HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:31 AM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
852 Posts
it looks like my Renny
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Last edited by xrx1113; Jan 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:00 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash View Post
You're right about the wing being undercambered - it definitely was the 1st thing I noticed looking at the wing (well, the 2nd thing - just admiring the awesome job they did covering the wing was the 1st thing I noticed. There were no wrinkles, no heat gun required. I'm not sure I like the way the servos are held in the wing - glued to the bottom side of the servo cover, w/ the cover then screwed in; but after a little thought, I believe it will make it easier to swap out a servo if I need to. I'll check out your blog Demon 6; I have some questions about how the V tail is assembled.
Please do! I'm making some good progress... May fly this weekend? I'm using an Ammo 24-45 3900kV inrunner with a decent prop (waiting on the Spinner from Esprit) with either a 3S 1800 or a 4S 1300.... I know the wings are light, so I'm not going to try to Hotline with it I will use the throttle "sparingly"
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:05 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,256 Posts
3900kv ! You have a gear box on that thing? Most of us are around 900-1100 Kv...
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:33 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,896 Posts
That's a really good idea for a control horns! I also use ball joints and love the no-slop.

For my v-tail control rods, I figured it would be best to slot out the fuselage where the tail itself provides reinforcement, rather than at the stress point just forward of the tail. Additionally, chopped fiberglass/epoxy splooge (approximate size of a marble was the goal) was used to fuse together the fuse's sides right where the rod slots are (the tubes were left long of course, then after the splooge cures, the plastic tube gets sliced flush).
Plus, there's a wee bit less drag this way too.

oh...the third tube straight out the back is for FM antenna.
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:43 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon 6 View Post
No lol.... I'm just trying to clear out my drawer... I promise to fly conservatively !
3900 kV - Are you flying on a 1s lipo? Direct drive you will have trouble turning a 5" prop on 3s without having a serious meltdown.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,896 Posts
Such a high kv will spin a small prop fast...which is good for a smaller faster plane. A tiny screaming prop on a slow glider will be really inefficient for sure.

BUT, if the goal was to clear out some extra gear, it may well be enough to get 'er airborne and by golly, that may be just dandy.

Others go way extreme opposite and there is no such thing as just dandy, if not getting max performance and efficiency.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:51 AM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
I contemplated the pushrods way aft, but I didn't think I had enough clearance due to the fuse being pinched down so much to accommodate the V mount... Guess I was around, looks good and clean! I definitely will be wanting more of these sailplanes. The price and build quality have me hooked for sure.
As far as the high KV motor app... I want to run a 24mm inrunner... Any thoughts or links?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:14 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon 6 View Post
I contemplated the pushrods way aft, but I didn't think I had enough clearance due to the fuse being pinched down so much to accommodate the V mount... Guess I was around, looks good and clean! I definitely will be wanting more of these sailplanes. The price and build quality have me hooked for sure.
As far as the high KV motor app... I want to run a 24mm inrunner... Any thoughts or links?
24mm? Not sure about that but there are 22mm ( too small for this ) and 28mm.

Look at this link for ideas ..

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-262.html

Look at the Himax HB2815 inrunner in either 1400 or 2000 kv. The 1400 will do quite nice with the 8x folding prop. Or any 1400 for that fact.

If you are going for low price then find the same kv motor from Hobby King or where ever. The HB2815 on 3s was the motor used in the Multiplex Minimag and it made the plane fly quite well.

I would go with a 1400 and 8x folding prop. With this slick airframe it should do just fine.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,896 Posts
Any updates?
Is your bird soaring yet?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:54 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
Any updates?
Is your bird soaring yet?
I contemplated the big "No No" in the making with the too high Kv motor...
So I was patiently awaiting my 28/30 750Kv NTM Prop Drive from HK...
With a 4S 1300 and a 10 x 6 prop I was pulling 20A (250 W) static with plenty of thrust...
She is super light (in my opinion) at 660 gr. AUW....

I could maiden her this weekend?

I went with the 4S route due to a few factors, primarily because I have all these small 4S packs lying around from my Ducted fan days...
A Hotliner she is not, but the climbouts should be fine and once I'm up, I plan on staying up for a bit... I have a few hotliners for the bank and yank urges...

I still cant get over how nice this plane was for the paltry $100 delivered...
Last edited by Demon 6; Feb 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361597364.941514.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 108.5 KB
Description:
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
My maiden went off without a hitch... She is a very well made plane no doubt.
I went with the following setup...

AR6000 RX
(4) HS65 SX
Nanotech 4S 1300mAh 90C
NTM 2830 750kV
Aeronaut Spinner (8mm Shoulder)
13x6 Carbon-fiber blades
CG @ 68mm
AUW 20oz

I would definitely recommend this bird to any modeler who has successfully landed anything... Real easy to fly.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joe_Crash
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
441 Posts
Demon 6 - Very nice! Very nice indeed. I haven't had an opportunity to maiden mine because I'm still undecided (and don't have the funds right at the moment) as to what I'm going to put in it. Anyone want to trade a suitable motor for this plane for a Hacker 40?
I really like the Hyperion glider specific motors - I've only heard good things about them.
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joe_Crash
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
441 Posts
Oh yeah - I noticed Hobby King is selling this same plane with a different name and a higher price. I know they are selling Typhoons under a different name as well.
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member