HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:11 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
Build Log
ByLoudDesign P-3 Orion

I have never done a build thread on here before so its a first for me

For a long time i have wanted to build a P-3 Orion but have never found a good kit or plan for it. I bought the ByLoudDesign plans and laser short kit from SC Models earlier this month and have decided to start building it and thought some of you might be interested in following my build. Im sure ill also need some help along the way also. Im hoping it will take about a year to build as i want to take it to a mammoth flyin here in Australia next year in September. So for me thats a pretty quick build .

Specs on the plane are:
Length: 152 inches
Wingspan: 120 inches
Scale: 1:10th
Im hoping to get the weight in at or under about 18kgs.

Obviously ill be using 4 electrics. Not sure what size as yet, would really like to run 4 blade props just for that scale touch.

If you guys are interested ill start posting some photos of the build.

Your comments and suggestrions are most welcome.
Kevc is online now Find More Posts by Kevc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:43 AM
RDV
BRISTOL UK
Joined Apr 2003
436 Posts
Subscribed. Let the build begin.
Rich Vale
RDV is offline Find More Posts by RDV
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:34 AM
73 de 2E0IUI
UK, Newton-le-Willows
Joined May 2010
100 Posts
I'll be following ..Nice one.

Dave.
Superconductor is online now Find More Posts by Superconductor
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:16 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
5,977 Posts
Orion interesting. Subscribed

Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:14 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,014 Posts
I'm in! Where's the pics?
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:54 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
Been in the shed last night for a number of hours and have completed this so far. The fuz will be in two halves and will be joined by 4 carbon tubes (design as part of plans) The front section here is glued and the back is just dry fitted. Just wanted to see how big this thing will end up being.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:51 PM
Balsa and Foam can Coexist
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,768 Posts
Subscribed! I have been waiting to see a proper P-3 for awhile Looking good!

Ethan
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:47 AM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,761 Posts
Subscribed
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:36 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,845 Posts
╔═╦╗╔╦╗╔═╦═╦╦╦╦╗╔═╗!!!!!!!!!!
║╚╣║║║╚╣╚╣╔╣╔╣║╚╣═╣!!!!!!!!!!
╠╗║╚╝║║╠╗║╚╣║║║║║═╣!!!!!!!!!!
╚═╩══╩═╩═╩═╩╝╚╩═╩═╝!!!!!!!!!!
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:32 AM
bylouddesign
Mesa, AZ USA
Joined Jan 2008
31 Posts
Looking good!!!!
bylouddesign is offline Find More Posts by bylouddesign
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:47 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,130 Posts
I have always been interested in a P-3. I went to their web site and no price or short kit info (unless I am just missing it). So, can you say how much the short kit is priced at?

Thanks,

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:23 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
Hey sorry for the slow amount of pictures ive been posting. Been smashed at work, but getting in a couple of hours here and there. Hopefully this week will slow down and can get some quality shed time

Have been glueing the back half of the plane together as well as starting to build the vertical stab, as you can see in the pictures. Its going together really well and easily. The click together design thats used makes it really easy and quite quick to put together. If you look at one of the pictures i have installed 6mm steel rods to keep the fuz perfectly straight whilst im building it. These will be removed obviously later on but wanted to make sure that its perfectly straight during the build. Has worked really well so far. The reason i did this was i found the back end was really flimsy until you put vertical stab bits in then it really locks up and is strong. But whilst i was glueing the front formers this kept it all straight. The more vertical stab bits you put in the stronger it becomes. Just the way its designed i guess. So far its a very easy kit to build. I have noticed also that all of the servo connections are all inside the fuz so you wont see any connections from the outside. Nice scale touch. Never done this before in a plane so hopefully it all works perfectly. I think this is a great idea but i just need to remember to do all the connections before i fully sheet the fuz.

Oh and yes my shed needs to be cleaned hahaha but having to much fun building

Kev
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:30 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
I have always been interested in a P-3. I went to their web site and no price or short kit info (unless I am just missing it). So, can you say how much the short kit is priced at?

Thanks,

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Yes you are right its not on there website yet. They have only just gotten it apparently. I saw them at a show out here I went to and they had the plans. Fell in love with it as soon as i saw it. Bought the plans then and there and bright them home and had a good look at them and said im never going to cut this by hand and bought the short kit. Was about $1200 AUD delivered to my door. The box was massive full of wood. Still need to get the hardware and the cowls. There is about 450 pieces of wood of something in it. Lost count after a while The way that the plane is designed with all of the joints and click together sections it would have taken me 10 years to cut it out and wouldnt have gone together half as well as this. If you have a lot of patience and can cut really well and cut super straight lines you should be able to do it yourself. I felt it was just much easier and quicker to get the laser cut kit.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:25 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Here are a few pics`of the Orion that Eddie P built a few years ago. Less than 1/2 the size of what you are working on. I have 1500 hours air crew time as an AW with VP-19.
Very interesting project. Keep us posted.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:17 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
Hey John,
Cool looking plane. Colour scheme looks good in the air. very visable. How was it to look at when flying do you know?

Have a question for you guys. Im looking at starting to get some of the cockpit ready as once i start covering it i will never be able to get it in the space so need to start looking at some stuff. Does anyone know where you can get any good pilots from at 1:10 scale? I figure that i will be able to design up the chairs myself and get them lasercut, but need some good pilots. Also does anyone have any photos if the cockpit of the P-3?

Thanks in advance

Kev