HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2003, 06:44 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Here's the fuse and epennage slipped together. No glue yet , just great laser cutting and parts fit.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2003, 06:38 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Gorgeous stain job, Dave! What'd you end up using?

Progress looks mighty nice...

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Dec 13, 2003, 09:30 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Glenn,
Minwax Golden Oak stain. After things are together I'll give a gloss coat to even things out.
Dave
Old Dec 13, 2003, 09:34 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Here's a pic of the plane assemble. No glue yet just kind of stuck together. It took me a while to get the cabane struts right but finally about 1AM Sat morning I got things togther. I'm almost afraid to take it apart to finish things!
Dave
Old Dec 13, 2003, 09:35 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
One more.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 09:52 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
DII

Dave, what a superb build job!! Looks too pretty to cover up! I wonder if Kurt would be upset if you left it the way it is as a static model. Just Kidding!! What are you going to cover it with? Have you picked out a camo scheme? The one on the magazine cover behind the model shot looks super. Keep the pics coming. martys
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Dec 14, 2003, 09:11 AM
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Marty,
The DII's were operational before the wild color schemes associated with the Circuses. There was a two color scheme for the upper surfaces (redish brown and dark green) and a 3 color color scheme (redish brown, dark green and a lighter green). The under sides of the wings and tail are light blue. I think the varnished fuse is the real highlight of the plane. I still have a number of things to do yet-engine, LG fairings, covering (when I get it from the LHS), MG's, wheels, cockpit, then the rigging.
Thanks for the compliments guys, again I'm working with a geat design and great laser cutting.
Dave
Old Dec 15, 2003, 03:13 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,500 Posts
Dave,

Could you give us some details on the aileron linkages and hinging?

Looks really good.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:34 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Jim,
There will be a servo in each wing for the ailerons. The ailerons will be top hinged.

Here's the beginning of the engine. I'm sticking pretty much with what Kurt designed and supplied but I'm adding bits and pieces to give some more detail. The exhaust is still pretty rough, more sanding needed.
Dave
Old Dec 19, 2003, 11:37 PM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Nice build Dave. How many hours have you spent on thebuild so far? It's a pity we never get any kits like this over the UK.

Mark.
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas
Old Dec 20, 2003, 08:36 AM
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Mark,
I'm really not sure how many hours are into it. Its really prety simple. The caveat is that I'm photographing the build for Kurt's instruction manual. That slows things down and there are no instructions as this is a prototype kit, I'm helping with the instructions. Having built alot its pretty simple to figure out things and I've made a couple of very minor suggestions to Kurt about the design.. Once the manual is done this is really not a hard line of kits to build.
I'm sure you could mail order the kits from Kurt- AerodromeRC.com.
I finally got the covering (Coverlite) yesterday so I start some final sanding and covering soon. Then out with the airbrush to do the painting. BTW, right now with 2 servos mounted and the speed 400 w/Mini-Olympus GB and wheels the plane weighs approximately 9-10oz. I hope it doesn't suffer from the holiday weight gain syndrome.
Dave
Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:16 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Dave nice work so far. stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Dec 20, 2003, 02:53 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,285 Posts
Dave, lovely job on the Albatross. I have recently ordered a set of plans from Bengston for the same plane and can't wait to build one. Problem is, I have too many ahead of her in line to build. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see it finished. Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Dec 20, 2003, 04:54 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,606 Posts
Mark,
To say we never get kits like this in the UK is a bit strong. I realise it isn't an Albatros, but my own, pr-kits, now does an Eindecker kit, and more types are planned for the near future. We're at www.pr-kits.com

Sorry Kurt mate, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Dave,
As I said before, another great building job. How has Kurt arranged the spinner?

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Dec 20, 2003, 04:56 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,514 Posts
Greg,

I should clear the issue here since many others might also make the same assumption. This thread is for the Albatros DII. The model on AerodromeRC's workshop is the Albatros DIII. The fuse is the same in both models but the wings are considerably different. The DIII wings are like the Albatros DVa, sesquiplane in structure. As you can see the DII's wings are a true biplane.

Kurt
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson