HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:11 AM
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Jan 2013
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
I'm selling my MSR and 120SR now. Just isn't the same since I went CP and got my Nano for in the house. (Used to fly my MSR and my 120SR in house)
Put the money toward 300X parts starter stock.
Yep, I can see me doing about the same once I get started with the CP. We'll see. I shojld have the 300 and sim in a couple hours so there is some oooooh! time and getting the sim up and running to keep me busy for a while. I probably shojld do some work also, maybe not. I'm the boss!
thintz is offline Find More Posts by thintz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:15 AM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thintz View Post
Yep, I can see me doing about the same once I get started with the CP. We'll see. I shojld have the 300 and sim in a couple hours so there is some oooooh! time and getting the sim up and running to keep me busy for a while. I probably shojld do some work also, maybe not. I'm the boss!
lol

I'm disabled as far as working out side the house and for others. (M.S.) But my mind hasn't taken the past memories of how to bodybuild so I work at home as a pro drug free wheelchair bodybuilder. Thats why I get so much fly and web time. lol
Rich Knapp is offline Find More Posts by Rich Knapp
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Jan 2013
451 Posts
Quote:
lol

I'm disabled as far as working out side the house and for others. (M.S.) But my mind hasn't taken the past memories of how to bodybuild so I work at home as a pro drug free wheelchair bodybuilder. Thats why I get so much fly and web time. lol
I suppose in some sense of the word I am disabled due to my Alzheimer's but that is exactly why I took up RC again. I used to fly fixed wing all the time and got very good at it (got asked to stop coming to Fun Flies where my flying buddy and I used to clean up all the time), did a bunch of insructor flyin, was the official new plane test pilot but got away from it. Now, the fight against Alzheimer's makes working the brain and hand-to-eye coordinatoin all the more important. That was all the excuse I needed to start buying stuff that flies in a smaller area since I can;t drive to flying fields anymore.
Helos it is!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:46 AM
Joined Jul 2012
262 Posts
couple PM's sent.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Jul 2012
262 Posts
thintz get her in the air yet? What you think?
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:17 AM
Joined Jan 2013
451 Posts
Quote:
thintz get her in the air yet? What you think?
Not anxious or anything are you??
Not int he air, taking my time with that. Have used up several hundred dollars in blades on the sim though, VERY cool! I put Phoenix on my big buck graphics computer and it is great. It has the 300 X in it (download that file for free) so I can even crash inverted!
Actually, I am geting way better flying this thing once I figured that it is much like a fixed wing, especially since I was taught from the start to use rudder for a bunch of stuff. The 300 is very much like that so I have been zooming figure 8's and stuff pretty good.
I hope to get through the 300 setup today or tomorrow and might start some hovering stuff outside if the weather cooperates. No big rush though because it is beautiful so I can stand aroun d i and look cool for a while first while I get some stick time on the sim.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:13 PM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
572 Posts
Was out flying mine earlier today, getting used to it now, circuits, nose in hovering, pirouettes and stall turns (are they called stall turns with Helis) etc. might have to go to stunt mode soon.....................................

This heli has brought my heli flying on in leaps and bounds (touch wood!)
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
451 Posts
taking it slow

I have been putting in time on the sim flying the 300 X and am amking progeess on that, flying my other helos in the mean time. I am going to go through the bind and setup on my 300 tomorrow and maybe do some hovering or slow-slow stuff to see if the back trims are in the ballpark.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
262 Posts
great info guys thank you. The count down to my ordering is on..
T-7 weeks.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:30 PM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
572 Posts
Quote:
I have been putting in time on the sim flying the 300 X and am amking progeess on that, flying my other helos in the mean time. I am going to go through the bind and setup on my 300 tomorrow and maybe do some hovering or slow-slow stuff to see if the back trims are in the ballpark.
Although not mentioned in the manual I set up some low rates (approx 75%) with some expo and use these while I'm getting the feel of the heli.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Jan 2013
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Although not mentioned in the manual I set up some low rates (approx 75%) with some expo and use these while I'm getting the feel of the heli.
I get the dual rates but what is Expo?
Also, I was going to get or make a set of the stick and ball cheater langing gear for the first few hover attempts but while looking at some I noticed a note that said they were not meant for use on a flybarless helo. I for the life of me can't see why you can use them on flybar machines but not flybarless. Am I missing something?
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:29 PM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
572 Posts
Expo is exponential, basically softens the response around centre stick and gives progressively more movement, reduces the sensitivity around the neutral point.

Re the stick and ball cheater, on a flybarless heli the electronic controller makes it stable, if you tell it bank right it will bank right regardless of whether there is a wide undercarriage or not, the further you push the stick over the quicker it will go. With a flybar the stability is mechanical rather than electronic. Must admit to put my 300x in the hover you just advance the throttle and avoid adding any other control. Also with the flybarless controller it is very important that all your trims are centered.the controller will then adjust the controls the keep the heli in its current attitude until you tell it different, hence if you have a training undercarriage on and you put in a dab of right and the wide undercarriage stops it from leaning right it will apply more right until it gives you what you asked for.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:25 AM
Joined Jan 2013
451 Posts
I been flying my 300X

I finally got up the nerve (and sim time) to take my new 300X out in the 30-some-degree yard and get it up in a hover. steady as a rock even with a 10-12 mph crosswind, moved it aroujnd the yard sideway, front, back etc, nice and smooth everywhere. Might have to add a touch of expo in the DR to smooth me out on the controls for a while.
I did get brave and tried a pedal turn and it got moving towards a tree sort of backwards so I checkened out and chopped the throttle. the blade clipped the tree a few times, frayed the ends a tad and tore the Monokote but I taped them up (for now) and took it back up, all is fine.

I love it! way more stable than I thought judging by how it flies in Phoenix.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:12 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
I finally got up the nerve (and sim time) to take my new 300X out in the 30-some-degree yard and get it up in a hover. steady as a rock even with a 10-12 mph crosswind, moved it aroujnd the yard sideway, front, back etc, nice and smooth everywhere. Might have to add a touch of expo in the DR to smooth me out on the controls for a while.
I did get brave and tried a pedal turn and it got moving towards a tree sort of backwards so I checkened out and chopped the throttle. the blade clipped the tree a few times, frayed the ends a tad and tore the Monokote but I taped them up (for now) and took it back up, all is fine.

I love it! way more stable than I thought judging by how it flies in Phoenix.
number 1 secret of the pros
EXPO
no shame in using some i use around 20 % on my helis
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:57 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
number 1 secret of the pros
EXPO
no shame in using some i use around 20 % on my helis
I agree. I use whatever DR and Expo necessary to make my heli's fly to my liking.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs