HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:29 PM
Finland
Joined Jul 2004
674 Posts
Discussion
Golden tiger 120mm all alloy fan..

Has this been discussed/ reviewed yet? : http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...roducts_id=352

looks nice but who makes them and price is ridiculous..
Ceeray is offline Find More Posts by Ceeray
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Heads up. An injury waiting to happen.

I would wait for Hobby King to come out with the 120mm configured like the 90mm/12. And you know it will be a value.

It has an out runner motor included and a very significant design improvement over the one you mentioned. A front support bearing.

Eliminating the chance of the rotor gyrating into the shroud (alum to alum!!, super thin razor sharp blades) once in an airframe. It is also a pusher, (motor in front of rotor) as a result, the rotor is pushing on the motor can. The rotor is also machined to fit into the out runner's can and is also supported by the out runner shaft.

Think about that. It is being turned by the can as well as the shaft that is in a front support bearing.

Early tests are impressive. if it has a weak link, I'll mention that too. Pre-balanced, and not just the words, it's smooth. I figure the front bearing really helps in keeping it smooth as well.

I know it's a 120, but the configuration of the HK is what will make the difference.

Just a matter of time before they release the other sizes.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Oct 02, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
mistake, sorry

Steve
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:12 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
LOL, bling-bling!
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
419 Posts
those look like tornado edf but I have never seen "golden ones"
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Jun 2007
1,167 Posts
i had one of the original 90mm tiger fans, mine wasnt all blinged out in gold, but its super smooth, needed no balancing, the intake lip screws on, and the best thing for me was that the shroud is designed so that the rotor cannot fly off forward..the 120 sounds awesome and puts out some really good numbers, ive seen it in a 120mm cougar and i was impressed..i'm stilling using wemos and het's, but i'll be using the gold 120 if i buy a cougar next year...i think chris true has one of the 90mm ones if you want some info on them.i dont own one at the moment so i can only speak from what ive seen
kremecheze is offline Find More Posts by kremecheze
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:56 PM
Finland
Joined Jul 2004
674 Posts
Scalecraft, do you know for sure that HK has 120mm multiblade system coming which will not shed blades? Thats what impression I got..?

Anyways , that alloy fan looks good (golden) but at that price I anyways would buy proven product like vasafan-14 or extremerc 120mm etc..

But if that fan would be sold by another firm at 100$ or so, I probably would bite the bait..
Ceeray is offline Find More Posts by Ceeray
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Jun 2007
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeray View Post
Scalecraft, do you know for sure that HK has 120mm multiblade system coming which will not shed blades? Thats what impression I got..?

Anyways , that alloy fan looks good (golden) but at that price I anyways would buy proven product like vasafan-14 or extremerc 120mm etc..

But if that fan would be sold by another firm at 100$ or so, I probably would bite the bait..
i buy from hk all the time, but i would not trust a big 120mm bird to there quality control, there are a lot of quality 120mm fans out there. how would you feel if your huge 120mm jet crashes because an hk fan fails on you mid air? when you are going that big, go with quality, it is also a safety issue at that size
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Ceeray,

I don't trust any items that spin at high speeds. Props, turbines, edfs, dremels, blenders,ect.....

Never figure any rotor will stay together. Doesn't take much effort to be safe.

I'm sorry I was unclear.

I always post to expect any rotor to fly apart. The modelers are pushing the design limits with all the new motors and lipo ratings.

Always expect high speed moving parts to be dangerous.

The ez pictured configuration of the edf shows a potential to be a problem, yet it's verbal description below it is more the description of the pics I posted of the HK and not the pics on ez's site.

On the HK 120mm alloy, that is pure speculation on my part. Historically, one will notice that it's just a matter of time before HK sells the same/similar items that are introduced for less. Patience/Discipline = Savings.

The old "you get what you pay for" does not fly these days. It's "who and what you paid, to get what you want"

Steve
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Oct 03, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Sep 2012
42 Posts
Tom yu is offline Find More Posts by Tom yu
Last edited by Tom yu; Oct 05, 2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:06 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,944 Posts
Here is a video of the fan in a 64" Cougar they sell. I am thinking about putting a turbine in the Cougar, but may consider EDF as well. Their fan does sound awesome!

http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...roducts_id=355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeray View Post
Has this been discussed/ reviewed yet? : http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...roducts_id=352

looks nice but who makes them and price is ridiculous..
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,167 Posts
thats my local field..i was there for that flight and it was pretty awesome, i think the should offer a fan/motor/esc combo like they do for there giant scale planes
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:14 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,677 Posts
I would like to see the performance of the fan vs how it looks or even how it sounds.

I could care less if it was made of wood just as long as it gets me the most thrust for watts in.

Using a metal rotor they should be able to spin it faster and use less energy if it's light weight
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
I would like to see the performance of the fan vs how it looks or even how it sounds.

I could care less if it was made of wood just as long as it gets me the most thrust for watts in.

Using a metal rotor they should be able to spin it faster and use less energy if it's light weight
cant help ya there, i know you like to tinker as i do, i probably wont get one of my hands on one of these till next season for testing, hopefully someone will post some numbers before then
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Jan 2011
1,103 Posts
INternals

Can someone post some image of the ducting on this model and show the area for the fan system and nose gear area. Wing show the bottom. The size is right.
jefffassbinder is offline Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member