SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:21 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,471 Posts
Know what you mean. I have done tons of rubber freeflight, from peanut to jumbo. Love that the best, but the east coast of Canada has it's fair shair of wind like Texas. When I get a calm day, I grab it!
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Pat said he was working on the 60" Super Cub, of course I found that out right after I'd received this one! Otherwise I might have waited. I wonder if he takes suggestions, because I'd really like to see him do a Aeronca Sedan. There's a couple old free flight plans that could be converted but I'd rather have something designed from the ground up as an RC model.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:00 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,471 Posts
I think he takes hints. But he's got a ton of designs in his mind too. I'm going to get the 60" J-3 and the 60" Super Cub as well. My 53" Super Cub of his and the L-4 bit the dust big time.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,836 Posts
He will custom design a plane for you, but it will cost some money.
I discussed it with him once. That's how I got into designing my own planes...but I've got a long way to go before I am at his level.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:30 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,524 Posts
I dropped a hint on Pat a couple of years ago for an Aeronca Sedan also. Great looking airplane.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:25 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglo View Post
Someone please tell me if I'm wrong here, but I think the main reason for washout is to make the plane less likely to tip stall. Since most of Pat's designs are difficult to make stall even when trying to, washout could be less critical?
Beleive it or not this Cub will tip stall and if your using flaps and slowing down it can happen with very littel warning. Even in flight on slow turns I have seen mine go directly into a spin. If you are not very high you are done for it and lots of repairs are to come. I love this plane but without washout it will have some issues. My advice is to add the washout. I you were covering in Ultracote or something stronger you could shrink it in and maybe even with coverlite you stil can.

This si a great airplane and it will do incredible short loandings and takeoffs just like the ones made for bush flying. However, there is a reason for the specification on the plan for washout. Just my opinion after flying mine so much I basically wore it out! Not from crashes but many, many landings and takeoffs from rough fields.

Dave
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I've cut my struts to hold in the specified 1/8" of washout, but I will see if the Litespan can hold it when it comes time to cover. One thing I noticed is the drawing showing the washout detail shows quite a bit more than the 1/8" the wing plan shows. Just wondering if its exaggerated...
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:37 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
I've cut my struts to hold in the specified 1/8" of washout, but I will see if the Litespan can hold it when it comes time to cover. One thing I noticed is the drawing showing the washout detail shows quite a bit more than the 1/8" the wing plan shows. Just wondering if its exaggerated...
I wondered about that as well since 1/8" is hard to even measure without laying the wing on a flat surface. However, 1/8" probably changes the angle of attack of the tip just enough.

Measuring the washout by using the struts may be a little tricky but if you take some careful measurements with the plane resting on a flat surface it may be ok. I would probably prop up the tail so the root of the wing measures the same height at the leading edge and trailing edge and then make sure the tip has the trailng edge 1/8" higher than the leading edge.

Dave
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I just measured it while slowly sanding down the rear strut so it was 1/8" higher with the strut installed than without. *shrug* I guess we'll see if that works!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
So yesterday I got the servos and control cables hooked up in the wing, but a question before I cover it all up. I used hot glue to mount the servos - the connection seems pretty solid right now but I'm wondering if they could work loose over time. The aileron servo movement manages to cause the balsa servo tray to flex a bit.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:22 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
I just measured it while slowly sanding down the rear strut so it was 1/8" higher with the strut installed than without. *shrug* I guess we'll see if that works!
Should be fine, just take her up high on maiden and do a bunch of slow flying. Try to find the minimum speed it will fly it while adding elevator to keep her level. Do this until a stall occurs and then you get an idea of when it stalls and what the stall is like. Then do it with the flaps fully down as well. Then try it while turning. The super cub will slow down so nicely it will give you a false feeling of security.

I am an experienced pilot flying fast planes, high wing loading planes, twins, planes with 4 motors and I still managed to stall my super cub into a spin near the ground.

Dave
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:20 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,836 Posts
I am usually really good at greasing my planes in for beautiful landings, but the last time I was landing my glider into a headwind and misjudged the speed. It stalled at 3 ft height, but wasn't high enough to cause any damage.

I couldn't imagine how slow Pat's planes fly with flaps. They're already slow. I asked him once if he's ever lost control of one of his planes with flaps and he said yes. He's had planes slow down on him so slow that he's lost aileron effectiveness. So be careful.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I know I haven't updated this thread in awhile. I have been working on the plane, it's just been slow. Covering took some time, but now it's more or less done, so it's down to work on more of the details, like finishing up the struts, and adding the plastic bits to the cowl. I'd like some tips on how to make the scoop thing that's pretty prominent on the bottom of the cowl. I think Pat made a plug out of balsa, taped the styrene sheet to that, then microwaved it for 30 seconds to get it to hold its shape. What should I use to glue the plastic?

I received Pat's float kit, which I'll get to eventually, but for now all I've done is made sure I installed a mounting point on the fuselage for it when I do build it.

I also picked up the sprayer seen in the last photo. It says one canister is good for 16 oz of paint, and recommends thinning water based paint 3:1. I picked up a couple bottles of Ceramcote silver and navy blue paint, and I'll make up a scrap frame and put some covering on, then do some test painting next week possibly to see how well it works. Still trying to figure out a good pattern, but I'm thinking something similar to how the carbon cubs are painted. I'll order the numbers and some other decals from Callie once I get the scheme on the plane.

I'm still debating on whether I should put some rib tapes on the rudder and elevator. I don't think I'll bother with mock stitching though, even if I do do the tapes.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:49 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
I am usually really good at greasing my planes in for beautiful landings, but the last time I was landing my glider into a headwind and misjudged the speed. It stalled at 3 ft height, but wasn't high enough to cause any damage.

I couldn't imagine how slow Pat's planes fly with flaps. They're already slow. I asked him once if he's ever lost control of one of his planes with flaps and he said yes. He's had planes slow down on him so slow that he's lost aileron effectiveness. So be careful.
The idea of the flaps is to increase drag significantly and make the plane able to make a much steeper approach without gaining a lot of speed. So, set it up to have a nice crisp descent rate when the flaps are down (mixing). The idea is to not let it get so slow it looses aileron effectivness but to make a short steep descent that is very controlable and this will help make very precise short landings. The flaps increase lift but offset this by mixing in some elevator to insure the plane descends at a predictable rate when flaps are full and the throttle is low but not at zero (like idle).

Hope this makes sense. I used to put a towel out on my grass field and try to land the plane as close to it as possible and with as short an approach as I could manage. if the setup is correct it will land like a bush plane. Sometimes I would slip (cross control) the plane to make it even shorter. It is a blast and will really polish up your landing skills.

Of course the flaps provide the drag that a slip would create but here is a cub doing a draggy landing to make an extremely short approach. Note the descent angle but still a very low speed approach. Also if you notice this guy is doing a lot of throttle adjustments and he is not back at idle during the final approach. This guy does it like it is an art form:

Piper L-4 forward slip, landing and high tail taxi (0 min 45 sec)

Dave
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:06 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I've reached a bit of a stalling point with the Cub. I tried out the Preval sprayer today with some thinned craft store acrylic, and really wasn't happy with the results. I tried a few times with different viscosities of thinning, but the droplets come out way to big, and it was impossible to get a good even and smooth finish. Luckily I didn't ruin anything, but I'm abandoning the idea of using this sprayer. At least it was cheap. So, I've now picked up some cans of Krylon from the store, though Wal-Mart didn't have silver so I'll have to go back for that, or just get the can of Aluminum they had. The problem is, I don't have a good place like a heated garage to use spray cans, and the weather outside is frightful, so I'm going to either have to; find a buddy who will let me use their garage, buy or borrow and airbrush and compressor, or wait for warmer weather, which won't happen till spring! Or figure out a way to ventilate my condo so I don't kill my brain cells...

I do have a bit more work to do on the cowl, and I could work out a battery tray and fit the door, but that's about it till I can figure out the painting thing.

So I've started my Jim Young Waco. This one is gonna be fun too!