762 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
London, England
Joined Apr 2007
206 Posts
Your FW190 is a beaut! Any chance that you might develop one with a full (not profile) fuselage in the future? If so I'm in. The micro flyer world is crying out for axis WW2 fighters.
pilatus mike is online now Find More Posts by pilatus mike
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:26 PM View Post
jowiejooijdofig
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:21 AM
Joined Sep 2012
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilatus mike View Post
Your FW190 is a beaut! Any chance that you might develop one with a full (not profile) fuselage in the future? If so I'm in. The micro flyer world is crying out for axis WW2 fighters.
Now there's a question I'd love to answer but is entirely dependent on the success of Microaces now and in the future.

There are a lot of technologies in their infancy at the moment that could make the process of building a highly detailed, wonderfully illustrated and very tough micro kit, a reality. Technologies such as 3D printing of plastics, 3 dimensional ink printing processes and Depron moulding.

Most of them are still too slow, expensive or not quite there yet to make it affordable and practical for this type of application but the technologies are getting better every month of every year so it won't be too long I'm sure until it becomes affordable.

I started my journey into micro scale RC with experiments in moulding Depron and other materials but to get it to a point where it was affordable for a retailable product would have required investment of a magnitude that just wasnt practical for a small start up business.

However if we are able to build Microaces into a viable business through healthy and growing sales, this is one of the routes I would passionately follow!

I've uploaded some an example of what can be done with Depron moulding. The subject is a Sopwith Camel.

Jon
MICROACES is offline Find More Posts by MICROACES
Last edited by MICROACES; Dec 27, 2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:15 PM View Post
sdfkwhiuhsdfi
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:08 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,098 Posts
Ralph,

In case you haven't heard it enough - your review is one of the best written, most comprehensive, and balanced I've read. Thanks much for the substantial effort!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Last edited by speedy01; Jan 05, 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:17 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Ralph,

In case you haven't heard it enough - your review is one of the best written, most comprehensive, and balanced I've read. Thanks much fro the substantial effort!

Gene K
Gene, that's one of the kindest things I've ever read. Thank you very much.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:52 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
762 Posts
I have been flying my FW190 a bit and it flies really well but requires an attentive pilot. I figured out that each time I power up to fly I have to go thru a ritual:
1. Plug in, beeping starts
2. Move throttle to full, beeping continues
3. close throttle, beeping stops
4. Move to 1/2 throttle or so, wait a sec, hear musical beeping then silence
5. Close throttle, motor is now armed and responds to throttle normally
6. Don't ask how I figured this out! LOL
I am not happy with he flight time though, I am lucky to get 2 minutes at medium throttle use before it shuts down, a quick cycle of the throttle stick will bring it back but only for a few seconds and the FW190 is no glider...
I may replace the ESC just for this reason, either the low voltage cutoff is set much too high or this is a very inefficient setup!
The stock power system can just about do a loop, a dive to build up speed doesn't do too much as the drag is so high. Note that I mostly fly with the gear on as it is the coolest looking little plane you ever saw on flyby. It is a great roller though. Takeoffs and landings are a breeze and look cool but you carry power onto the ground on landing.
I am looking forward to buying another but maybe the manufacturer should consider another ESC? Or perhaps I am alone with these issues, that is not uncommon with some of the Chinese sourced electronics, there can be a great variation in how they work, or don't work.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Sep 2012
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post
I have been flying my FW190 a bit and it flies really well but requires an attentive pilot. I figured out that each time I power up to fly I have to go thru a ritual:
1. Plug in, beeping starts
2. Move throttle to full, beeping continues
3. close throttle, beeping stops
4. Move to 1/2 throttle or so, wait a sec, hear musical beeping then silence
5. Close throttle, motor is now armed and responds to throttle normally
6. Don't ask how I figured this out! LOL
I am not happy with he flight time though, I am lucky to get 2 minutes at medium throttle use before it shuts down, a quick cycle of the throttle stick will bring it back but only for a few seconds and the FW190 is no glider...
I may replace the ESC just for this reason, either the low voltage cutoff is set much too high or this is a very inefficient setup!
The stock power system can just about do a loop, a dive to build up speed doesn't do too much as the drag is so high. Note that I mostly fly with the gear on as it is the coolest looking little plane you ever saw on flyby. It is a great roller though. Takeoffs and landings are a breeze and look cool but you carry power onto the ground on landing.
I am looking forward to buying another but maybe the manufacturer should consider another ESC? Or perhaps I am alone with these issues, that is not uncommon with some of the Chinese sourced electronics, there can be a great variation in how they work, or don't work.
Hi Husafreak,

Those short flight times point to an issue. With a 300mAh fully charged you should be getting at least 5-6 mins of flight time. And the Fw190 will loop big with that motor/ESC combo. Looks like your not getting full power for one reason or another.

Also the ritual you have to go thru at start-up would also suggest something is amiss. Could you check a few things for me:

Firstly is the motor can rubbing on the backplate? you can test this by turning the prop with a finger. You should be able to detect any rubbing resistance as opposed to just the magnetic resistance.

Also let me know what battery are you using? Do you have several batteries that require the same ritual on startup?

If I think of anything else I'll post or PM you. Either way we'll get to the bottom of the issue!

Jon
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Oct 2004
762 Posts
Thanks Jon, I thought something might be up. So far the only batteries I have used are a pair of the Microaces 300 mAh packs I got from you with my 2 kits. They both give the same results. The motor spins free, a flip of the prop gets 3 or more revolutions. Unfortunately I did not get your ESC and Motor for the second FW190 kit so I can"t swap out the ESC. I do have a CC Pheonix 10 ESC lying around I can try. So I just went out and did a test run, I got just over 9000 rpm. But the ESC is not strong, it makes a wavering sound and varies from 8700 to 9200 with even tiny adjustments to the throttle stick (could be my tach is having trouble as it is getting late in the day). But the wavering power is a constant with this ESC, I tried all sorts of different throttle endponts in my JR 9303 Tx trying to get consistent runs but no luck, right now I am at 100/100 but as an example in my little test run just now the motor actually quit at full throttle the first time, but when I cycled the stick it came back up and I was able to get the rpm readings. Please feel free to contact me via PM as obviously we have either a poor Tx setup on my part or a defective ESC, one with a bit of an "attitude" ! It is no longer something fun to discuss on this thread!
By the way I gave the second FW190 kit to a fellow named Tony Naccarato who is a legend in the SoCal AMA model aviation scene and a long time pioneer in small size modelling while managing his own hobby shop in Burbank, it was the best hobby shop I ever saw Anyway I was gushing to him at the Smith Brothers' Hobby Center booth (where he works now) about your kit at the AMA convention a few weeks ago and I just felt he had to have one, so I gave him mine. So that is how cool these little kits are. Good on ya!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joined Oct 2004
762 Posts
I think the molded Depron planes would be awesome but very different from what you are doing now. The cool thing about the current flat fighters is that the process of building one is fun and it is a craft, a hobby, with the great bonus of a nice flying and tough little machine in the end. You can build it on the kitchen table or a small desk and no one would notice, if you clean up after... The stickers give a kind of optical illusion that is fascinating to everyone in their realism. So very cool and unique.
But a molded foam shape would require painting by the builder. Hundreds of tiny decals applied. Fine but very different! Spray painting in the house and you need all those paints, masking, etc. If the molded planes came prepainted then it's not very crafty anymore. A nice idea but just very different. Anyone interested should really try the planes available now, anyone with some building skills and an eye for detail will get a big kick out of these existing aircraft kits.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:10 AM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
661 Posts
pretty nice plane but I just wish it were full-fuselaged. Never liked profile planes. The old cox warbirds were much nicer.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:45 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,853 Posts
Maidened my Black 8 today, flew really well! I took off from ground the first flight and it lifted off very smooth and scale like, then I promptly over corrected a roll and went into some weeds. No damage whatsoever, as expected. Wind was at least 5mph, gusting to 8 probably. It felt slightly nose heavy also so I moved the battery back slightly and took off a second time with gear and did a couple circuits. Flew nicely but wasn't as fast as I desired and could barely loop from level flight.
Off came the gear and tank and performance was improved. Also it became much less nose heavy, wanting to climb really strong on a hand launch, and nearly rock solid in roll. I'm using a DX4e and using the built in 10% expo. The ailerons do have a lot of throw which make for a fun roll rate, yet manages not to be twitchy as long as you are careful with your thumb. I flew on low rates most of the time, which I think is 85% on the DX4e? Doesn't effect elevator or rudder much but makes it harder to overcontrol on roll. Did I mention it rolls fast (as it should). I think I will be flying without gear and tank most of the time because it is definitely faster without them. Of course these are brand new batteries so hopefully they will start providing slightly more power with use. I flew for about 5-6 minutes and the one battery I charged back up to full took about 165mah back. That was flying full throttle at least 50% of the time too.
Anyone know if these batteries are safe to charge at say 2 or 3c? Also, is there any need to calibrate the throttle channel between radio and ESC or is it automatically correct from the factory? I noticed that if I have my trim even one notch above center on the radio when the ESC boots up, it will start slowly spinning the motor immediately despite the throttle being closed. Had to move my trim down a notch and unplug and replug the battery to ESC to avoid that.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Last edited by seeingeyegod; Mar 01, 2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Sep 2012
437 Posts
Hi seeingeyegod,

glad the maiden went well. The undercarriage and tank certainly slows things down and pull the nose down too. I tend to trim 2 clicks up on the elevator when I stick the undercarriage on.

I took my Black 8 out for a spin today. After doing a good deal of biplane testing I wasn't ready for the difference in responsiveness and spent the first 15 seconds or so waggling my way across the park. Got it all under control in the end.

As for the batteries it is recommended to charge at 1C only. I haven't experimented with any other setting so couldn't how they behave at higher rates.

Jon
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:26 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,853 Posts
Thanks Jon! You rock! Everyone at the field was impressed with the way she flew. I will continue to charge these at 1C then... not like it takes that long since they are small
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod