HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:36 AM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Discussion
New multistar ESCs line from HK just for multirotors. Quite a few problems so far

Relating to all the flaws that the switching bec has: From HK site by HK admin
Quote:
LVC is a feature that was left there because it seemed to add value. The customer has the choice and the product can be used on other R/C products if he so chooses. The option is at least there and cost nothing to include. These ESC's were supposed to arrive at the same time as the Opto versions and sold together. The idea was that the customer would get 3 Opto and 1 BEC for a quad. The two didn't hit the market at the same time and now it's looking like we think you should have 1 BEC on every ESC. FYI, disabling the the BEC is as simple as removing the red wire, however as these are entry level ESC's we see your point. FWIW, I fly with BEC's on every ESC with the KK board and have never had an issue.
Sounds like HK really made a great product this time. The prices are cheaper than turnigy plush, these are very easy to flash with another firmware (if you want to) and very high refresh rates even with the stock firmware. Just last night I was going through how to upgrade my ESCs with SimonK firmware. Since I'm really new to quads, I thought it probably would be worth it. I was going to be placing order on HK anyways today or tomorrow for 20 amp ESCs for my quad and for some motors. Hopefully they will come out with the opto version soon so these are worth it. Thoughts on these?

This is what HK says of them. I'm also liking their color choices
Quote:
This series of ESC's features a very smooth, linear throttle response, without sacrificing a rapid, crisp, response to any throttle input.
All Multistar ESC's feature an ATmega MCU that opens the door to customisable firmware - for those so inclined!
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Last edited by Koo; Oct 04, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:56 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,388 Posts
Yup, saw it this morning too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3kXtYGOCq0
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:59 AM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Programming cards are over rated. I get a great feeling of satisfaction after I program ESCs with throttle lol
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:01 AM
Israel
Joined Mar 2012
456 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Looks like it's a little heavier than the plush (16g vs 9g on the 10amp).
Perhaps we should strip some of these bulky connectors and compare..
gilcd85 is offline Find More Posts by gilcd85
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bixler FPV into the sunset
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:08 AM
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
Did you see timecop in the comments for the 30a?

Good stuff.
kauaicuda is offline Find More Posts by kauaicuda
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:25 AM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaicuda View Post

Good stuff.
Yep saw that...His voice is missed around here.
TheKnightFerrin is offline Find More Posts by TheKnightFerrin
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:32 AM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:

Good stuff.
Interesting. HK does pay the developer of KK boards a royalty for each board sold if they end up selling these pre-flashed, they would probably do the same thing. What is a switching bec exactly? I didn't completely understand what he was saying.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:40 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,591 Posts
+1 TC is missed here.
...and he is correct as usual. These "HK Multistar" 30A ESCs have switching BECs=fail because they must never be run in parallel. Neither is it wise to do so with linear BECs either due to extra heat on the ESCs and possible noise that is not good for multicopter FCBs. Only the 10A HK Multistar ESC has a liner BEC, while the others have switching BECs.

The next fail is the use of an LVC, especially if it can't be turned off. Multicopter ESCs should not have LVC as the result of them kicking on in a high throttle demand is usually a crash.

Hopefully HK will eventually get this right for multicopters, but they missed it this time. I do like the part that they say they will negotiate with Simonk so he gets some $'s for his nice efforts if they eventually use his proven multicopter ESC code.

I did not see any mention of being able to do throttle calibration either.

The high 480hz+ refresh/update rate and the stalled motor protection they did get right.

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:

Good stuff.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Oct 03, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,591 Posts
K,
Switching BECs are very efficient at regulating voltage. In this case to 5v from 3s and 4s, sometimes even 5s and 6s lipos. They tend to stay cooler than linear type Vregs. The main issues with them are they should never be run in parallel as they will eventually be damaged and they can potentially if not perfectly filtered, induce more noise into the sensitive flight controllers. In general is not a "Best practice" to run any ESC 5v lines in parallel anyway if you want maximum reliability for expensive builds. It does not matter much for sport flying using less expensive multicopters..

-Switching type Voltage Regulators or BECs 101

-Multicopter ESC BEC 5v wiring decisions 101
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post
Interesting. HK does pay the developer of KK boards a royalty for each board sold if they end up selling these pre-flashed, they would probably do the same thing. What is a switching bec exactly? I didn't completely understand what he was saying.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:38 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
HK missed their first opportunity to develop a true multirotor esc. This is a fail!
fallingdown is offline Find More Posts by fallingdown
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:01 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
K,
Switching BECs are very efficient at regulating voltage. In this case to 5v from 3s and 4s, sometimes even 5s and 6s lipos. They tend to stay cooler than linear type Vregs. The main issues with them are they should never be run in parallel as they will eventually be damaged and they can potentially if not perfectly filtered, induce more noise into the sensitive flight controllers. In general is not a "Best practice" to run any ESC 5v lines in parallel anyway if you want maximum reliability for expensive builds. It does not matter much for sport flying using less expensive multicopters..

-Switching type Voltage Regulators or BECs 101

-Multicopter ESC BEC 5v wiring decisions 101
Cheers,
Jim
If I would just remove the 5v wire or cut it from all but 1 ESCs, would these work fine then?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,591 Posts
K,
Yes that is what is recommended. Personally I release the pin from the connector by pressing down the silver tab, and then heat shrink or tape it back on the wire.

See --TIP 8
in the ESC section in the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post
If I would just remove the 5v wire or cut it from all but 1 ESCs, would these work fine then?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
K,
Yes that is what is recommended. Personally I release the pin from the connector by pressing down the silver tab, and then heat shrink or tape it back on the wire.

See --TIP 8

Cheers,
Jim
I read that with the KK2.0 board, power only comes from the first ESC so it is okay to have the power lines attached for all ESC connections? Is this true? Is the KK2.0 board the only FC that does this? I assume older FCs can get their power from any connection if the above change isn't made...
Porthos23 is offline Find More Posts by Porthos23
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:44 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Thank you. Do you think that the 20 amp HK ESC's, if flashed with SimonK firmware would be as good or a better option than these? I already have the flashing tool from er9x flashing and I am pretty confident I would be able to flash them pretty easily. The HK escs weight 30 grams but they are the old good linear bec.
Quote:
K,

See --TIP 8

Cheers,
Jim
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,591 Posts
Hi P,
There are amny different varieties of KK flgith controllers. To be sure just check the 5v pins with power off for continuity with each other using a digimeter. Yes there have been flight controllers that properly do not share the 5v ESC lines and only use one. Some like the MK do not use ESC BECs. Even the DJI ESCs are Opto and do not have a BEC. The UAVX only used one ESC to power the board. etc...
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthos23 View Post
I read that with the KK2.0 board, power only comes from the first ESC so it is okay to have the power lines attached for all ESC connections? Is this true? Is the KK2.0 board the only FC that does this? I assume older FCs can get their power from any connection if the above change isn't made...