bylouddesign is offline Find More Posts by bylouddesign
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:13 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Kev,
Give me a couple weeks to get back home from my summer travels and I still have a NATOPS manual for the P3B. I can take some cocpit detail pics and post them. Let me know if there are any other areas you need details on.

Visibility in the air is not to bad as long a the sky isn't to gray

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
451 Posts
Wow! Great looking kit! Great progress so far. Subscribed!
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:08 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
125 Posts
Hey Guys, Havent been in the garage building as much as i would like. been in only a couple of hours lately. Time has really disappeared this couple of weeks. I have been thinking about the full cockpit and realised that for all the work that will go into it you actually wont see a lot of it so think ill just go for the pilots and some chairs and some control columns. That should have it looking ok.

So been working on the front of the plane to make it start looking like a plane. As you can see in the photos have completed the cockpit roof and also the nose of the aircraft. Have also completed the nose wheel landing gear mount. Now all i need is retracts that might have to wait a while so i can save a little coin for them.

Anyway hope you like the photos and look forward to hearing some peoples thoughts

Happy flying
Kev
Kevc is offline Find More Posts by Kevc
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:14 PM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
451 Posts
My thoughts? Looks great!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
125 Posts
Thanks Ska2000 been a fun build so far. hope to get into the garage this weekend and start the stringer process and also start making the working doors for the bottom (like the bomb bay but with out bombs cant think what it would be called.) Ill have to get a picture of it all together to see what it looks like now with the nose on it.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:58 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,696 Posts
Would the bay be used for torpedoes or sono bouys? Just wondering. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,254 Posts
Subscribed
BlazerB52 is offline Find More Posts by BlazerB52
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:28 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
125 Posts
Hi Doug,

The bay will be made operational as i would like to drop something from it. I am trying to figure out the best way of making it work at the moment.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:33 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
125 Posts
Unfortunately no building this weekend which is a massive bummer. Had a great day flying on Saturday until my electric motor decided that it was stronger than my firewall and decided to pull it out of the outstand Have to love the lack of glue some of these arf's have. Now i need to fix that in order to go flying next weekend. So thats less P-3 time which is a massive bummer. Maybe ill just put it aside so i can get some more P-3 done.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:45 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,696 Posts
Just be happy you have weather to fly! Its been raining here in Ontario, Canada almost daily for 4 weeks, and temps at 7-12degreesC.
Our building season got an early start this yr.
Please show your progress as you go, its a neat plane, worthy of being built. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:37 PM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
2,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
Would the bay be used for torpedoes or sono bouys? Just wondering. Doug B
The bay is used for topedos or bombs. There's also hard points on the wings for bombs, torpedos, and anti-shipping missles.

Sonobouys go in a launcher just aft of the wing on the bottom.
Here's one of the ones I spent a few hours (+- 1000K ) on.

I always thought about building one of these!.

Edit: On the third picture you can see the sonobouy launcher right behind the trailing edge outlined in red. They are explosively ejected so you dont want to walk under a live one
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
Mesa, AZ USA
Joined Jan 2008
35 Posts
I have a large collection of photos, some from my Aussie P-3 pilot and everywhere I could find on the internet!
bylouddesign is offline Find More Posts by bylouddesign
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:12 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
125 Posts
Cool photos thanks guys. Havent been able to spend a lot of time out in the shed building but have done a couple of hours here and there. Am working on the bay area. The kit design is for the bay doors to be held in place by magnets and them not operate. However saying that the doors have been designed so that the builder can make them operational, which is what im planning on doing. I have now built the bay doors and started the mods in order to get the doors to be functional.

Im hoping to have the doors operational from air cylinders however this is proving to be more difficult than i suspected i have been trying to sketch up the design but am not having a lot of luck as yet.

Hopefully ill post some photos of the bay doors in the next couple of days. Would be interested to see any photos of people that have made bay doors open with air cylinders

Happy flying

Kev
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:01 PM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
451 Posts
Man... dont worry hwo long it takes. Do it all at your own pace. I'm in for the long haul.