SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:42 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,316 Posts
Discussion
Atlanta for Sale

Just bumped into this over in the classified under Electrics. This guys was responding to someone who wanted a 2M pattern plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...76&postcount=2

Thought one of my classic buddies may be interested.

Doug
Fatherof4 is online now Find More Posts by Fatherof4
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:22 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
486 Posts
I'm thinkinabout pickin' up an Atlanta sometime around mid Nov. Somewhere near Lancaster...
edh13 is online now Find More Posts by edh13
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:57 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Joined May 2006
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh13 View Post
I'm thinkinabout pickin' up an Atlanta sometime around mid Nov. Somewhere near Lancaster...
You are so funny....You never know....If I decide to sell, you will be my first call.

Doug
Last edited by Fatherof4; Oct 04, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:23 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Oct 2009
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherof4 View Post
You are so funny....You never know....If I decide to sell, you will be my first call.

Doug
Man, that is one sexy airplane, always loved the Atlanta. Did you build that yourself? Kudos if so.
cannondale1974 is offline Find More Posts by cannondale1974
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:32 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Joined May 2006
1,316 Posts
Yes. In about 1984-5. I competed in Sportsman and then Advanced with it here in So Cal until 1988 when I got married and started having kids. It was painted by Kevin2035 way back then with my paint scheme. The paint screams "1980's" to me now, but that is part of the nostalgia.

It lived comfortably in my garage rafters since then until 2011 when I caught the Classic Pattern bug and got it flying again.

Thanks for the kind words.

BTW, I have been following your Mach One thread and when I lost my XLT in 1986 I barrowed a Mach One to compete with until my Atlanta was finished. It was heavy but it kept me in the Sportsman mix.

Doug
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:34 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
Have I ever advertised my Love hate of Atlanta's ?...... 1000 flogs to the guy who invented the term "belly pan"..... and a steak dinner to the guy who invented bondo to make em fit !
Kevin2035 is online now Find More Posts by Kevin2035
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:52 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,345 Posts
So,
I wonder who bought that Atlanta?
Chris...
stuntflyr is online now Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:18 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,876 Posts
I bought a Conquest kit from Neil a few years ago. I suppose it will have to be built one day...

Good stuff!

David
doxilia is online now Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:38 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Joined May 2006
1,316 Posts
Eric made a PM offer but told me he was too late. So its new owner is a mystery.

I hope somebody who really appreciates Classics gets it and let's us watch it get built!

Doug
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
486 Posts
I offered $375 and made sure he knew it was going to be a builder not a dust collector. But I guess I was too late.
Eric
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:01 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,345 Posts
Me too.
Chris...
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
486 Posts
But... I recently found second NIB YS45 and two 3 blade spinners for my other bucket list project so I'm not too sad.

I also found a TF Kittiwake that I've wanted ever since I saw it in a magazine when they first came out. I don't know why. There isn't any water near here. I always thought they were cool.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:26 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
Me too.
Chris...
Wait a minute...... Hmmm
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:47 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,345 Posts
No Eric,
it was gone already when I contacted him!
Chris...
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:31 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
158 Posts
Hi guys,

I was the one that bought the Atlanta from Neil. Sorry most guys don't know me because I don't post much, but I'm a true classic pattern fan and have been following all of your wonderful posts in the RCG/RCU forums for the past 15+ years. Some of you know me from buying up the YS short strokes from the group. Now you know where it's going! No worries this one will get well loved, preserved and built.

I had been looking for the Aurora (my favorite plane) when I came across the Atlanta. I always thought Atlanta was the prettiest pattern plane of that era, and always suspected it was a Naruke design. It came just after Naruke released the Aurora, the fuse and wing form, the tricycle gear, inverted engine and enclosed pipe setup was strikingly similar. It definitely did not look like an Akiba or Suzuki design of the time (the Beetle from Akiba came later). A leading design like this for that time couldn't have come out of no where. For some reason Zigsaw never published the designer, maybe an arrangement with Naruke (or Naruke had an exclusive arrangement with MK?). Anyone know?

Doug I was also the one that bought that MK Arrow 60 that was posted here a couple months back. And Chris you are right the first thing that went out the plane was that Master Airscrew paint stick! The Arrow got its due refresh with all updated servos, Supra retracts, and will get a new YS-60FR on MK soft mount with matching Hatori pipe. It flew great with the OS-61RF long stroke from prior owner but just does not have the thrill of the short strokes. Although quiet, the pipe deck was too short to allow the long stroke to come on proper tune...

My time is quite limited due to work but hopefully will get the Atlanta built. Anyone know of good builders that can build the Atlanta right true classic style? Maybe I can tempt Kevin to build one again? That Atlanta you have Doug was all the inspiration...

Matt
Huang is offline Find More Posts by Huang
RCG Plus Member