HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jpm1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:40 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
1,290 Posts
Build Log
1/6 scale Airco DeHavilland DH2, David Hurrel design

To continue with my passion for strange old planes I have started a build of a 1/6 scale DH2. I have almost completed the plug for the fuselage mould, I'm going to use carbon box section for the wing spars, I have almost finished cutting all the wing ribs and I hope to start putting things together soon.
The rigging on this plane is fairly busy to say the least and should pose a good challenge.
The parts are slowly starting to trickle in. Rigging screws and pulleys on their way. Scale wheels and dummy radial engine as well. Plug almost ready to flop a mould off.
More parts starting to roll in. Nearly have all the wings finished. Need to sort out some silver soldering (haven't done it for 25 years). Got the motor and speedy during the week as well. Got to work out how I'm going to install the battery and servos, etc... The plans are very vague when it comes to those details.
I now have all the little brass PE parts on order from Arizona Models, that should save me a heap of time.
I have now made a cowling out of the mould, but I think I will do another one as the first is a bit heavy. At least it fits without too much drama. Still waiting on the parts from the US so I can really start to make it look like a plane.
A little more progress, but slow. As you can see I have started building the dummy Gnome engine. I now have the PE parts from the US as well. I have made a new lighter GRP cowling for the fuselage and have started on the landing gear. More updates as it happens
Not too much progress at the moment, but I received the #48 windsock data file on the DH2 in the mail this week. Lots of good information for some of the scale details and general construction.
jpm1 is offline Find More Posts by jpm1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jpm1; Oct 25, 2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: progress report
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:16 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Looking very nice. I'll be following. Your build.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:03 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,158 Posts
Nice work JP. In one of the early pics looks like you are doing the float plane again as well?
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:46 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
1,290 Posts
Hi JC,
that has been on the back burner for a while. I have nearly finished the plug and I was going to flop a mould off it so I can build the fuse in glass. I will get around to it but probably not before the end of the year.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:49 AM
bth
Bjørn Terje Hansebråten
Oslo , NORWAY
Joined Nov 2004
217 Posts
This looks really good. Good that other build the DH2 too. It is a nice plane.
bth is offline Find More Posts by bth
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:02 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Nice to see a good builders work decent workshop as well could not help noticing the whale shaped weights ,they sure look handy.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Mar 24, 2013, 03:28 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
1,290 Posts
Thanks Les. The whale shaped weights are for lofting curved lines, old school boat building style. They are also good for holding things in place while the glue dries, instead of using pins.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:16 PM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,158 Posts
Nice work JP! That dummy engine looks fantastic.
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:40 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
1,290 Posts
A little bit more progress as you can see from the photos above. I'm really enjoying the solartex. I have found it great to work with and easy to get a good result. Only two more wings to go and the ailerons and the all the flying surfaces are done, apart from some detailing and roundels. Then to start fitting servos, etc.....
Still plenty to do!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:12 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
1,290 Posts
Another stage complete. All the covering on the wings and ailerons is now finished. Still some detail work to do on the wings to finish totally.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jpm1; Apr 28, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:41 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
1,290 Posts
This is the first section of 5 in the wing structure. Let alone the tail booms and other stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2013, 03:36 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
1,290 Posts
some more pictures
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2013, 10:50 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010