do you know what kind of motor do these planes use? I saw a couple of brushed micro motors in HK but not sure which one would be...
Also, do you know if the electronics and motor are the same for all the Nine Eagles ultra micros (P-47, P-51, YAK54, Spitfire)?
The motors are all the same:

But the Propshaft only takes the NE adapter/prop, but you might be able to put a brushless prop adapter for a 1.5mm shaft on there and adapt a nose cone. The Bushing size in the NE gearbox is off just enough the the PKZ shaft is too loose to work..

The NE motor fits great into a pkz gearbox, if you need a threaded prop shaft.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
I bought some of the linear servos like the ones @ HK...They were VERY slow compared to the stock HH servos...I modified my V1 Sbach to AS3X and have tried a few rotary and linear servos...None that I tested were even nearly as fast as the HH linear servos...So, I put my Sbach project up on the shelf until my HH linear servos arrive...Yes, they are more costly but this is one of the times you get what you pay for...And I'm pretty much one of the best at trying to find the least expensive route but performs well and lasts...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:28 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The motors are all the same:

But the Propshaft only takes the NE adapter/prop, but you might be able to put a brushless prop adapter for a 1.5mm shaft on there and adapt a nose cone. The Bushing size in the NE gearbox is off just enough the the PKZ shaft is too loose to work..

The NE motor fits great into a pkz gearbox, if you need a threaded prop shaft.
Another option with the NE gear box is to install a GWJ Universal 1.5mm prop saver onto the stock shaft, like I have in this P-51. Simply pressed onto the shaft.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5