Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
can I charge a 1s lipo with usb charger (used for phone with lipo)

hello I have a rc system 1s 3.7v 1200mah and it takes 2h and 30m to charge with rc system charger (output 4.2v. 500mA)
and I noticed my usb charger and wondering if I can charge it with usb charger... see in attachments.
thanks
MaRcIu is offline Find More Posts by MaRcIu
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
not unless you have a USB compatable lipo charger to plug the usb into.

a "USB charger" is nothing but a power supply. it supplies 5V and 1A in the case of that one. there are no smarts in that supply to know how to charge a battery or when to stop. when you plug one of those into your phone, the phone has the charger built in.
minbari is online now Find More Posts by minbari
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
not unless you have a USB compatable lipo charger to plug the usb into.

a "USB charger" is nothing but a power supply. it supplies 5V and 1A in the case of that one. there are no smarts in that supply to know how to charge a battery or when to stop. when you plug one of those into your phone, the phone has the charger built in.
exactly what I thought but my only question is if I can charge it without harm the battery with that voltage.
I would calculate the estimated time to charge and unplug before.
as the connector I can solder one to those wires. I could even fabricate a "false battery" and charge the battery directly from the phone.
I want this just for when I can't wait 2 and half hours.

but yeah it's safer using the intelligent charger. I test the helicopter and runs out of power in 11minutes damn this is hard to wait lol
Last edited by MaRcIu; Oct 02, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
I wouldnt do it. you might not do it any harm the first time, but you only have to be off a little and you will start doing damage over time.

not only that, the USB supply will go to full out current when you plug that in. good posibility you will just melt the supply
minbari is online now Find More Posts by minbari
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
ok I will follow your good advice! thanks!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:03 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
Just to clarify: A fully charged LiPo is 4.20 volts, a 5 volt power supply will feed that battery past it's 4.2 volt limit and the battery will start to heat up, puff, smoke and, eventually, catch fire.

A good charger is always cheaper than rebuilding a burned down home.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas