Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:10 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Here's what I managed to get done today. Lift struts were adjusted to length. I bolted the wing to the plane, then attached the strut to the fuselage. I then measured the length of the front strut so it would fit into the retainer on the wing without changing the dihedral of the wing. The rear strut was then cut so it raised the rear tip of the wing up the 1/8" specified in the plans. I still need to finish the jury struts.

I also started covering, beginning with something easy, the h-stab, elevator, and rudder. The v-stab is covered with the fuselage. Coverlite doesn't come with adhesive already applied. Based on other recommendations here, I used thinned out ModPodge, brushed on the back of the covering with a foam brush. Once it's dry, the covering was tacked to the frame with a glue stick, then heat was applied with my Hangar 9 iron. I used the temps recommended in the directions, so I tacked it down at 100 C, trimmed away the excess, then sealed at 140. I'd read a few "horror" stories about the silver Coverlite not shrinking very well, but as you can see in the photos, it shrank just fine. I've found a couple loose edges, but I'll re-seal those with some more ModPodge.

Tomorrow, I'll probably install the elevator and rudder servos, and setup the pull-pull system, and hopefully get the aileron and flap servos in.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:08 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,491 Posts
Looks really good. Very impressive.

Tony
tpfing is online now Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Jan 2012
196 Posts
That covering looks great. I'll have to put it on my list to try.

Regarding your next steps, I have a pull/pull to set up on my rudder too, so if you're able to take some good pics of your process I would really like to see how you do it.

Keep up the great work.
campbelltf is online now Find More Posts by campbelltf
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Got a bit more done today, hooking up the rudder and elevator servos. Rudder is pull-pull, using Du-Bro's kit. Elevator is just a pushrod.

Tomorrow I plan on tackling the covering on top of the plane, including the V-Stab and the dreaded fillet. Or I may work on the mechanics in the wing. Then I need to go fly or something since we're getting some unusually nice weather for October!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:19 PM
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Jan 2012
196 Posts
Great pics, thanks for taking the time to post those with the descriptions. Did you worry too much about matching the spread of the dowel on the rudder to the width of the servo arm? There are a lot of posts I've read about how important (or not important) the geometry of the pull/pull set up is. I also like the cotter pins at the servo to make it easy to adjust the tension. I'll definitely refer back when it comes time on my build. Thanks again!
campbelltf is online now Find More Posts by campbelltf
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Ok, I couldn't help myself, and decided to tackle the covering on the top of the fuselage. The fillet is tricky, and it didn't come out as well as I'd hoped, but for now I'm calling it good enough. I may change my mind in the next day and rip that covering off and try again, but I don't know if I'd be able to do it any better.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:29 AM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
Ok, I couldn't help myself, and decided to tackle the covering on the top of the fuselage. The fillet is tricky, and it didn't come out as well as I'd hoped, but for now I'm calling it good enough. I may change my mind in the next day and rip that covering off and try again, but I don't know if I'd be able to do it any better.
Great looking build you have there Bd!!

Every time I cover a plane I get that, "but for now I'm calling it good enough", point.

I think covering is some sort of mystical art form that only a few mortals are given the skill to do, with out fail..... I think yours looks fine, I'd leave it alone.

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smudge View Post
Great looking build you have there Bd!!

Every time I cover a plane I get that, "but for now I'm calling it good enough", point.

I think covering is some sort of mystical art form that only a few mortals are given the skill to do, with out fail..... I think yours looks fine, I'd leave it alone.

Bill
That right there is why I still insist on using tissue to cover an airplane every once in awhile. I like the old art, and it's a lot harder to get right than the modern shrink wrap coverings. The new stuff is definitely superior, but I still like keeping up on the tissue too.
builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:50 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,413 Posts
Heh dude, you want an exercise in frustration, try covering the fuse tail section of Pat's Champ, when you build it with the big dorsal fin!!!! If I wasn't bald already I'd be pulling my hair out. I'm at that "it's good enough" stage, and I hate that!!!
Might one day say that's it and recover it in good old silkspan and dope for the fuse and tissue for the tail feathers.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:35 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,512 Posts
Well I did actually. I built Pat Tritle's Stinson Voyager, which is a lot the same way in the tail section, and I covered it in Japanese tissue. It turned out really well.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:09 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,413 Posts
Fun! Aint it!!!
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:29 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,512 Posts
Actually, it is a lot of fun. I've been building planes since I was a kid, so I started young. The Voyager is extremely fragile though. Light...but fragile. Pick it up wrong and you'll break a longeron or your finger will go right through the Japanese tissue. There are almost never any days calm enough to fly this thing, in West Texas, so it hangs over my desk for now.

I don't blame Pat for the fragile longerons and tissue. The choice of balsa from Dumas was inferior, and the Japanese tissue was my idea. When I do tissue, I definitely prefer silkspan.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Luckily there aren't too many stringers to break on my SC. My 1/16" sq order of balsa ended up being closer to 3/32" and it's hard balsa, so it's pretty tough.

Still mulling over whether to try again on covering the fin. I used one piece on each side of the top, to cover from the aft of the wing mount area to the top of the fin, so there was a lot of scrap. I don't want to waste such a large amount of covering so I'm thinking about just cutting away at the fin then trying again, and living with a seam that will hopefully disappear a bit when I add paint.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:39 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
All fascinating stuff here. BD - your fin/fuselage fillet is great. That area can be a right pain at any size - I still shudder thinking about doing the same with Monokote on my 1/5th scale Sig Cub. You did a great job with Litespan, or whatever it's called here.

Pat Tritle is about the nearest RC has to what you commonly see in free flight indoor aeromodelling. I used to hang out with the Washington, DC, chapter of the 'Flying Aces Club', more to say I was a member than build anything like what those guys regarded as 'normal' and Pat gets close to their definition of 'added lightness' in construction techniques.

Am waiting for Pat's 60" Super Cub - next after his 60" J3, unless he's designed and built another half dozen model inbetween What it will end up looking like is not the run of the mill for Pat's model though, I suspect...

Following with interest, keep it up, BD

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:51 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,512 Posts
I go visit Pat usually whenever I am in Albuquerque, and he is one of the friendliest, most helpful people in the hobby. And you wouldn't BELIEVE how many prototypes he has hanging around his workshop. It's always great to talk to Pat!