HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
Led

Hello, how is everyone? I was wondering if anyone knows if you can hook an led to Firebird Stratos and if so what kind ?
Thanks for your help.

Charles
Charles g is offline Find More Posts by Charles g
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:08 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,521 Posts
You can use pretty much any type and any number of bulbs you want as long as you ensure that they're adequately powered. There are a few ways to do it. I think the easiest way with the Stratos would be to make up a parallel harness that goes between the battery and the ESC and have your LEDs wired to that so they're powered directly off the battery. Since the Stratos has a 2S lipo, you'd be best off running parallel sets of two 3V bulbs in series with a resistor to cut the voltage down a little so you don't cook them. I've run a lot of single 3V-rated LEDs directly off 1S lipos and they've worked fine, but LEDs will vary so it's probably best to run an inline resistor to be sure they're not being stressed too much.

Their brightness would fluctuate slightly with changes in throttle position (due to pack voltage sag), so if that's not something you want then you could also run them off a BEC unit wired in parallel with the ESC. This would strip the voltage down to about 5V, which would be easy enough to get to ~3-3.5V for the LEDs with resistors.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
571 Posts
Sounds like you have a good understanding of power lights. I purchased a kit from headsuprc.com and planned on installing in my sons Dynam C-47 that has twin 30A ESC's. They suggested I buy a T-Plug to eliminate splicing, then connect a UBEC to that. From the UBEC I'm to connect the LED control that will in turn connect to an open channel on the receiver so I can actuate the lights from the TX. All sounds great, but looking at it further, the output wires on the UBEC have a receiver plug on it but there is nowhere to plug it into the LED control. So I was wondering, can I connect the LED control and the UBEC with a Y Harness and plug it into an open channel on the receiver? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you......Doug

P.S. He also has the Dynam SR22 that currently has a 30A ESC in it. If I upgrade to a 45A ESC, could I eliminate all of the above hassel and just plug the LED control into an open channel on the receiver? Thanks again.
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
851 Posts
Zeppelin
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield