912 Posts
That's what they say.....
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:53 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
So I tried googling it but did not find a real answer. Why are wings so popular for AP/FPV?
Jaynen is offline Find More Posts by Jaynen
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:21 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloner View Post
what the heck?

Looks like Air Force One in the Ronald Reagen Museum up in Simi Valley
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:25 PM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
speed, endurance, smoothness, ability to go really fast, easy to pack like if you hike to your spot, alot of reasons.

I build the zII's for $250 labor, if you want a really straight one, hit me up. it includes glue and i'll put in anything you buy for it. fpv, nav, long range radio gear, familliar with most brands of anything

That'd be the spot Andi
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:22 PM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Hey guys, this isn't necessarily on topic with SD business, but I wanted to bounce the idea of my next purchase off some more knowledgeable folks before I pull the trigger.... I'm looking to upgrade my simple OSD to something that has a current reading and point to home. I'm flying a witespy quad with 5.8 Fatshark Predator goggles and 100mW IRC VTX. I'm thinking of going with the IRC EZOSD (from readymaderc) because I like that its easy (as the name suggests) with minimal muss and fuss. Also would give me the option for antenna tracking later on. Just wondering, this sound like the best option for me or am I unaware of any better options?

Thanks in advance!
dartmouth01 is offline Find More Posts by dartmouth01
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:24 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,731 Posts
hey guys, got a couple of pics to share, and a question.

The plane is the Penguin, by Finwing, sold by ReadyMade. 67" wingspan, cf spars in the wing and wood keel in the fuselage. It's got a huge cargo bay. I have my receiver, the two EzOSD modules, a servo stretcher, the battery and all cables in it, and it still has room for lots more.

Ok, to my question; is there a local source for cabling? I'd like to get an extension for my GPS module to separate it from other stuff. It's a 4-wire cable, with micro connectors at each end. Also, I'd like to run my 5.8ghz antenna out to the vertical stab, for separation purposes too. These aren't critical, but I'd lke to do it for elegance's sake.
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:53 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartmouth01 View Post
Hey guys, this isn't necessarily on topic with SD business, but I wanted to bounce the idea of my next purchase off some more knowledgeable folks before I pull the trigger.... I'm looking to upgrade my simple OSD to something that has a current reading and point to home. I'm flying a witespy quad with 5.8 Fatshark Predator goggles and 100mW IRC VTX. I'm thinking of going with the IRC EZOSD (from readymaderc) because I like that its easy (as the name suggests) with minimal muss and fuss. Also would give me the option for antenna tracking later on. Just wondering, this sound like the best option for me or am I unaware of any better options?

Thanks in advance!
FWIW, I use the EzOsd, and it works fine for me.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:09 PM
Aerial DP
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
the nicest part of what you have now and the ezosd is it's plug and play for that vtx, etc.

Robert, Andi can't make you what you need? I can custom make anything if he can't get it done for you, just need the sizes of the connectors you need on either end, i always have most building stuff around, am building for hire.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:20 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stinson View Post
hey guys, got a couple of pics to share, and a question.

The plane is the Penguin, by Finwing, sold by ReadyMade. 67" wingspan, cf spars in the wing and wood keel in the fuselage. It's got a huge cargo bay. I have my receiver, the two EzOSD modules, a servo stretcher, the battery and all cables in it, and it still has room for lots more.

Ok, to my question; is there a local source for cabling? I'd like to get an extension for my GPS module to separate it from other stuff. It's a 4-wire cable, with micro connectors at each end. Also, I'd like to run my 5.8ghz antenna out to the vertical stab, for separation purposes too. These aren't critical, but I'd lke to do it for elegance's sake.
I'm a lurker on this thread, but just finished my Penguin and I just spliced in some Cat5e cable for the GPS extension. And for the Vtx, you don't want to extend your antenna, it will kill your range. You can't extend antenna coax on higher frequencies. So, you would need to mount your vtx out on the stabilizer and just run longer power and video wires. You can get both cables at Fry's, radio shack, etc.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:29 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
Looks like I won't make it out in the morning tomorrow as I have to play nice with the wife on taking her out for an overnight. If we head home early enough I may swing by Corazon to see if anyone is still there
Jaynen is offline Find More Posts by Jaynen
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:45 PM
Aerial DP
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
Hey OC dude, you ever fly here?

zII fpv in Ventura (3 min 45 sec)
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:12 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Hey OC dude, you ever fly here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGB0fHZkbLg
Nope, but I have been thinking it would be awsome to fly out to one of the islands out there. Don't know if that's doable, without getting into any other air traffic. But a buddy and I have been talking Catalina from Long Beach. He has a boat, so we can test range and ride along in case anything goes wrong.

BTW, I enjoy following you guys and your adventures. I'm an ex SD resident, went to school at UCSD and lived there for 6 yrs. I miss it there and want to come back. I live vicariously through your thread and am really jealous. (Anybody know anybody looking for a mechanical engineer with a little electronics background?)

Anyways, Hopefully one of these weekends i can make it down to fly with you. Keep up the awsomeness.

BTW again... Kloner, that friend I mentioned is business partners with Patrick at AMP, did you hear they caught the thieves?
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:38 PM
Aerial DP
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
theres a guy commenting on the youtube that wants to do it, has it scouted, was why i asked,,,,,,, it's a natural draw to go check em out.....
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:51 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
BTW again... Kloner, that friend I mentioned is business partners with Patrick at AMP, did you hear they caught the thieves?
Hey that is great news.....do you know if they were able to recover any of their equipement?
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:04 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,731 Posts
Quote:
the nicest part of what you have now and the ezosd is it's plug and play for that vtx, etc.

Robert, Andi can't make you what you need? I can custom make anything if he can't get it done for you, just need the sizes of the connectors you need on either end, i always have most building stuff around, am building for hire.
Kloner, I'm not acquainted with Andi. If you'll point me in his direction, I'd be obliged. Thanks. If that doesnt work out, maybe I can get you to do it.