SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:15 PM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
910 Posts
how gophery is it over there? i never walked out on it, but theres this

sorrento runway (0 min 7 sec)

this was no wind, afternoon would be wind at my back from filming so you could hit that 90 degrees facing towards me and if not too rutted from gophers just park it.

i went down the face of the steep hill and it was super easy from all the uprooted dirt

if you could really slow her down with flaps, it could get into where scott was landing. it's tight and a one shot deal though..... in through trees it looked like.
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:19 PM
Aerial DP
Joined Apr 2010
910 Posts
I'm pretty sure i've met Bob over at Jons...... that dam place is what started my addiction 20 years ago...... concept 30 and a jr radio was all it took and that gear took alot of beatings
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:25 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
639 Posts
Andy- did you hear back about Camp Pendelton?
TheMagician007 is online now Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:04 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,846 Posts
Not yet - But they usually pretty slow responding ...
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:56 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,414 Posts
Winds tending from the North today...which required a base turn for a short final...

Approach to Landing, Sorrento Valley (0 min 15 sec)
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:40 PM
Fly it, edit it, post it.
Joined Dec 2011
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Winds tending from the North today...which required a base turn for a short final...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaa4...ature=youtu.be
That is my favorite place... nice landing; The landing Kloner caught of mine in that previous vid was done FPV, with a stark video drop at the very end as I went behind the hill... so usually I am just trying to get land near the path at the top, so I don't have to go very far.

I'm always landing there under goggles, lawn darting to the nearest safe place away from peoples. That big old hill really will be a lot nicer once the rains start, and it is all green and lush. The entire valley gets all nice and lush, with the mustard seed, and the grasses. I can't wait til we spot the first herd of deer, and take it for a little chase.
tregtronics is offline Find More Posts by tregtronics
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,414 Posts
San Diego Area FPV Flying Sites

Just my list...

SEFSD, Mission Bay
Pros: Awesome Location, dirt runway, lots of friendly/interested folks.
Cons: Relatively small flying area, lots of vehicular traffic close by, AMA rules.

Otay Lake
Pros: Totally Secluded, awesome LZ, lots of grass, wide open airspace (usually and for sure if you stay below 400')
Cons: It's a trek from downtown...only open on weekends and Wednesdays.

Sorrento Valley
Pros: Secluded, lots of "grass"...lols...clear airspace, especially in the canyon...Relatively central location.
Cons: a bit rough on foamies...

The Dessert
Pros: Secluded, Lots of Clear Airspace...long distance flying for all my friends!
Cons: A hike...It can be REALLY COLD or REALLY HOT.

South Bay Park
Pros: Totally secluded
Cons: Small flying area, lots of things to hit, below NASNI GCA pattern (not an issue if you stick to flying below 400' AGL

The Beaches (Mission Beach & La Jolla)
Pros: Beach sand and wide open airspace to sea...what else can I say.
Cons: Lots of "bystanders". Apparently there's a no "motorized" craft rule, which some lifeguards choose to impose on my EZ*. Lots of RF noise (Mission Beach, in particular). MB is under SAN departure corridor. MB and LJ have quite a bit of VFR traffic along the beach.

Dave's Beach
Pros: Same as above...Very RC friendly
Cons: Lots of "bystanders". HW 1, just feet away...Cliffs prove a challenge just in case of an inadvertent landing...for me a trek

DSP
Pros: None
Cons: Smells like $4!t, tight space
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tregtronics View Post
That is my favorite place... nice landing; The landing Kloner caught of mine in that previous vid was done FPV, with a stark video drop at the very end as I went behind the hill... so usually I am just trying to get land near the path at the top, so I don't have to go very far.

I'm always landing there under goggles, lawn darting to the nearest safe place away from peoples. That big old hill really will be a lot nicer once the rains start, and it is all green and lush. The entire valley gets all nice and lush, with the mustard seed, and the grasses. I can't wait til we spot the first herd of deer, and take it for a little chase.
Thanks! I fly under the goggles from launch all the way to recovery...the light was really challenging on final...Today the sky was full of bright clouds, which totally washed out the ground...It is indeed an awesome place to fly though...

Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:29 AM
Aerial DP
Joined Apr 2010
910 Posts
that list pretty much summed it up..... love the desert though. I'm gonna try to hit glamis this trip with the zeph,,,,, Got a few mountains out that way i wanna surf too.... soon , very soon

every time i pick up my foam plane no matter where i land at sorrento it's got sticks coming out of it. All green and lush with deer running around will be sweet.

I'd love to go hit some new spots too though. I'm all about new places to fly. that spot at sorrento just has that feeling of a hell of a hike coming up soon for ol kloner,,,, flip flops and shorts down the side of the hill,,,,,,haha
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:50 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,394 Posts
There are a couple spots out my way that I've wanted to try...although it requires a little hiking...but i think the payoff would be amazing!
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,269 Posts
Is everyone up in North County? Just curious where everyone is at before suggesting some sites.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Apr 2011
3,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
Is everyone up in North County? Just curious where everyone is at before suggesting some sites.
I am in the rancho Bernardo area..so yeah...i guess I'm considered north county...but i don't mind driving to a good spot
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:16 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
I am in the rancho Bernardo area..so yeah...i guess I'm considered north county...but i don't mind driving to a good spot
I'll send you a PM for 'Grid 8'. It was mentioned to me as a possible FPV'able area. I was asked to keep it on the down low so other, shall we say, not so welcome flyers don't find out about it. Please don't share the coords of the location in the public forum. I've already been out there once to survey the land and it's pretty flat. I didn't fly FPV but will probably move some of my autonomous operations out there.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by typicalaimster; Oct 09, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Apr 2011
3,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
I'll send you a PM for 'Grid 8'. It was mentioned to me as a possible FPV'able area. I was asked to keep it on the down low so other, shall we say, not so welcome flyers don't find out about it. Please don't share the coords of the location in the public forum. I've already been out there once to survey the land and it's pretty flat. I didn't fly FPV but will probably move some of my autonomous operations out there.
For sure dude...thank you.

yeah i like to fly at hilltop park in Rancho Penasquitos...if you go at the right time, there is barely anyone there and you have the place yourself for the most part. It has a big grassy area for landing and its way up on the hill that overlooks the whole valley.

For those who have the capabilities...you could potentially have a straight shot to the ocean from there....
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Apr 2011
3,394 Posts
Some potential spots near me

So here are some potential spots we could fly...these are the ones i mentioned we would need to hike a little too...but the payoff could be pretty awesome...I actually saw someone flying there yesterday on my way home..

here are the general cooridinates...the spots are all in this general area..

32.990324,-117.128018
32.995141,-117.12011