HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:22 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,893 Posts
I decided to finally build my E-version (been thoroughly enjoying the glider version so far) since conditions have been poor for sloping, and all the local fields have been bisected by fencing for some reason, so hi starts are now out.

I ordered a hobbyking 2830-800kv motor and 11x6 folder...just saw the above posts and tore open the hardware bag and wouldn't you know...I already have a prop!
I sure wouldn't trust the way the blades mount with a screw. I'd much prefer thru-bolts-nuts for safety/security.
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:29 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon 6 View Post
Mine came with a spinner and prop.... Does anyone know what shaft size it may be?Attachment 5425978
My first rule of thumb on any of these Asian planes is to NOT use the prop/spinner combination. They have never seemed to be very sturdy or up to the task.

You can get a good replacement from Esprit ...

http://www.espritmodel.com/folding-propellers.aspx

http://www.espritmodel.com/folding-spinners.aspx
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:31 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,255 Posts
Edited above for spelling. Smart phone makes me look dumb

The spinner is a 32mm diameter. If you were to go with a 9" prop, the 6mm shoulders may do the job for you. I need to update to a 8mm shoulder before I am really happy with the prop. I ordered an Aeronaught 11x8 prop with 6m shoulders and found printed on the prop MAX RPM 7500. I don't want to push the max rating - so mine is grounded until I get a suitable spinner and prop.

www.alofthobbies.com has spinners the right size but with a 4mm collet included - I need to order one and the replacement 3mm collet. The plane flies supremely well. The wing is flat (!) and the whole thing is very narrow - which means that is can go stealth and disappear on you in a hurry in the right angles. I added some flash tape to the wing to help with that issue.

Be well
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:01 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Any CG recommendations?
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:19 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,255 Posts
Umm, how does back side of spar sound to you? Works for me in nearly Every instance.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:50 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,558 Posts
Quote:
Any CG recommendations?
66mm behind leading edge

http://www.r2hobbies.com/manuals/rcpl71015.pdf
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Thanks Gents!

I'm stoked!, I just got back from the LHS with a fat sack of goodies for my Passer X...
I'll do a build thread on my Blog... don't want to bore anyone here lol.
I'm going to go for a lightweight, durable, 4S setup... Nothing crazy, just a good clean build with a few minor enhancements...
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:15 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,255 Posts
4s? Wow, that is gonna be a hot one. 200 Watts into a 9 or 10 inch prop gives nearly ballistic performance.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
4s? Wow, that is gonna be a hot one. 200 Watts into a 9 or 10 inch prop gives nearly ballistic performance.
Yeah, your right... I may just go the 3s route after checking things out... But a a 4S 1300 could be Fun!
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:42 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,255 Posts
It is fun to dream
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:14 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,558 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, your right... I may just go the 3s route after checking things out... But a a 4S 1300 could be Fun!
4S and aggressive flying would probably fold the wings. Not that I have done anything silly like that before.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,893 Posts
While it certainly has great penetration and flies a bit faster than lots of others, it's still no hotliner. The airfoil is quite UNDERCAMBERED. The overall top speed wouldn't support a 4s setup. A slower and larger prop on 3s is the way to go.

That said, I winched it a couple times once (only time ever winching...I kinda crashed a local club's flying session and accepted their winch offer...and they were rather shocked how it went up at full pedal).
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
I'm building this one on my blog... This plane is a class act....
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,893 Posts
I agree that 66mm (as stated in manual) will give a great starting point.

You know it's good when you slowly add up elevator to slow it down to induce a gentle stall. If it suddenly drops the nose and then needs a bit of time to regain flying speed, then it's nose heavy. Keep moving the CG further back in 1mm increments until it no longer drops its nose in a stall, but rather just descends while staying somewhat level in pitch.
Lead shot in a teeny ziploc baggy will allow removal/addition easily.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:11 AM
Joe_Crash
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
441 Posts
You're right about the wing being undercambered - it definitely was the 1st thing I noticed looking at the wing (well, the 2nd thing - just admiring the awesome job they did covering the wing was the 1st thing I noticed. There were no wrinkles, no heat gun required. I'm not sure I like the way the servos are held in the wing - glued to the bottom side of the servo cover, w/ the cover then screwed in; but after a little thought, I believe it will make it easier to swap out a servo if I need to. I'll check out your blog Demon 6; I have some questions about how the V tail is assembled.
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member