HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:52 AM
Pelagicide
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
467 Posts
New one from Skip Miller

And, one more to consider! (I'm going to have to buy something soon or all I'll be doing is web page surfing, not flying!) I got an email from Ski Miller Models that is my 1st choice unless someone knows something I don't - ie; how it flys, that sort of thing. I'm used to rudder and elevator birds and will take more sim time and buddy boxing to claim proficiency of aerolons. It sounds like an awesome deal though, doesn't it? ESC, motor, servos; and under $200. If anyone has any info pass it along please!
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by joe_crash; Nov 05, 2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: add pic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
865 Posts
looks like my Renny. (a great flyer super light)
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:15 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,363 Posts
The PasserX is a heck of a lot of plane for the money. Hobby King sells a knock off that is heavier and has a different servo tray. Both versions fly well. I lost a prop blade on my second flight and the firewall and motor were dangling by 2 the motor leads. After a moment of panic, I found that all was under control. Coming back to the LZ, I hit a thermal and took a ride up. If it thermals with the nose blown to bits and the motor haning out - it will thermal

The wing is a flat as Kansas - differential alierons is highly reccomended. It flies well - but it is NOT a 3d ship. Aileron rolls are sloppy and slow - but who needs that for thermal chasing? It is very tolerant of C/G and it takes 125 watts to fly well. 200 watts flies it very well. 3s 1300 is easy to fit, some guys cram a 2200 in it.

The links above will tell you all about it. I have 2 gliders from R2 - both are still on the flight line after several years.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:12 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
3,007 Posts
Agree on the slow roll rate...however, it does turn on a dime, especially on the slopes. Even in light wind it'll to a turn-about amazingly tight. Plus the ability to penetrate and float...SO nice! And even though the wing is flat, it's very stable and smooth and nearly hands-off stable.
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:22 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,096 Posts
Why don't order directly from R2 Hobbies? They have well build gliders for a good price. And the customer service is good , and quick. http://www.r2hobbies.com/. I have ordered from them many times.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
Pelagicide
Joined Oct 2010
467 Posts
I'm going to go with the Raptor 2M, after looking at all the alternatives. There is only one plane that after all I've read and heard from you guys (very helpful, thanks!) and that's the X-ray Micro Electro - a bit smaller wingspan, but lots more CF through out (and that raises another issue - 2.4Ghz through CF don't play well together) and twice the price.
I'm going to get one from the US distributor of R2 to avoid paying as much in shipping as I do for the plane, and I figure that if I need support it will easier to reach someone in the US than in HK.
The only think that makes me pause on the Raptor is that flat wing - I've had planes in the past w/ wings like that and boy did they like to tip stall. (of course, it could have also been my less than stellar piloting skills too) but from what I've read here it doesn't seem all that much of a problem.
Going to order in the next few days so I'll let you all know what I think of it when it arrives.
Thanks everyone!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
3,007 Posts
I don't claim to know all factors affecting tip stalls, but can't imagine how a flat wing would be one of them. The Passer doesn't tip stall at all and it's quite flat.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:24 AM
Pelagicide
Joined Oct 2010
467 Posts
That's good to hear 'cause I finally placed my order for one, can't wait till it gets here. Still have to scrape up the $$ for servos, etc ... I was going to go the cheap route - HXT 900's, but it seems like this might be better off with something w/ metal gears ... HS-65MG's? Don't know what motor I'll be using either. I love decisions like this!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:44 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
3,007 Posts
You can't go wrong with metal-geared servos, but are they needed? Perhaps on the flaps for when they hit ground due to forgetting to pull them up at the last second. The hxt900's are cheaper, but if they're mounted to be easily removed, then it's easy to just swap it in the field if you break one dorking a landing.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Pelagicide
Joined Oct 2010
467 Posts
That's very true ... and going through some boxes in my "shop" (garage) I found some HXT 900's , so I'll probably use what I already have to get it up in the air. I like building, but prefer flying ;-)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:22 PM
Pelagicide
Joined Oct 2010
467 Posts
Was the shipping outrageously expensive? I just ordered something from HK global store, and the shipping was nearly the same as the price of what I bought in the 1st place. I'm glad they finally opened a US Warehouse, but honestly, it seems to take almost as long as getting it from China. I ordered something from a US vendor; Frankenquads, and had it in hand Tuesday.

There are some decent looking e saileplanes on the the HK site, (actually more like hotliners) that are nice looking but I shied away b/c of shipping costs and problems with quality I've had in the past with them. (though it seems to be getting better)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:29 PM
Pelagicide
Joined Oct 2010
467 Posts
Wow Aeajr;
Your videos amaze me every time I play it. That's a lot of line going out! I decided that for my first one I'd get an electric motor. It's the Passer 1.8 2 meter 4 ch bird. I saw it in R2's ebay site.
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/4Ch-RC-R-c-E...item23235442d4)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:04 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
3,007 Posts
Ummm...Direct from R2hobbies.com is $84 (vs. $125), and if you're a new customer you get 10% off. Would certainly offset the very reasonable shipping R2 has.
The ebay site sounds like it comes direct from overseas (long shipping possible?) I've done a couple buys direct from R2 and got them in about 5 days.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
Pelagicide
Joined Oct 2010
467 Posts
Mine just got here yesterday. I was surprised it was so fast - but I also got a package from HK, and that's a record for them.
Actually, I was mistaken. I did not get the Passer - I got the TX 2000 2 meter, with ailerons and flaps.
I was really impressed and only have one issue with it. The plane came double boxed, everything wrapped in bubble wrap, and carefully taped to avoid being moved around.
This one has a fiberglass fuse, and built up wings and tail feathers (it's a V tail also). The covering looks like Oracover, but I'm not sure what it is. It is put on perfectly. It has NO wrinkles I'd need to use my heat gun on. Seriously, this one's covering is better than the last built up plane I bought which was from Horizon. The hardware package is complete, including servo covers, and the servo tray and the firewall are glued nicely with a decent bead of glue all around. The wing is attached with nylon bolts, and the threaded holes are already there. The only issue I have is that it has NO build manual! Not a slip of paper in the entire box. Given it's state of completion its more an assembly than a build, but I didn't see how I was going to attach the V tail; if it's removable or not. The wings are 2 piece, and I did notice (I looked at it late) a wing joiner tube in the hardware bag.
So all in all, a pretty decent buy at that price, which was about $100. Can't complain about that!

Now my only problem is deciding what power system to put in it. I have a Scorpion 2226-1350, and a 30 amp esc. Oh, and I need to buy a spinner, it didn't come with one. Looks like about 30mm or so. The scorpion was in a heli before. I've not a clue at what size power system to put in. Do I go as big as the scorpion or more along the lines of a 380 sized mortor, 20 amp esc and 3s 1300 lipo? (Just to check, a 4s lipo will just squeeze into the battery bay.
And then there is the whole issue of what the proper C of G is. I have no idea, I didn't measure the wing chord. I assume I'll start at 25% and go from there. Or even 20%. We'll see when I finish I guess (which might be a while, can't buy many supplies right now. ) I have 2 JR micro servos to use in the tail and plan on HXT 900's in the wing.

Any thoughts about the power system, or C of G?

Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:50 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
3,007 Posts
Whew!
Two months of web-surfing and you end up with a different plane altogether, and now asking about components for it?
Sounds like another two months of web-surfing are in order!

Scotty out.