SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
154 Posts
Oh man that's funny!! Thanks for the tip Doug

umm... Paul, what can I interest you with?
Huang is offline Find More Posts by Huang
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:44 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,107 Posts
IM Products Flap Aileron Assembly

Hey Matt, I donít know but here is some info and pics of it.

Name: IM Products Flap Aileron Horn Assembly 1.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 126.8 KB
Description: Name: HPIM3412.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 305.5 KB
Description: IM Products Flap Aileron Horn Assembly 2 Name: HPIM3414.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 302.4 KB
Description: IM Products Flap Aileron Horn Assembly 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huang View Post

umm... Paul, what can I interest you with?
Pitstop000 is offline Find More Posts by Pitstop000
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JR 28X / JRís Flagship Radio!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:01 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,848 Posts
Matt,

I'd stick with your non-torque aileron setup. Enlarge the existing hole for side mounted servos on plates. This keeps the panels a little cleaner. If you want to be very elegant, you can recess the plates and cap them with balsa to follow airfoil contour.

The flap servo can then be a simple center wing torque rod setup.

My 2c,

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:50 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
154 Posts
Thanks Paul for the photos! Yup, those exactly what I was talking about... sweet
I didn't even know IM made these!

David is right it is indeed easier to setup dual ailerons. I'll look over the Atlanta again when I get a chance and let you guys know what I'll do!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:18 AM
AMA MEMBER
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2010
392 Posts
Got atlanta?

$285.00 for a fresh one. plan, cores ready to build.
frequentflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by frequentflyer1
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:39 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
Huang,
I am with David, with the weight of the late model thin servos, just panel mount em all.

In the last 2 atalanta's I ditched the mounting plates and glued em in under the sheeting. I started adding up the weight of the hatch and screws, then committed. Best decision yet. There should be some pics of the blue/ green one I painted last year somewhere on the board.

If you decide to have flaps...... just couple the ailerons.
Kevin2035 is offline Find More Posts by Kevin2035
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:39 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
154 Posts
Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes I was thinking the same for the aileron servos. What do you use to glue the servos? I've used goop in composite/foam sailplane wings with good results, wonder if that will work here.

Also what do you mean couple the ailerons? As in making the flaps move with ailerons for roll, or do you mean the other way around?

Matt
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:37 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
I know its controversial but I just dab a blob of epoxy with a little micro ballons to either side and glue em in. I do, do a killer job of cutting them in so there is no slop.
When I count back to all of the times I have had to change a wing servo, i guess I dont just fly enough. If I had to service it I would just hatch it at that point.

In my opinion flaps are dumb, the less gaps and surgery you have to do to the wing the better it will fly. The other dillema is that when you have flaps its tough to get the trailing edge to register center. (i.e... you have 4 surfaces to center instead of 2)

If you want to try them out , just rig the radio to droop the ailerons, aerodynamicly its the same. Paul has the right idea.
Fullscale uses a fowler configuration which chages the game but flaps on a pattern plane especially on a Atlanta dont make sense for me.

Light is light, is you can take an ounce out of it here and there.... that will pay when it comes to low speed, nose high handling.

The Atlanta is clean slippery bird, I finished scratch cutting a new wing for my freinds Atlanta. I grew the airlerons to 1 1/4" and kept em way outboard. I started the airleron some 8" from the center, about 2" out farther than stock. The result was the center of the wing is very clean and straight. Also these planes only need 7 to 10 degrees of deflection so when you bevel the hinge line take that into consideration. This will lessen the drag at the hingepoint.

I have worked up a new tequniqe of sheeting wings without a leading edge stock. David Oxilla should be up on this as well. I think this is weight and time saving idea that we should have been doing 10 years ago.

Kg
Last edited by Kevin2035; Nov 11, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
found some pics
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:52 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
more pics
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:17 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
a couple more
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:25 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
found some more
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:27 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
I am sure people will wonder why this project is so ass backward on sequence. Originally I got parts from the owner, "just to paint".
1 part at a time......
Ya that story always works until "All" the parts are all in one room.
First the cores didnt match after the owner sheeted em ( heard this story before David ?)
, then the elevators were warped..... then I had to fit them to the already painted fuse, then I loaned the fuse out so it could be used as a plug for mold. I literally have built 3 atlanta's on this one build.

With my deep affection for planes with belly pans (....NOT...) someday it will fly.... It is pretty though !

I wish I had pics of the control horn install..... whew.....
Last edited by Kevin2035; Nov 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:16 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
154 Posts
Wow, Kevin, thanks for all the photos!! That Kawasaki green fuse really pops, I'd love to see the completed paint job. A very modern scheme on a rare classic! Should be very special.

On flaps, I am not a big fan either. The only classic pattern plane I've had the flaps on are on the Arrow 60, they are tiny and frankly do not do much (it has only flaps, no spoilers). It lands perfectly fine without flaps, and so does all others like the Phoenix 7 and such. Functionally there's no need for them.

The separate flaps/spoilers just are a bit of cool factor and reproduce period correct planes, at expense of weight and trim drift. The flaps center dead on for my Arrow so no trim drift but certainly adds more weight.

For the Atlanta, it appears that the original owner decided to make an effort to lengthen the flaps (hence shortened the ailerons). I am thinking to replace the entire aileron stock to begin with (found slightly warp on of them), so I might just drop the flaps all together as you suggest.

Will you paint the wings to match the fuse? I hope to paint the fuse on mine but debating on film for the wings to save weight. I'd prefer to paint the whole thing, but may end up heavier than I'd like if not careful with the paint...

Really nice to see your build Kevin - a master at work!
Matt
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:25 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
Yep its Kawi green.... tryn to mix it up a little bit. Its also all cut from a computer... no making tape !

Yes all paint once done....

Thx for the compliments.