SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:01 AM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,123 Posts
Discussion
Sketchup as Foamcutting Software

For some time now I have been working on a plugin allowing Sketchup to be used as a CAM program. I have two needs, mill and hotwire.

I have a basic interface built up to allow these operations to be used in one CNC sequence for my machine. We include the software with our machine, however it could be altered slightly to allow it to be used for other hotwire machines that run off of 4 axis driver cards that accept g-code.

Please take a look at this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1618001

I've posted a few videos here showing the different CAM operations from inside Sketchup.

Here is another video showing how to develop a hotwire path:
Sketchup as Hotware CAM Software, NCGen to gcode out (6 min 27 sec)

Is there any interest in making this software (NCGen) available to people who don't have our machine?
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:10 AM
tau
Joined Aug 2006
43 Posts
Quote:
Is there any interest in making this software (NCGen) available to people who don't have our machine?
You bet!
tau is offline Find More Posts by tau
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:20 PM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,362 Posts
I would be interested! I'm in the process of figuring out Sketchup and would like to be able to make parts directly as you describe.
BillO is online now Find More Posts by BillO
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:06 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,085 Posts
i would love such a plugin,but i don't have the cnc rig. Really love the play back of the gcode! enable guys to fix things before they cut,and with that said.

Now what would be the bees knees is

If you included a 6in boom arm on that rig. Then have the ability to setup different work stations all in the same gcode.

If we are using a 4"x4" block on a 36"x36" work surface i could see at list 4 pieces being cut one right after another.

Dabbled in C+, C++, Lua and python code myself.Mainly for PC Games.
Never checked into the Ruby Script language, so i wouldn't even know if its doable.
D_FAST is online now Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:00 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,123 Posts
NCGen is now available at FoamCasualty.com

Please have a look if you are interested!
Old Oct 21, 2013, 09:18 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,123 Posts
Made up a pilot, check it out here in this really nice thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=398