SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Johnnymeg, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:04 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatWombat View Post
A balloon cannot reach orbit.
You're looking at a tangential velocity of ~18,000mph for LEO.
Weather balloon flights are only "space" in the most arbitrary of terms.

That said, I think this project needs a good deal of thought with regards to high-altitude control. The air is thin, cold, and breezy. I don't expect the typical R/C aircraft to handle it. You'd need exaggerated wing area (U-2?) and maybe even reaction-control since your regular control surfaces will be hopeless.
Unless you just plan to fall for a while and then only fly the last 10% of the mission, but then, how is that more interesting than the usual parachute?
Well the plane we plan on using is a flying wing so we will have tons of control throws that we could tie into an auto leveling system. it might wall until it gets enough speed to creat lift but a flying wing will have plenty of exaggerated throws. If we still have video link the whole time one of us could always try and fly it on incredibly high rates then turn them down once we get it level. My idea would be once it breaks loose from whatever is pulling it up to have the plane start to do a nose dive untill we can start to I'll back and level itself out. Bc if we just tried to fly it right after it's released it will just tumble out of control and it will be hard to tell what's going on. It's easier just to dive so you have a point of reference and can actually get it leveled out at a certain point. Also the video would be much better.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:14 PM
Missouri
Joined Aug 2004
116 Posts
If you haven't seen it yet, check out these guy's project. I think that wing will 'fly' better than you expect.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ies-Earth.html
enuro12 is offline Find More Posts by enuro12
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:32 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,562 Posts
@enuro thanks for that info it was awesome. I personally think out flying wing will do fine also. Wings don't need alot of throws to do anything so we will have a bunch of extra throws if needed.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:08 PM
Connecticut Quad Hacker
Joined Dec 2009
956 Posts
druge chute deployed until stable with timed cut away solves the stablility.
batfire is offline Find More Posts by batfire
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:19 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,562 Posts
Good thinking but adds more weight.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:32 AM
FPV Dealer,Getting People High
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Sep 2011
1,182 Posts
I will be going to do some FPV over the Launch site tomorrow on my way to Airizona, Hopefully I am able to record with my camera. I will take some pictures of the suggested launch site and upload the videos, pictures and coordinates this weekend.

Edit 10/19/2012

So on our way out to Lake Havasu City Arizona, I decided to stop and scout out a few Areas to do our launch. Knowing that the Jet stream and normal winds Usually travel East I decided to investigate an area that seems to be flat for roughly 50-60 miles with some medium sized mountains around the perimiter. there is no Civilization for miles besides a small truck stop gas station about 30 miles east. The only issue I see with this location is the busy I40 runs parrallel with the projected Winds. I will have to research some more of the wind patterns for this area, if it moves slightly north then this will be a great spot, but This leaves the worry about "what if the system fails and it falls on the highway". I cant take that chance so I will continue to look for a launch location.

Here are some pictues of the area Just north of the location
Johnnymeg is offline Find More Posts by Johnnymeg
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Johnnymeg; Oct 20, 2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,182 Posts
I believe I found a applicable launch site. After reviewing my location on google maps.

I feel this will be a good site, so long as wind direction is traveling east we should be over a non populated area.

this area also features many dirt roads in several directions to help assist us if the plane is not able to be flown back, and dead recovery is needed.

GPS coordinates 34.337766,-115.686035
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:54 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,562 Posts
W are not going to crash bc I'll fly this crap back to us lol.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:12 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
316 Posts
This april fools joke?
beercandan11 is offline Find More Posts by beercandan11
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:51 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,182 Posts
Actually believe it or not April 1st is my birthday. So that's why I picked that day. It also gives us a few months for testing and preperations.

I was browsing around and I found this thread. When we goto do some tests at the launch site I will test out my wifi on my phone to see if I can stream live for everyone to see the actual launch.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706669

I recently got bronchitus and this medication and coughing keeps me up all night.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Johnnymeg; Oct 20, 2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:33 AM
Three cards shy of a full deck
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2012
112 Posts
I find all this very intriguing, I will have to follow along as well, good luck, I have been in the Lake Havasu area a while back and don't see why that area won't be superb for this, best wishes and I'll be waiting to see how it all turns out, Tim
TJWright is offline Find More Posts by TJWright
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,092 Posts
Johnny, I wish you and your team the best of luck. I'm going to the river, close to Havasu. I know of some places over by Quartzsite. that has nothing but flat land as far as you can see.

I can scout them out for you if you like.
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1,182 Posts
Hey Bill,

Thanks for the encouragement. We hope it will be a fun day, I'm going to see if Andy can help maybe organize an fpv meet out there in the desert we could probably get people from 3 states to come watch and fly with us.

I was think about that area but I want to stay on the california side, the launch site will be between vidal junction and 29 palms. I have seen people do these balloons from high school football fields, but I want to give us room to fly back with out obstructions and in a radio frequency free zone so to speak.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:40 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert55ca View Post
....NO Dragon OSD does not have RADAR ID, it has a simple video ID on whatever frequency you are using to satisfy some of the legalities of running a video transmitter.
I am not quiet sure where you got that information... :-)
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:43 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,851 Posts
I am getting Camp P set right now ... when is your launch?
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi