HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:50 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thintz View Post
Any estimates on what kind of wind a helo like the 300 X should handle decently?
The correct answer to this is: as much as you are comfortable with.

I'll fly in strong winds because I am comfortable doing so. The windier it is, the slower the heli will fly upwind, but once you turn downwind you had better hold on to the sticks!
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:59 PM
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post

I'll fly in strong winds because I am comfortable doing so. The windier it is, the slower the heli will fly upwind, but once you turn downwind you had better hold on to the sticks!
I get that "downwind bullet" effect with the 120X also which has been teaching me to do quick pedal turns and then lots of throttle to keep from bashing the tree at the end of the yard.

Am I correct assuming that a larger, more powerful helo like the 300 X will handle more wind easier than the 120 SR? I can fly in easily felt winds with the 120 SR but do have to play with throttle as it like to "balloon" into the wind if it deoesn;lt have a bunch of foward speed.
thintz is offline Find More Posts by thintz
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:07 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post

I also fly in wind. I just fly higher .
J_skaggs is online now Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
I get that "downwind bullet" effect with the 120X also which has been teaching me to do quick pedal turns and then lots of throttle to keep from bashing the tree at the end of the yard.

Am I correct assuming that a larger, more powerful helo like the 300 X will handle more wind easier than the 120 SR? I can fly in easily felt winds with the 120 SR but do have to play with throttle as it like to "balloon" into the wind if it deoesn;lt have a bunch of foward speed.
You'll still get the same ballooning effect, but the 300 X shouldn't bounce in the air quite as much as the 130 X.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:36 AM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
259 Posts
Late April one of these bad boy's is in my hanger.
Rich Knapp is online now Find More Posts by Rich Knapp
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joined Jul 2012
259 Posts
Quote:
Well your looking at a FB/FP 4ch (120SR) vrs. a BL/CP FBL, almost double the size heli (300x). Any same size or bigger CP will handle wind way better than the 120SR. Heck my little mCPx-v2 handle wind better than my 120SR. lol
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Well your looking at a FB/FP 4ch (120SR) vrs. a BL/CP FBL, almost double the size heli (300x). Any same size or bigger CP will handle wind way better than the 120SR. Heck my little mCPx-v2 handle wind better than my 120SR. lol
Quit it! I'll buy one today if you don;t stop!
I'll also need a good simulator to get some stick time in before tunring the 300X loose int he air. I have a Spekrtum dx6i TX
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:59 AM
Joined Jul 2012
259 Posts
Quote:
Quit it! I'll buy one today if you don;t stop!
I'll also need a good simulator to get some stick time in before tunring the 300X loose int he air. I have a Spekrtum dx6i TX
lol I'd have one now but I'm also a pro drug free wheelchair bodybuilder and have a show in April and have to save $ for the trip to Ohio.

BUT post show Boo Yaaa.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
It's all you guys fault!

Just ordered my Blade 300 X BNF, Phoenix sim, extra battery, a good charger and put the local hobbytown on standby for parts.
Remember the Godfather movie when Vito said, "I am going to blame some people in this room....." well, you get the idea. I came in here strictly seeking info and you guys "forced" me to jump. The owner at HobbyTown always gets happy when he sees or hears me, that's a good thing right?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:58 AM
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
Is there a place that has good videos showing the stick movements used while flying a 3D helo? I want to spend enough time on the simulator to minimize the crashing but knowing more abiout how the sticks are moved to do things would be a leg up on that process.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:27 AM
Joined Jul 2012
259 Posts
Sim is far from real world but a super great help with oreantation and learning the basics. You suck. lol I have to wait a few weeks yet to order mine.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:36 AM
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Sim is far from real world but a super great help with oreantation and learning the basics. You suck. lol I have to wait a few weeks yet to order mine.
The "I suck" part has been a theme with me the last several hours. My 300 will get here today and I keep looking at the dowels and wiffle golf balls I have. I am thinking that despite having the sim, I am going to make some saftey gear to help get my feet wet without really crunching the new helo. That way after I get it set up maybe I can do some hovering around the yard or garage or something while I get some basics on the sim.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined Jul 2012
259 Posts
Quote:
The "I suck" part has been a theme with me the last several hours. My 300 will get here today and I keep looking at the dowels and wiffle golf balls I have. I am thinking that despite having the sim, I am going to make some saftey gear to help get my feet wet without really crunching the new helo. That way after I get it set up maybe I can do some hovering around the yard or garage or something while I get some basics on the sim.
Ya its a big step up from tail motor driven birds. I plan on taking my time and do 2 days of set up electronics, learn bird mechanics, ballance blades, motor lock-tight mod and servo shim mod and get any vibs out of it.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:58 AM
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
in the wind

I was able to get out with the 120 SR this morning in a little wind and was getting the hang of the "bullet" downwind thing when doing figure 8's in the yard.
I am feeling better with the 120 but know to take it slow with the 300 when I do take it out. Until then lots of following the instruction book, checking setups and time on the sim.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:05 AM
Joined Jul 2012
259 Posts
Quote:
I was able to get out with the 120 SR this morning in a little wind and was getting the hang of the "bullet" downwind thing when doing figure 8's in the yard.
I am feeling better with the 120 but know to take it slow with the 300 when I do take it out. Until then lots of following the instruction book, checking setups and time on the sim.
I'm selling my MSR and 120SR now. Just isn't the same since I went CP and got my Nano for in the house. (Used to fly my MSR and my 120SR in house)
Put the money toward 300X parts starter stock.