HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:08 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Rough up the sides of the magnets that are meant to be glued, and let the epoxy cure fully next time. I place wax paper between the wing halves to prevent them getting glued together, and let the magents cure with the wings in place.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:24 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIDAY_2008 View Post
Weasel arrived well packaged and intact.

Started already the build. I used the magnet way, but after epoxying magnets in and let the glue dried for over an hour, I assembled the wings for a test fit, but while I was trying to put them apart from the fuse, magnets were unglued.

Any tips, or should I go for the one piece design ?

Thanks
I usually put a piece of fibertape over the magnet.
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:49 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away View Post
I usually put a piece of fibertape over the magnet.
You cut it in such a tiny bit, or you just put a stripe of fibertape ?

Over the magnet and then glue it in place or glue magnet and then fibertape it ?

:what:
FRIDAY_2008 is online now Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:49 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,821 Posts
I scuffed up the magnets and Gooped them in. Works great. I do tape the wing a few inches near the LE when flying in groups, since contact is more common.

Dawson
dawsonh is online now Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:38 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIDAY_2008 View Post
You cut it in such a tiny bit, or you just put a stripe of fibertape ?

Over the magnet and then glue it in place or glue magnet and then fibertape it ?

:what:
Rough sand the magnet, glue in place with a blob of thick ca, let cure, cover with a small piece of fibertape.
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:21 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
1,972 Posts
I rough the magnets then use hot glue....haven't had one pull out yet.

(except the ones I had to pull out, because I glued them in backwards :-)
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:26 PM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by george@dream-flight View Post
Hello everyone-
The Black weasels are sold out.
Enjoy them!
George
Glad I have mine sitting NIB ready to build.... Not even opened
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:59 PM
United States, NY, Jamestown
Joined Dec 2004
256 Posts
Paint Question

Just got one of the last Black Weasels.

Have seen some nicely decorated ones and would like to paint mine up. Likely leave the bottom black for visibility, but want to make the upper area more visible. Any suggestions on what type of paint to use, or cover?

Also, (havent read the manual yet), is there an advantage other than mobility to use the magnets for the wings, or is it better just to glue them permanently.

One more. I used two carbon fiber spars on my Alula to help keep the nose on after a few crashes resulting in it shearing off. I think will do the same for the Weasel. Suggestions?

Thank you
galognu is offline Find More Posts by galognu
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:36 PM
a.k.a Spec Master
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Jun 2012
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galognu View Post

Have seen some nicely decorated ones and would like to paint mine up. Likely leave the bottom black for visibility, but want to make the upper area more visible. Any suggestions on what type of paint to use, or cover?

Also, (havent read the manual yet), is there an advantage other than mobility to use the magnets for the wings, or is it better just to glue them permanently.

One more. I used two carbon fiber spars on my Alula to help keep the nose on after a few crashes resulting in it shearing off. I think will do the same for the Weasel. Suggestions?

Thank you
I inserted 2 carbon rods about 3-4" long in my Alula, one on either side of the nose. I've had hard nose landings and no damage so far.
tinkering is offline Find More Posts by tinkering
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:44 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galognu View Post

Thank you
Since you have it, I would suggest you read it, as it clearly states, what paint you could use

If you glue the wings, permanently, the only place to put ballast, for windier days, would be in the belly finger hole. If not, you could just substitute the carbon rod with a steel one

Others with more experience, may suggest more, as, I just now built my first ever Weasel.

Hope it helped
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:19 PM
Auger up & out, not down & in!
United States, ID, Lewiston
Joined Apr 2011
51 Posts
Another way to go is to use some UltraCote, spray a little 3M 77 on the wings to help adhesion. I did this to the top of the wings in flourecent green and just used clear packing tape on the bottoms. A lot lighter than paint, in fact my weasel came out ready to fly at 11.89 oz. Plenty of color, Tom.
IDOF3K is offline Find More Posts by IDOF3K
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:15 AM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Is this normal ? I used hot glue to install magnets and fiber tape above them, but when wings are joined then I get this gap, making the elevons difficult to allign correctly.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:14 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
905 Posts
I have an EPO weasel and my wings are the same, however I just taped mine. Mine do not line up perfectly ether. I pushed them together and just taped them. Works great.

I do not have the black EPP weasel though. Hope this helps.
Diceman89 is offline Find More Posts by Diceman89
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My used Voltij purchase!! :)
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:57 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2001
224 Posts
How many of you cover the wings with tape or other covering? I didn't cover my first Weasel and haven't had any problems yet. I trying to decide whether it's worth my time covering my new black EPP version, if for no other reason than to make it more visible at the slope.
wjjones is offline Find More Posts by wjjones
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:16 AM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
905 Posts
Never covered mine, just painted it with Krylon spray paint. Worked great, it does eventually, when hit or scraped on the ground, will start coming off, but has worked for years. I scuffed up the surface with some sandpaper first. I don't have the EPP version though.
Diceman89 is offline Find More Posts by Diceman89
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My used Voltij purchase!! :)