HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:04 AM
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
I agree. I use whatever DR and Expo necessary to make my heli's fly to my liking.
I've seen guys saying that they use -20%. I am not understanding what gives more actual impact on flying, 30% or -20%. Just not sure how expo works but I can learn! (most times)
thintz is offline Find More Posts by thintz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:29 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thintz View Post
I've seen guys saying that they use -20%. I am not understanding what gives more actual impact on flying, 30% or -20%. Just not sure how expo works but I can learn! (most times)
With expo set to zero the servos move the same distance at the beginning of your stick travel as at the end of the stick travel. As you increase the expo you will get less servo travel at the beginning of the stick movement and more servo at the end of the stick travel.

In another words the higher the expo the "softer" the stick is around center.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:32 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
538 Posts
Thinz the +/- is different between different makes, to make it less sensitive on Spektrum and JR around the center you use +ve expo on Futaba _ve expo, if you do it the other way you make it more sensitive around the centre, although I'm not sure why you'd want more.

To explain Expo, lets say you'd dialled in 50% expo then the servo movement is exponentially linked to the stick movement as you's get something like the below

10% stick movement = 2.5% servo movement
50% stick movemement = 25% servo movement
100% stick movement = 100% servo movement

So if you have a model thats sensitive around the centre stick position but you still want full throw for those get out of jail moments then expo is you friend, makes it easier to keep smooth at small stick movements but still gives you the full movement when you need it.
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:38 AM
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
I have the Spektrum DX6I and will be putting this info to good use today! I appreciate the explaination. I would have never thought that expo differed between radio brands. That seems kind of weird.
thintz is offline Find More Posts by thintz
Old Apr 21, 2013, 04:02 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,127 Posts
I have a slight tailwag or vibration on my 300x (out-of-box). My gain is set at 54% as recommeded in the manual for a dx7s tx, though I've tried as low as 30% gain. At any gain setting the tailwag or vibration seems consistant, but at 30% it all started to feel mushy as opposed to a locked in feeling... tail still wags. Otherwise I really like this heli and the ar7200bx controller. What are some things I should check? I'm kind of new to fbl setups.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old May 04, 2013, 09:01 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jan 2013
147 Posts
Been flying our 300x for a couple of weeks now. Love the heli, but has an issue allready!! The heli developed a realy bad tail shake. It would violently jerk to the side. This started out gradualy but then came on very rapid. No crashes. Just practice hovering and flying around, all in normal mode. Thought maybe it was the gyro beast X so moved the beast x to another brand new 300 we have and it flies great, so the problem is mechanical.. Here is a link to a short video showing the slop in the motor after only 20 batteries through it.. Does anybody know of another motor that will fit this heli? Scorpion etc etc? I am going to call Horizon and send a link to this vid but this seems to be a pretty comon problem so am thinking of an alternative. We will see how long the new one lasts with the carbon fiber blades. Much smoother and quiter. Maybe thats the ticket? UPDATE!! Once again Horizon Hobby comes through!! I called tech this morning, told them about my problem, and he wanted to see this video. Gave him the link, and he said, "Oh Yea, thats way too much play, we will send you a new motor right away!!!" THAT is custamer service!! Horizon Hobby is a breath of fresh air!!
blade 300x motor problem (1 min 55 sec)
prowler101 is offline Find More Posts by prowler101
Last edited by prowler101; May 04, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old May 04, 2013, 12:00 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,127 Posts
I've had a slight wag out of the box. Checking my motor there is a quite a bit up and down play... but I didn't notice any side to side play.

Do you think the new motor is going to solve your problem?
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old May 06, 2013, 08:58 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jan 2013
147 Posts
Will find out soon I guess. will let you know...
prowler101 is offline Find More Posts by prowler101
Old May 23, 2013, 11:07 PM
Beam me up Scotty!
United States, VA
Joined Nov 2012
173 Posts
I'm seriously looking at the heli. I'm a novice at best when it come to flying. I don't really want to step up to a 450 size and think this might fit the bill for me. I guess my question would be is this heli a good transition bird to learn basic mild 3D on?

Thanks
Virginian is offline Find More Posts by Virginian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2013, 10:25 AM
RC Heli Addict
United States, GA, Dublin
Joined Mar 2013
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I'm seriously looking at the heli. I'm a novice at best when it come to flying. I don't really want to step up to a 450 size and think this might fit the bill for me. I guess my question would be is this heli a good transition bird to learn basic mild 3D on?

Thanks
I think it is a great step up towards learning mild 3D if that's your goal. The AR7200bx makes this thing rock solid in the air. It comes with wood blades so you can't have the throttle up to 100% until you get carbon fiber blades, but that's the only immediate drawback with this heli's performance out of the box. It will most definitely do 3D and isn't too big so it shouldn't intimidate you like a 500 or bigger may. I have a 450 also and I will say that when I first got it I was definitely intimidated by it. I wasn't so much by the 300 but I also didn't underestimate it because if you do it can get away from you very quick. Sure the 300X has a few drawbacks such as the flex in the plastic frame, the motor's tending to cause vibration, the main shafts warping or shearing in two if flown hard with the wood blades, etc. All in all I would recommend this heli as a great learning tool in the succession of learning to do 3D. Learning 3D is my goal as well and that's why I chose to get the 300X before my next heli, the 550X. I don't want to learn the smack 3D as much as I want to do more slow and tuned down 3D and the 300X is a step in that direction in my opinion.
shaun.evans09 is offline Find More Posts by shaun.evans09
Old May 24, 2013, 10:30 AM
Beam me up Scotty!
United States, VA
Joined Nov 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun.evans09 View Post
I think it is a great step up towards learning mild 3D if that's your goal. The AR7200bx makes this thing rock solid in the air. It comes with wood blades so you can't have the throttle up to 100% until you get carbon fiber blades, but that's the only immediate drawback with this heli's performance out of the box. It will most definitely do 3D and isn't too big so it shouldn't intimidate you like a 500 or bigger may. I have a 450 also and I will say that when I first got it I was definitely intimidated by it. I wasn't so much by the 300 but I also didn't underestimate it because if you do it can get away from you very quick. Sure the 300X has a few drawbacks such as the flex in the plastic frame, the motor's tending to cause vibration, the main shafts warping or shearing in two if flown hard with the wood blades, etc. All in all I would recommend this heli as a great learning tool in the succession of learning to do 3D. Learning 3D is my goal as well and that's why I chose to get the 300X before my next heli, the 550X. I don't want to learn the smack 3D as much as I want to do more slow and tuned down 3D and the 300X is a step in that direction in my opinion.
Great reply Shaun! The 450 or 500 did/does intimidate me with it's size. I think this will be my next heli as the micros are too sensitive to learn on and needing calm days to try and learn. Many thanks for your reply.

Eric
Virginian is offline Find More Posts by Virginian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
New 300X Owner

Quite a nice little heli, 6 pretty good flights and it's rock solid, cannot believe the tracking and stability of a heli this small, and in a pretty good breeze as well. I must have to put in more pitch or something, because it doesn't have a lot of negative "pop", it's kinda lathargic inverted. I have the throttle curve set to the revised sheet in the manual. I know there;s limitations to the wood blades, but I must be missing something in the set-up? Still, I really like it and it will be great in the large park area I fly in.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Last edited by RICH S; Jun 16, 2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old May 30, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Mar 2013
613 Posts
Does anyone know how much extra weight this can carry? What will 150g do to it? What about 200g?

Thanks.
JustStartingRC is offline Find More Posts by JustStartingRC
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:03 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Hi all, I fly a lot of planes but am fairly new to helis.

Currently I am flying a mCPx BL and it seems ok except that it gets really small very fast and is way too easy to lose orientation.

I am seriously considering this 300x as my next heli and was wondering:

1. Can someone please take a photo of a 300x beside a mcpx bl so that I can get some idea of how much bigger the 300x is? (Is the 300x fairly easy to see to keep orientation?).

2. Can anyone please measure the standard battery dimensions and weight as I have a heap of Rhino 3S 1250 mah 35C batteries from a small plane i own that I would like to use in the 300x to save buying a heap of new batteries.
The Rhino batteries are 85mm x 34mm x 15mm and weigh approx 103g, do you think the Rhino batteries would work ok in the 300x? (enough power and correct size and CG)?

3. Are the wood blades ok for starters and mild normal flight or do they cause too many vibrations and damage to the heli?, should I immediately order CF blades with the heli?

4. I use a Spektrum DX8 TX, is the standard downloadable 300x profile acceptable for heli beginners or do you need to adjust it to make it 'softer'?

5. Does the BeastX flybarless system need adjusting prior to flight or is it ok at standard settings?

6. Do i need to strip down the heli before flying it to loctite everything, or is it pre-done in the factory?
(anyone had any screws or anything work loose?).

7. Are there any parts that I need to order a lot of in advance to keep this bird flying? (gears/blades/shafts?). What are it's weak points?

Thanks very much in advance for any answers, photos, comments or advice about this sweet looking little heli.

Cheers
orbit_01 is offline Find More Posts by orbit_01
Old Aug 01, 2013, 07:32 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit_01 View Post
Hi all, I fly a lot of planes but am fairly new to helis.

Currently I am flying a mCPx BL and it seems ok except that it gets really small very fast and is way too easy to lose orientation.

I am seriously considering this 300x as my next heli and was wondering:

1. Can someone please take a photo of a 300x beside a mcpx bl so that I can get some idea of how much bigger the 300x is? (Is the 300x fairly easy to see to keep orientation?). - Sorry no photo but yes it is a lot bigger

2. Can anyone please measure the standard battery dimensions and weight as I have a heap of Rhino 3S 1250 mah 35C batteries from a small plane i own that I would like to use in the 300x to save buying a heap of new batteries.
The Rhino batteries are 85mm x 34mm x 15mm and weigh approx 103g, do you think the Rhino batteries would work ok in the 300x? (enough power and correct size and CG)? - It's not got a battery bay like the smaller helis, just a space and a velcro strap, I use Turnigy 1300 mah 3s batteries, I can't see any reason why your Rhino packs would fit, but check the c of g after or just weigh the Rhino battery and compare with the supplied battery.

3. Are the wood blades ok for starters and mild normal flight or do they cause too many vibrations and damage to the heli?, should I immediately order CF blades with the heli? - I'm still on the wood blaldes and for general flying around they are fine.

4. I use a Spektrum DX8 TX, is the standard downloadable 300x profile acceptable for heli beginners or do you need to adjust it to make it 'softer'? - I set mine up on the Dx6i settings and then added rates on cyclic and tail plus some expo, just to make it smoother.

5. Does the BeastX flybarless system need adjusting prior to flight or is it ok at standard settings? - I've not touched mine, I must admit this is a neat piece of kit and the 300x is feels very locked in to me compared the a conventional flybar plus rudder gyro only.

6. Do i need to strip down the heli before flying it to loctite everything, or is it pre-done in the factory?
(anyone had any screws or anything work loose?). - nope I just set mine up and flew it.

7. Are there any parts that I need to order a lot of in advance to keep this bird flying? (gears/blades/shafts?). What are it's weak points? - I've stripped the gears on the main gear in an arrival, but thats about it.

Thanks very much in advance for any answers, photos, comments or advice about this sweet looking little heli.

Cheers
See relies above, it is a sweet heli and after dabbling in various smaller and other 450 helis for a while, my flying came on a lot with this.
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS