HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:20 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknie View Post
Have you actually tried any of these new ESCs or are you just trolling them like several other people seem to be already?
Some people have high expectation for HobbyKing. I do. There's been a market for really good flashed ESCs software and hardware wise and people seem to be disappointed by this line with new heat shrink and a "stamp" of Multirotor. HobbyKing has more than enough resources to create true Multirotor ESCs. For HK to say " the product can be used on other R/C products" is like why make title them Multirotor. Either all in or all out.

Did they jump the gun releasing this product line? It seems so by people reactions.

Us noob have to go by what these experts say lol
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:27 AM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Is there a copy of Timecop's comments anywhere?

I understand that p/n-fets run hotter than all n-fet designs. Supposedly, these are p/n-fet.

Also, I have read sbec/ubec switching is more efficient, but can produce noise. The often recommended f30-a has a ubec, which I assume is also a switching bec. Is there a difference in the bec on these?

There is also the external oscillator feature that I have read is better. I don't know what these have.

As far as refresh rates go, my understanding is that most escs have 400Hz or more update frequencies. Some just advertise it more. So nothing new there.

Personally, I have had great luck with the 30amp blue/mystery escs and they are super easy to flash. I am not sure what, if anything makes the f30-a better than the blues. Seems like TC was a fan of them early on, then switched to the f30-a later. Perhaps, it is bec design.

I am not an engineer and just go by what I read from the experts. Any clarification on these features would be great. I am sure it is all scattered around the flashing thread, but I can't get the forum search to work very well over long time periods.

Thanks TC, SimonK and others for your great work and help.
oddcopter is offline Find More Posts by oddcopter
Last edited by oddcopter; Oct 04, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddcopter View Post
Is there a copy of Timecop's comments anywhere?

I understand that p/n-fets run hotter than all n-fet designs. Supposedly, these are p/n-fet.

Also, I have read sbec/ubec switching is more efficient, but can produce noise. The often recommended f30-a has a ubec, which I assume is also a switching bec. Is there a difference in the bec on these?

There is also the external oscillator feature that I have read is better. I don't know what these have.

As far as refresh rates go, my understanding is that most escs have 400Hz or more update frequencies. Some just advertise it more. So nothing new there.

Personally, I have had great luck with the 30amp blue/mystery escs and they are super easy to flash. I am not sure what, if anything makes the f30-a better than the blues. Seems like TC was a fan of them early on, then switched to the f30-a later. Perhaps, it is bec design.

I am not an engineer and just go by what I read from the experts. Any clarification on these features would be great. I am sure it is all scattered around the flashing thread, but I can't get the forum search to work very well over long time periods.

Thanks TC, SimonK and others for your great work and help.
I had a copy of the discussion knowing it was going to be good but I lost it in my clipboard lol

The F-30As have a linear bec not switching bec which is bad if you connect all escs with switching bec to your flight controller. Thats why timecop doesnít like these ESCs.

TC was just going back and forth with HobbyKing Admin over if these escs were clones of some kda escs. They weren't.

The P-Fets are affected by the increase in temperature and cause the Escs to drift. N-Fet handles the temperature increases better. At least that was my understanding and it makes sense lol

These new line of escs have external oscillators. They're also already in the ESCs excel sheet

I donít think all ESCs have that 400mhz refresh rate. But I donít remember at the moment.

Technically they are very similar but what make the F-30A so sought over is the design (All N-Fet and External Oscillator) is the pads in a row and at the edge of the ESC. Makes it very easy to flash by making a flashing device with pins. You donít have to cut the heat shrink off. Iíve seen your method too and thatís easy too.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:44 AM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
1,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
Some people have high expectation for HobbyKing. I do. There's been a market for really good flashed ESCs software and hardware wise and people seem to be disappointed by this line with new heat shrink and a "stamp" of Multirotor. HobbyKing has more than enough resources to create true Multirotor ESCs. For HK to say " the product can be used on other R/C products" is like why make title them Multirotor. Either all in or all out.

Did they jump the gun releasing this product line? It seems so by people reactions.

Us noob have to go by what these experts say lol
I agree. Getting tired of waiting for people to make a really smart ESC.

I'd love to see a central up holding the processor, and then slots for 4, 6, and 8 power cards. No more power distribution boards, but also replaceable power sections.

The Hobbywing Quattro is close. At $30 for 4x20A ESC, it's not worth going with the power card idea. But I wouldn't want to spend $100+ on 8x40A ESC and have one section blow and have to replace the whole thing.

Also, would be great if they provided some way to get info off of the ESC and into the flight controller. Feedback. Could signal motor failure which will help the FC deal with the problem. Currently this is completely lacking in the market.

Hobbyking has the resources to pull it off at a good price. But unfortunately this is just another rebranding job with little effort put in it.
R_Lefebvre is online now Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Would they loose the "Stalled motor protection" once flashed with SimonK firmware?
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:41 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
I had a copy of the discussion knowing it was going to be good but I lost it in my clipboard lol

The F-30As have a linear bec not switching bec which is bad if you connect all escs with switching bec to your flight controller. Thats why timecop doesn’t like these ESCs.

TC was just going back and forth with HobbyKing Admin over if these escs were clones of some kda escs. They weren't.

The P-Fets are affected by the increase in temperature and cause the Escs to drift. N-Fet handles the temperature increases better. At least that was my understanding and it makes sense lol

These new line of escs have external oscillators. They're also already in the ESCs excel sheet

I don’t think all ESCs have that 400mhz refresh rate. But I don’t remember at the moment.

Technically they are very similar but what make the F-30A so sought over is the design (All N-Fet and External Oscillator) is the pads in a row and at the edge of the ESC. Makes it very easy to flash by making a flashing device with pins. You don’t have to cut the heat shrink off. I’ve seen your method too and that’s easy too.
Thanks for the info!

Unless someone knows of a good reason to switch, I think I will stick with 30 amp blues. Cheap, simple to flash and often available at the US store.

Here is a TC post about 400Hz
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...c#post20425915
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:26 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info!
Here is a TC post about 400Hz
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...c#post20425915
reading those old posts make me realize how much I miss Timecop's input around here.

It seems that if automated "reporting" of problems is allowed, then the same should be allowed for "fans" of good content.

It will be interesting to see how these ESC's work out in practice. I must say that all things being equal, not having to solder on connections and the like would suit me just fine. But the function has to right too.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:37 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
reading those old posts make me realize how much I miss Timecop's input around here.

It seems that if automated "reporting" of problems is allowed, then the same should be allowed for "fans" of good content.

It will be interesting to see how these ESC's work out in practice. I must say that all things being equal, not having to solder on connections and the like would suit me just fine. But the function has to right too.

cheers,
Andrew
Yeah, TC is great!

I never solder the 30amp blues:

http://oddcopter.com/2012/08/11/simp...monk-firmware/
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:06 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, TC is great!

I never solder the 30amp blues:

http://oddcopter.com/2012/08/11/simp...monk-firmware/
I think he meant soldering on 3.5mm bullet connectors.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:10 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,081 Posts
@oddcopter love the site btw.. I reference it all the time to people lol
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:22 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
@oddcopter love the site btw.. I reference it all the time to people lol
Thanks!

Oh, yeah, I see now, sorry Banjo5. Those harnesses may be the best thing about this new product. I do 4 16awg wires directly into each side of an ec5 connector, but if these had been available, I would have tried them.
Last edited by oddcopter; Oct 04, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:04 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
I think he meant soldering on 3.5mm bullet connectors.
Yup, those ones. Not a big deal, but has to be done. PITA when one of my F20A's was defective, so had to do it again..

On the programming side, I got lazy (aka pragmatic ) and bought the HK socket. I have to admit the pins through clear heat shrink is a slick method too. Much easier than the pogo pin adapter I've almost got finished to do my f10 ESC's.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Nov 2004
151 Posts
firmware from multirotor to HK escs

someone should see if multirotor esc layout is same as other std esc like the hk's.
if it is than we can download multirotor firmware an flash old escs with it to try it.
simonk has proven to be unreliable with some motors, wiiesc is better but none of them has a timing setup..I hate that thing because after lot of trials I found that timing has a real gain in both endurance and crispness. On my normal zoom400 hely I had 8% less current with hi timing on a castle creation esc, measured with wattmeter in hovering.
Ingo is offline Find More Posts by Ingo
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:44 PM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
simonk has proven to be unreliable with some motors, wiiesc is better but none of them has a timing setup..
At least with SimonK firmware you could change timing in tgy.asm (with other options too).
With bootoloader updating all ESC's will be in seconds. But... Doubt you will get any measurable performance boost.
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Aug 2007
414 Posts
how do these compare to Rctimer simonK esc's? Are those p-fet or n-fet?
SGsoar is offline Find More Posts by SGsoar
Last edited by SGsoar; Nov 01, 2012 at 11:02 PM.