SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:00 AM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
Rant
lost my zephyr 8km away in mountain Saturday

I was okay at first, but now it's kind of sinking in.... I'm going on a hiking adventure to look for it on Saturday, maybe you guys can help motivate me, or keep an eye out.. i once saw a quad up to find the owner.

Zephyr II with red elevons.
-gopro hd hero 1
-tbs69 camera
-tbs ezosd (bigger gps)
-1.3 fox 800 with lawmate whipe
-ezuhf diversity with white and yellow antenna

My DV camcorder is kind of a pain in the ass, and the mountain looked much smaller so I didn't care to record because my spotter would be looking at it.

It ended up being 8km out to reach the peak, but i didn't care, hung a right and went to the next two peaks, turned right again and i skimmed the trees then wasn't paying attention to the lake and ended up going down into a gully and losing radio then video all within a split second...

yes yes please spare me the advice, I know everything i did wrong in the flight..

-need to be higher up / better vantage point
-pay attention to los when buzzing trees
-RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD

I will post some maps, I think I've narrowed down the crash site quite a bit with google earth and maps, seeing 3 possibly gullies I could have went down in.

I don't remember seeing any lakes while buzzing trees.. although i was pretty focused on the trees.. but those are the gullies below the next two peaks.. My plan is to climb up the peak just sww from skein lake (where you see the first turn of 3 turn offs on the flight path) and see if one of those peaks refreshed my memory on where I turned.. I was only heading down from the peaks for gosh..... 10 seconds or so before we lost signal.. My buddy remembers home being to the right.

I'm pretty sure I went passed 2 of the peaks.. then immediatley started heading down the mountain because i remember not being to happy with how close i got to the first one.... maybe i was just passed that second lake and that's why i didn't see a lake??
dr_patso is offline Find More Posts by dr_patso
Last edited by dr_patso; Oct 04, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:09 AM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
2,026 Posts
Man that sucks! I hate to hear someone lose that kind of investment of money and time. I know if I lost my setup it would be a long time before I could get the wife to let me reinvest. I hope you find it! I just got a lost model buzzer for my setup. Maybe you should get one for when you find it!
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:17 AM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
ya something like that would be good too, incase you need to wait a week to search for it... because man we were so unprepared for that... we didn't have a clue how to get up there.. now that ive spent days analyzing the area on google earth and maps i feel like i can finally get to where it is... definitely bringing a friend and a gun up there... if i had just recorded.. id have almost the exact spot it crashed i saw it heading for a tree....

it basically went like this, within maybe a full second... some slight static (nothing id ever worry about) failsafe and dip toward trees then video cut out as it was pointed towards a little break in the trees, but probably hit a tree....
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:26 AM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
2,026 Posts
Ahhhh... I can only imagine how deep your stomach sank when you had nothing but static to look at. Hopefully it hasn't been found yet. I had wondered what happens to a lipo when a model gets lost. Is there a chance of fire if the Lipo drains down passed safe levels or is it just the end for the Lipo? I want to fly in some areas that would be dangerous to have a lipo fire.... It could lead to a wildfire.....
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:58 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,645 Posts
If you've got them bring some binoculars with you. You just might catch a glint of sunlight off of something shiny on your plane or catch a piece of an elevon sticking up, etc.

That sucks but from your picture it looks as though there are a couple of trails that lead up into where you want to go.

Good luck!

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Last edited by Stone1295; Oct 04, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Sep 2010
327 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss - I hope you find it! You may have mentioned, but how recently did you lose it? If it is still transmitting, you might be able to use a receiver and RSSI to narrow down the search area.
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:31 AM
Canada, AB, Mundare
Joined Mar 2011
632 Posts
Get one of these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GPS-GSM-GPRS-...#ht_8037wt_932

A buddy has one and its great, mine is in the mail- hopefully never need it. Definitely take the binoculars as I have been in your spot before and it sucks. Good luck.
Beerwiser is online now Find More Posts by Beerwiser
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:37 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,852 Posts
yeah the gprs beacon might become std equipment in fpv soon enough. trouble is, there is good chance it wont work if I go down - cell shadows are big here.

I had my first FPV disaster in a year on sunday. accidentally unplugged my AIO goggles -> nose dive and a destroyed glider. Luckily only 270m away and easily recovered the pieces.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:19 AM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
ya, wrecking is bad enough... entirely losing the plane and not being able to salvage any parts is sad... I've already sold my radio, ezuhf tx and fatsharks should be sold soon.. I'm getting out of this hobby until I pay off my truck.

I was nervous about fire, rcgroups paranoia was setting in...but it's close to a lake and pretty green there.. lipos gotta be completely dead by now no fires yet, and it's pretty cold already up there... people leave worse stuff lying around in the forest in my mind... I'd fess up to something that bad though honestly, im sure it's worse if they find out on their own....
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:44 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
143 Posts
Tip

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744350
Deltadeville is offline Find More Posts by Deltadeville
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:19 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,034 Posts
Always put your phone number on the plane. My Bigass 3.2m flying wing went down a few months ago, about 5km away. Just went off the air. Recording wasnt much help as the plane went dead and video dropped out at about 1200ft. I had a GPS tracker device ($60 off ebay) on board and within minutes had the crash location pinpointed. However the low tech solution worked. I hadnt even packed up the GS when the phone rang!! A family bush walking along a fire trail saw it go down in a gully. The phone number did the trick. I met with them and the father led me to crash site. Was about half a mile from LOS point, so went down in an angled dive.
Good luck!
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:42 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
That sucks bro .
A Ruby would have had it climb out to a high altitude and bring itself home as soon as you lost signal.
We prety much have them in all builds now, the price and efforts are well worth it.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:08 AM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,066 Posts
Aha! FINALLY a user with experience with the Ruby! Tell us more, please. I'm interested in it, but I just haven't seen too much info/reviews/experiences with it.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:48 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
We have been working on the Ruby to config it for the ZII, and we now have it working very well, it will do assited takeoffs , auto landings , return to home , cruise on locked headings.
It will bring it home if you loose signal or just plain turn off the radio in a panic say if you loose vid.
If you never regain signal It will return to home and loiter and land when battery gets low. Its a nice feeling that if somthing goes wrong she will come back and land with no issues.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:17 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Please post launch GPS coordinates.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62