HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
If I chose to ran this motor, would I need a diode or external ESC??:confused
If you are talking about the brushless conversion kit that Dan Scharlach offers, then it has everything you need.

Motor, prop and prop adapter.
2s battery and a charging adapter.
Brushless ESC with diode already in place
Pins soldered on motor leads
Plug soldered on ESC
Servo lead from ESC already prepared to plug in to the AR6400 plug

It comes with a laser cut motor mount

I am sure that at $48 it is more expensive than buying the parts yourself, but for me, a guy who has tried a few different brushless setups with minimal success, getting something that was a known good solution was worth it.

And a good solution it is.

p.s. if you go with this, $8 gets you a spare battery and a spare prop. I got a few of these so I would not have to charge at the gym.
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:50 AM
United States, GA, Centerville
Joined Mar 2012
170 Posts
Ah, I see that I missed Jim's allusion to an external ESC in the answer to the OP. When he was talking about the ESC he wasn't talking about the onboard ESC.

I know that an AR6400 can drive an external ESC.

What is the voltage supplied to the rxr by the ESC? I would expect that external ESCs would supply a nominal 5vdc but I don't know. They could simply pass through the battery voltage (lots of rxrs have a broad operating range).
RayRangel is offline Find More Posts by RayRangel
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:07 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
863 Posts
Sorry Vince,

I forgot the hyperlink, here it is: http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-gps001-c03-gearbox.html

Thanks,

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,954 Posts
Sorry Free but that's not going to cut it either. Low thrust and a very weak prop-shaft. Sooner or later someones going to design those in Shapeways for the AP motors 02 ,03 and 05, then they'll be perfect for all our 1-cell brushless needs.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:44 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRangel View Post
Ah, I see that I missed Jim's allusion to an external ESC in the answer to the OP. When he was talking about the ESC he wasn't talking about the onboard ESC.

I know that an AR6400 can drive an external ESC.

What is the voltage supplied to the rxr by the ESC? I would expect that external ESCs would supply a nominal 5vdc but I don't know. They could simply pass through the battery voltage (lots of rxrs have a broad operating range).
Most ESC pass 5V which is too much for the 6400, hence the diode in the + line to the receiver from the ESC.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:55 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
Sorry Free but that's not going to cut it either. Low thrust and a very weak prop-shaft. Sooner or later someones going to design those in Shapeways for the AP motors 02 ,03 and 05, then they'll be perfect for all our 1-cell brushless needs.
TODD
I hope it's sooner, not later. You could make a geared AP-03 to run a 5-6" prop!

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:39 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
I hope it's sooner, not later. You could make a geared AP-03 to run a 5-6" prop!

Free
We are all waiting for someone to produce Vlad88's geared outrunner designs... he is getting 60g of thrust from 3 gram motors on 1S(with a REAL prop shaft, not one made from "bendalloy").

Here is another way to wire it that doesn't need a special 3 pronged plug for the motor block (NEVER EVER EVER use 3 individual wires here, or your plane will eventually catch fire)

1S:

2S:
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:39 PM
Jyester
Massachusettes
Joined May 2010
132 Posts
Trying this out for a BL set up, techone C05 micro motor, 6a esc w/ 5v bec, AR6400 board and aileron servo on a Sbach epp 19". Hoping to get auw of 40gr. With 2 1s 250 in series. Rite now citing the weight of the motor/ esc by tossing out any extra wires. Soldering motor wire directly to esc. And ligther gauge batt wire. Motor/ esc weighted in at 12.6 gr shooting for 8gr. I see that a lot of pilots are using the aux channel on the board as a linear throttle why? Is the throttle range different on the regular channel can it be adjusted via the esc? I'm using a dx5i for all my bnf. Thanks for and feed back
Jyester is offline Find More Posts by Jyester
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Mar 2010
63 Posts
Throttle

Jyester: In my limited experience, the throttle action (with Dx8 radio) will be the same from the Brushless mode on the motor socket, or the Aux channel or Flaps channel. I tried all 3, no difference, I even connected a servo to verify. Watch out your prop may spin about 1/4 power after you attach the 2S battery, is so, disconnect battery and start again. I'm going to try another ESC, model XP7A and hope for a different result.
jdre is online now Find More Posts by jdre