HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:43 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
NAS North Island's final approach path indeed goes by the Hotel Del. The closer to the base, the lower the ceiling. That said, if you're flying below the spire, in the vicinity of the Hotel, as he did, I don't think anyone can argue that you'll run into a manned aircraft.
Correct. I kept it low and had spotters for any aircraft in the vicinity. I wasn't in the air when anything else was around. Planes get closer when we fly at Daves
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:01 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
Joined Apr 2011
3,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Correct. I kept it low and had spotters for any aircraft in the vicinity. I wasn't in the air when anything else was around. Planes get closer when we fly at Daves
Very true....
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:35 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,846 Posts
Carlsbads departure over Dave's is about 2000ft as already ... Based on the FAA tower when I told them about our sept meetup
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,414 Posts
Here's a far less elegant video, captured last Christmas day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4kaxLbN30Sw

An added level of separation is knowing that the field is in fact closed:

M0329/12 NOTAMR M0317/12
Q) /QFAAH
A) KNZY
B) 201212192042
C) 201301071430
E) KNZY HOLIDAY REDUCED HOURS OF OPS/CLOSURES AS SCHEDULED BELOW.
19 - 21 DEC 12 0700-1600L (1500-2400Z) (1600-2000L VFR SERVICE TO
TENANT UNITS ONLY)
22 - 25 DEC 12 CLOSED
26 - 28 DEC 12 1000-1900L (1800-0300Z) (1900-2000L VFR SERVICE TO
TENANT UNITS ONLY)
29 DEC - 1 JAN 13 CLOSED
2 - 4 JAN 13 0700-1600L (1500-2400Z)
5 - 6 JAN 13 0800-1600L (1600-2400Z)
7 JAN 13 RESUME NORMAL OPS.

In any case, always have a lookout and give way to full scale traffic.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Dec 30, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,752 Posts
Anybody flying at SEFSD tomorrow?
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:49 PM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
910 Posts
Looks great Monty, that gimble is really working well.

I blew up a ZXL today, the red one. Was making a pass down the tracks today and it hit about 70mph, got into this crazy oscillation into pitching the batteries.......... ah well, better luck next time
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,269 Posts
Mental note.. When testing RTH don't flip the throttle kill switch...

Camera Eject (0 min 31 sec)
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:56 PM
Fly it, edit it, post it.
Joined Dec 2011
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloner View Post

I blew up a ZXL today, the red one. Was making a pass down the tracks today and it hit about 70mph, got into this crazy oscillation into pitching the batteries.......... ah well, better luck next time
One Zephyr 2 down, One ZXL down, I think the desert won today. The multirotor systems were off the hook. I can't wait to see our session at the windmills.
tregtronics is offline Find More Posts by tregtronics
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,394 Posts
Quote:

......Noooooo....well good thing you have a backup.....i guess thats the fun of flying huh?? getting to crash them too
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:42 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
Anybody flying at SEFSD tomorrow?
Was there today.

If I make it tomorrow, it will be late morning...
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:

Ah dang, man. Is it totaled? What do you think happened?
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,394 Posts
So i ordered a new esc today to see if that will fix my stability issues on my copter...it was very unstable at daves yesterday...thought i might crash it...double checked all my connections today too and they are all solid...so i think maybe it's just that one esc that i can't calibrate to the throttle...
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:18 AM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
910 Posts
kyle, look at the motor/prop adapter/prop to blame, it'll crash naza not running perfectly balanced props, slightly bent adapters or a broken race. Any time a motor touches the ground and either scratches the adapter or breakes a prop, you might just swap a prop but it's alot deeper than that and eventualy leads to a naa leaning over to one side taking full opposite deflection to hover it. then the vibe mellows out and you get it back or it gets worse and away it goes. You can't fool yourself when you crash, easiest way is to buy a new motor, prop adapter or prop, theres no fixing any of that in a quad like you got

The red one is totalled, it broke the spine, think all the spars blew up in the oscilation, is why the batteries came flying out of it, it was done before touching the ground...... Cool part about planes like this is it's an airframe away from another chance at a better one. The parts are all still fine. The props not even scratched
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:32 AM
Fly it, edit it, post it.
Joined Dec 2011
356 Posts
Quote:
The red one is totalled, it broke the spine, think all the spars blew up in the oscilation, is why the batteries came flying out of it, it was done before touching the ground...... Cool part about planes like this is it's an airframe away from another chance at a better one. The parts are all still fine. The props not even scratched
Funny, when I dissected mine, my spars were broken too. I could flex the entire airframe. I think it snapped in mid air before that and was really loose, and when I went to turn, it just fell out of the sky. The whole airframe flexed 2", and when moving the elevon, the entire frame was flexing too. Bad day for Zephyrs, I really think I am going to do some work on my EPO version today. That EPP foam kind of sucks. Trappy might have a point, these Ritewing airframes are going in the mass market direction. Yours snapped just gunning the throttle. I will never forget the oscillation of the big red, then the battery explosion, then the giggle of those girls as your frame came tumbling to earth.
tregtronics is offline Find More Posts by tregtronics
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Apr 2011
3,394 Posts
Quote:
kyle, look at the motor/prop adapter/prop to blame, it'll crash naza not running perfectly balanced props, slightly bent adapters or a broken race. Any time a motor touches the ground and either scratches the adapter or breakes a prop, you might just swap a prop but it's alot deeper than that and eventualy leads to a naa leaning over to one side taking full opposite deflection to hover it. then the vibe mellows out and you get it back or it gets worse and away it goes. You can't fool yourself when you crash, easiest way is to buy a new motor, prop adapter or prop, theres no fixing any of that in a quad like you got
Thanks for the advice Kloner...i dont think my motors or props are to blame on this one...these props have never struck the ground and neither have the motors...
I will check the adapters for wobble...but im gonna see if its that ESC first...i just have a sneaking suspicion it really has to do with not being able to calbrate the throttle....
When i plug the red wire back in on that esc and plug it in to my rx...it doesnt even power the rx...so there is nothing coming out of that power wire on the esc...not that part matters when using with the Naza since we disconnect the bec wires...but still...Process of elimination i guess....