Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:19 AM
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
Discussion
A new .61 low engine.

I am looking for a new .61 glow engine. It will replace my Enya .61 that I just destroyed. I am on a very strict budget and can't afford a new Enya or a OS. $175.00 is max I can dish out. Please give me some input on a good sport flying engine.
weswanson is offline Find More Posts by weswanson
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:45 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,747 Posts
The top end of your range would be a Thunder Tiger Pro 61 at $170 from Tower, minus the usual discounts of course. An OS 65AX or 75AX is only $30 more, so that's your call.

Your other options would be a Super Tigre 61 at $120, Magnum 61 at $105, an ASP 61 from HobbyKing for $60 plus $22 shipping.

Which Enya 61 did you destroy? I have a couple older Enya parts engines.
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:55 PM
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
I was looking it a K&B .61 twister $110.00. Anyone have one or two they would like to comment on?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:57 PM
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
The Enya was a cx. I bent the crank and flattened the carb and cracked the case.
Almost $300.00 to replace. No thank you.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, MI, Tuscola
Joined Oct 2006
43 Posts
Hello there,
I have a couple of the K&B .61 Twisters. Depending on the plane you have them in, you better hang on. Real screamers and ran great right out of the box. At this point in time, I'm very pleased with them and they were a good value in my oinion. Unless I'm way off on this, it feels really good to support a USA made product.
Joel
Slavko is offline Find More Posts by Slavko
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:03 PM
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavko View Post
Hello there,
I have a couple of the K&B .61 Twisters. Depending on the plane you have them in, you better hang on. Real screamers and ran great right out of the box. At this point in time, I'm very pleased with them and they were a good value in my oinion. Unless I'm way off on this, it feels really good to support a USA made product.
Joel
Thank you for the reply. You didn't he ha around in your answer. I'm looking hard at this engine. I fly sport, any 3D is a no no right now. I don't really like 3D.
I wish Fox would trash there carbs and design one that worked. I won't chance getting a good running one.
I think I'll order a K@B twister. I need a pitts muffler and I can get one for this engine that is a bolt on not a strap on. I will tell you what I think of it soon. Thanks...

Walt
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:05 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Apr 2012
27 Posts
An OS 55 AX has more power than the Enya .61 for about $150. With K&B there is always a concern about parts. The original K&B company no longer exists.

Cheers,
1ruffdog is offline Find More Posts by 1ruffdog
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, FL, Destin
Joined Oct 2004
34 Posts
Tt gp 61

I've got a fairly new Thunder Tiger GP 61. I bought it advertised as a TT Pro 61 but when I got it, it said GP on the side. Anyway, I broke it in and put about a dozen flights on it and then got a deal on a GMS 76 so I swapped it out. It's a good strong engine and I'll let it go for $75 and I'll cover shipping. I'm kinda in the middle of a move right now but if ur interested I'll pull it out and run it on my test stand with vid for ya. Let me know....

Scotty
captscotty is offline Find More Posts by captscotty
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:16 PM
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
You know through the years, I've never needed parts other then a glow plug. The reason I shy away from OS is because there engines are bricks. My Enya was 1/3 lighter then a OS.61.
I feel that my Enya was a better engine. OS is an expensive engine.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:19 PM
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captscotty View Post
I've got a fairly new Thunder Tiger GP 61. I bought it advertised as a TT Pro 61 but when I got it, it said GP on the side. Anyway, I broke it in and put about a dozen flights on it and then got a deal on a GMS 76 so I swapped it out. It's a good strong engine and I'll let it go for $75 and I'll cover shipping. I'm kinda in the middle of a move right now but if ur interested I'll pull it out and run it on my test stand with vid for ya. Let me know....

Scotty
Thank you Scotty, but I'm going to pass on your offer. I am going for the K&B.

Walt
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:41 PM
TEAM BOCA
United States, IA, Muscatine
Joined Oct 2009
1,491 Posts
What is wrong with the OS65LA? It is a powerful engine.
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:46 AM
www.****enageair.org
Joined Mar 2006
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weswanson View Post
I am looking for a new .61 glow engine. It will replace my Enya .61 that I just destroyed. I am on a very strict budget and can't afford a new Enya or a OS. $175.00 is max I can dish out. Please give me some input on a good sport flying engine.
Wes,

I'm running as ASP 2 stroke .61 on Sig King Kobra from Hobby King. $59.95 plus about 20.00 shipping Runs fantastic!!!
us185damiani is offline Find More Posts by us185damiani
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:16 PM
TEAM BOCA
United States, IA, Muscatine
Joined Oct 2009
1,491 Posts
Try brucercengines.com he has a lot of good deals on new and used engines , I know for certain he tests every used engine and grades them accordingly. And he is a really good guy.
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:20 AM
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie8696 View Post
Try brucercengines.com he has a lot of good deals on new and used engines , I know for certain he tests every used engine and grades them accordingly. And he is a really good guy.
I will, thank you.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:45 AM
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
I ordered this K&B .61 engine and It took a good hour to break it in. I feel it runs as good as my OS .61. I didn't need to adjust the low end at all. Bottom line, I'll buy this engine again, It is very nice. Now to see how it operates in the air.
I ordered a pitts muffler and the Revolver from Tower. I will post more as I fly this set up.

Walt

PS. The cost was $123.00 shipped.