HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Nov 2009
33 Posts
Discussion
Cg for playboy old timer airplane

i have a playboy that i converted to electric power.wingspan is 78 in. moved all gear as far forward as i can and its real tail heavy. i was checking at the main spar. any help would be appreciated.

GARY
iceman 29488 is offline Find More Posts by iceman 29488
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:12 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
933 Posts
Hi Gary; Start at 50% and you might be able to go as far as 55%, mine is about 53%
Colin
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Nov 2009
33 Posts
Ok thanks for the speedy reply

gary
iceman 29488 is offline Find More Posts by iceman 29488
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:29 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,538 Posts
My FF Snr. is at about 60%.
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Jan 2005
743 Posts
Playboy Cabin

I have flown my full size Playboy cabin at 65% CG for best glide. Wing incidence reduce to about 1 1/2 degrees. Downthrust 8 degrees. Flown is SAM A Texaco with 15 diesel. Photo shows GB 5.4 cc diesel for sport. Also flown in Electric Texaco with geared Astro 010 and LMR with a bigger electric motor. Built in 1999. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:10 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,641 Posts
It's a common mistake to think that these older designs need a more forward CG location when you convert to RC. But as the replies above indicate it just ain't so.

One trick I will add is that with the common yet still stable rearward CG's as mentioned comes added sensitivity to the elevator. Don't confuse this with any instability. You'll simply need to reduce the amount of elevator throw by using the outermost holes in the control horn to get back to a harmonius elevator response.

One way to fine tune your CG position after the first few flights is to perform dive tests. This is where you trim for a nice floating glide and then push forward and hold a 30 degree dive for a second or so then release the stick. If the model raises the nose through level in a short time and distance then you are still overly "stable" and can shift the CG back more and re-trim the elevators for a good glide. When it gets to where it almost seems hesitant to recover then you've gone too far the other way. What you want is a nice positive but LOOONG recovery where from stick release to the nose coming through level for the first pullup it takes about 100 feet of altitude. That sort of stability is close to optimum for glide performance and lowers the amount of downthrust needed for power on.

What you're doing is playing with moving the CG back and forth relative to the overall aircraft neutral point and then compensating with the amount of wing to stab decalage to re-trim. The idea is to end up with the least decalage that still gives you a positive stability value. The CG location simply needs to be matched to this decalage setting to ensure a good glide. But we set the CG first than alter the decalage via the elevator trim since it's easier to do so.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews