HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:49 AM
Fly it, edit it, post it.
Joined Dec 2011
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
Are you using a miniMOSD to output the sensor numbers or using the telemetry? As far as the airspeed sensor. That goes into port A0 on the APM 2.x board...

http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/Airspeed
Just turned the sucker over, and pulled out my magnifying glass... found the A0 port.....

Also, I am using the latest firmware, 2.66.
tregtronics is offline Find More Posts by tregtronics
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tregtronics View Post
Just turned the sucker over, and pulled out my magnifying glass... found the A0 port.....
Yeah the wiki is a bit confusing. I read it like 5 times before figuring it out. I skipped over the part that said the following..
  • The APM 2.5 board, which was released in July 2012, is operationally identical to the APM 2.0 board

The only difference is the polarized ports they added to prevent accidental inverse connections. With that in mind I flipped back to the 2.0 wiki page and found this diagram..

I think the a0 port is the second from the bottom. As you mentioned you flipped it over and found the silk screen labeling. Sadly I already had mine mounted in the plane and pulling it out would have been a pain.

I did notice that RCTimer was selling a APM kit for half the price. If you're going to take your 3dr branded APM back to them to have it repaired, I'd just pick up a RCTimer one on the side. I ordered a RCTimer board and will be testing it out once it gets here.

http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...cat=206&gtype=

I mean for a $150 even if I get a decent AP to test with I'll be happy. It's not like I'm going 20 miles out.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:27 PM
Money Shot
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
when you guys need sma, get em from ebay. there like $1 a piece for the gold ones..... take about 10 days to deliver, there really fast for china

I've paid $5 at radio shack for a chrome one
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:34 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
Packed everything up. Walked outside.. Looked at the the palm trees blowing inside out in my area... Walked right back inside. I'll probably head up to Discount Hobby and pick up some new lugs for the speed controllers I just bought.
Got there...the wind was whipping. Will try again at sunset. Testing some landing lights.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Post this in another thread, but thought that I would share here as well:

After doing some comparison tests between the GP3 Black and my old GP2 this is what I have concluded:

(GP3 black was tested with AWB selected)

1) GP2 w/Protune on@ 1080P vs. GP3 Bl w/Protune on at 1080p is very similar. However, GP3 B wins due to 60fps "smoothness" and slightly higher detail due to higher bitrate (45kpbs vs 35 kpbs).
2) GP2 w/Protune offnormal vs. GP3 Bl normal - GP3 wins handily. Much crisper and more detail with way less noise. This is for any mode I tried to compare against. There was such a vast difference in quality between protune off and on modes with the GP2 that makes sense. I believe it when they say that the GP3's processor is twice as powerful
3) 2.7k on GP3 Bl is awesome. It's going to be gorgeous for some of the slower shots with the bigger aerial rig
4) I like GP3 Bl with Protune off. This is partially because I have played with color corrections and post processing much. I am sure that a more video editing savvy person could make more out of the pro-tune. Hopefully, I will get there.
5) Adjustments to changing lighting is much smoother on the GP3 Blk.

Just my 2 cents after playing with the camera a bit. Still waiting for the weather to die down to test the aerial side of things. I will mostly be flying in 1080 60fps with protune off with some 2.7k thrown in there.

Not going to bother with throwing clips up yet since they are just boring clips on my yard
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:07 PM
Money Shot
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
nice, can't wait to see how you fare with jello. rtryder posted some clips on a cinestar hard mounted to a av 130 and it was perfect.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Yeah i saw those. I may brave it later in this wind to try it out. Should be great for jello conditions
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,085 Posts
I guess if you can't fly outside then go inside? I finally have a full go around of matching speed controllers on my setup! Before I was running two different pairs of speed controllers on my quad. Here's a quick flight after calibrating the gyros.

More quad testing (1 min 47 sec)

Looks like I'm still dropping to one side of the quad. I'll have to go back and do a bit more calibration on it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tregtronics View Post
I like that cable store next to discount hobby in Clairmont.... they have it all, I will go pick up some SMA cables that we can hack apart. I need some SMA extensions for my ZXL build anyway.
That's where I got mine. The owner had a bunch of about 10" long cables with SMA on one end and reg coaxial connector on the other. They were too short for the original buyer so he sold me 4 for $20. He had the SMA ends in both straight and 90 degrees.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
That's where I got mine.
BTW looks like that shop is open during 'Bankers Hours'. I was just over at Discount and noticed the cable place is closed on the weekend.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Just got back from the field. Winds 20+ mph. Strapped the GP3 to the beater quad (lightly balanced props, unbalanced motors, not tuned for wind). I set the gp to 1080p 60f , medium FOV, protune off. Detail was great. Unfortunately, jello is still very present. Granted, it was the worst case scenario with the wind and frame combo. I would never actually fly to film in this type of wind, but I was hoping for a bit better results. Not going to bother posting any videos due to that fact.

I didn't want to risk my Y6 in this wind, but I will test her out tomorrow. It is much more balanced and has a pretty good, soft isolation scheme. Still waiting on the TBS frame to setup for FPV.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
Joined Apr 2011
3,294 Posts
So 2pm tomorrow at daves?
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:03 PM
Money Shot
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
I've bought alot of stuff from that electrical place next to DH... there really expensive. The rg 316 is only $.50 a foot down here at a wholesale elctrical supply place. I usually get 20 feet for $10....... that's alot of rg 316. the sma's are $1 and you can get straight or regular

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320847583841...84.m1439.l2649

that guys the best. I've had em here in 6 days once, but always within 10. He uses letter service so they come right in, not like air parcel stuff from HK

90's
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320847631864...84.m1439.l2649

I litterally get 20 of each and go through em like tic tacs. you just kill these antennas crashing.... like bearings in a motor. It still works broke, but they kill your gear and you get junk more and more till you switch it out. I kill most of em hitting trees

my hex is almost complete. needs a power distro
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:24 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,782 Posts
Hope the wind is not too crazy
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,677 Posts
CP Antennas

FYI: Kloner put me on to these threads for building CP antennas. It took me a while to find them. They are clear and guide you through the construction.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388264

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1352583
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member