Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
I hear ya... this hobby is a money pit!
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:31 AM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
The Fat Shark BASE SD VGA Video Glasses look like a pretty decent deal, seem to be well loaded in features. Those are retailing at $300 from what I can see. I just got into FPV and didn't have alot to invest, so I went with the Fatshark Predators (V1), which I'm happy with and work just fine for me. They were cheaper, and also had an integrated receiver, which was one less thing to buy, and let me travel light, without a ground station. I will probably upgrade to some better glasses at some point, but for the time being, I don't see a need to. I do see that there are now a version 2 available now, and based on the specs are better than the V1's, but no longer have integrated head tracking. Might try to trade up to the V2's next....
dartmouth01 is offline Find More Posts by dartmouth01
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:11 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
I hear ya... this hobby is a money pit!
shhh don't say that too loud I already have other expensive hobbies my wife will kill me
Jaynen is offline Find More Posts by Jaynen
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:20 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen View Post
shhh don't say that too loud I already have other expensive hobbies my wife will kill me
^ haha...yes...me and my wife pretty much have a don't ask don't tell policy...she doesn't care what i spend my money on as long as bills are paid and food is on the table...plus she knows this is something that will challenge me and keep me busy...

Plus she has her own arts and crafts addiction....she makes a door hanger for every month practically! Hey..at least i know there is ample hot glue around to use on my foamy planes if they need repair!
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,810 Posts
T-28 FPV Pylon Racer

I bought a new T-28 canopy for non FPV racing and took my old one and installed the 250mw airborne system that came with my Predator V2. I am impressed with its performance. No drop outs in normal aerobatic and pylon flying. I did buy the IBC CP antennas from ReadyMade, 5 leaf on the receiver. I like the power filter that plugs into the planes balance plug supplying power to the FPV stuff. Simple, lightweight and removeable and can be attached to any T-28. Bought a second system for my Ironman and Superman.

Still unhappy that the goggles came messed up.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:48 PM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
money pit? let her be glad that's the only problem......

otto, that's 5.8?
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:58 PM
Fly it, edit it, post it.
Joined Dec 2011
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloner View Post
HAHA! That's funny. Your wife has given up long ago on your obsessions. RC & Stuffed Geese in one room, let alone your front room, is a sure sign that the man is winning in the house. Otto's casa at least has some sort of facade of a living room before you enter the shop and hangar. I'm banished to my man-room, but my wife made it for me, kinda like, hint hint, stay out there...
tregtronics is offline Find More Posts by tregtronics
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
I get the dining room table...luckily i have not accumulated enough stuff to take over the entire condo and if need be....it can be hidden if we are going to have company over
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:10 PM
Aerial DP
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
It's about to get a whole lot worse baby sitting 2 heavy lifters....... I need to go up with the ceiling
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:28 PM
United States, CA, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton
Joined Jan 2013
531 Posts
Haha now I don't feel to bad for claiming both living rooms and a kitchen counter for a while I think I had a project going in each area but all finally came together and I can confine it to the workbench :-D
Disp0sablehero is offline Find More Posts by Disp0sablehero
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:34 PM
Aerial DP
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
this was before i got into fpv, about a year ago. Still got all that pluss 4 wings, 3 bigger multi rotors and a garage full of crashed crap i'm too pissed to throw away

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=...d-5fc0a7b16158
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloner View Post

otto, that's 5.8?
Yep. Bought the Pedator V2 FPV kit with camera and 250mw tx. Really like the balance plug filter to power the FPV stuff.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:52 PM
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
I still need to figure out my range issues on 5.8ghz. 1500-1600ft with the new V2 Uno, klonerized antennas, and 600mW Vtx is just too short. I am thinking of raising my antenna a bit per advice since it's most likely being blocked when I am forward flying.

You guys running 5.8ghz - particularly immersion stuff - what's your range you are seeing?
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:02 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
I still need to figure out my range issues on 5.8ghz. 1500-1600ft with the new V2 Uno, klonerized antennas, and 600mW Vtx is just too short. I am thinking of raising my antenna a bit per advice since it's most likely being blocked when I am forward flying.

You guys running 5.8ghz - particularly immersion stuff - what's your range you are seeing?
To be honest i dont have an osd on my stuff so i really dont know...but if i had to guess, ive gone abut 1/2 mile with no dropouts....i have noticed that if i raise my GS up high, i get better reception
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:04 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
3 miles plus
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi