HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Would you like to see this new forum created?
Yes 97 90.65%
N0 10 9.35%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:58 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,010 Posts
I think the current forum could be renamed instead. Why have

1) Builders Workshop
2) Foamy builders forum
3) Woody builders forum.

Rather than adding a new one, just rename the current one to reflect the fact that it's already mostly wood builders.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:27 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Well I was going to abstain but since you're already getting into insulting anyone who disagrees with you then I'm off to vote as I initially thought....which was no thanks...Steve
Just WOW!
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:06 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
I kind of like the "subforum" idea that JCStalls mentioned.... Perhaps, by kit manufacturer or plan designer, sort of like Hip Pocket Aeronautics has? And similar to an engine forum by engine manufacturer? Would be a good place to ask for customer support from an manufacturer all in place, a clarification of a manual, etc? Either way, I'm in. I haven't started my Sig 4*40 kit I purchased recently, but I've got my kit progression already lined up and my eye on several scratchbuild plans from Outerzone and HPA.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, MI, Tuscola
Joined Oct 2006
51 Posts
I'm in regardless of name. Thanks.
Slavko is offline Find More Posts by Slavko
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Well I was going to abstain but since you're already getting into insulting anyone who disagrees with you then I'm off to vote as I initially thought....which was no thanks.

And that's not because I hate people who use wood (I am one) it's because I think RCG already has far too many forums which contain a few things I'm potentially interested in. They're already spread about all over the place and having yet another forum for people to try to decide if that's the right place to post their thread is IMO a bad idea. Just dilutes things further and makes anything specific even harder to find.

There are certain types of model I'm interested in and other types in which I have no interest. But the difference between them is not just what materials they're made of .

Steve
You were insulted by that ???? That was his opinion-I thought we could still have those........
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:21 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
You were insulted by that ???? That was his opinion-I thought we could still have those........
We can indeed ALL have opinions and we can act on them....so I did .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Steve, can't quite grasp how I offended you? At 62, I was the old person I was speaking of. However, I doubt that your opinions on things could be changed by one one persons statements on an issue!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:52 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
I'm planning on starting a build thread soon. So, if this goes through(as it appears it will), where am I supposed to post it?

-- Scale Electric Planes - It's a scale version of an existing plane. There's already lots of balsa models built there.
-- Builders Workshop - I'm building it from scratch.
-- "Woodies" - It will be balsa.

See the conundrum of overlapping forums?
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:56 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wehrdo View Post
I'm planning on starting a build thread soon. So, if this goes through(as it appears it will), where am I supposed to post it?

-- Scale Electric Planes - It's a scale version of an existing plane. There's already lots of balsa models built there.
-- Builders Workshop - I'm building it from scratch.
-- "Woodies" - It will be balsa.

See the conundrum of overlapping forums?
Post it wherever you want to. The forum really doesn't matter. People interested will find it no matter where it is posted.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:58 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Don't want to argue over a name,but I would like to defend it.

We've become accustomed to it,and it describes what the OP (Rctrainerplane) wanted to do.

It's so little to ask...

C'mon guys- -"WOODIE"?
'Woodie' is a term already in use by sailplane folks when referring to ... well... a wooden sailplane!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:44 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,084 Posts
Maybe an overhaul of all the forum names is in order???

In any case on the "other" RC site there is a kit build forum and a scratch build forum.

Kit builders are a rare breed and scratch builders are on the endangered species list.

I'm in no mater what.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:53 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Post it wherever you want to. The forum really doesn't matter. People interested will find it no matter where it is posted.

I wouldn't worry about it.
So why are we worrying about another forum?

If we just determined that as long as it's posted in a forum that makes sense then people will find it, what's the need of another forum for people to find things that interest them?
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:22 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
I'm with Wehdro and the others a bit concerned. I have already presented some opinions, but seems that some havn't read it. Its not that I'm against it, its just that there is so many forums already and I would like to see bits of all of this stuff. I think the subforum sounds good, builders section then has a foam subforum, a balsa subforum etc. That way general stuff could go in the main bit, and other stuff like balsa build log in the appropriate subforum.

I don't have time to go and scan through 5 different forums discussing building aspects, I thought it was more logical to keep them a bit more central and maybe have the build logs specifically in its own bit
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:09 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
Maybe an overhaul of all the forum names is in order???

In any case on the "other" RC site there is a kit build forum and a scratch build forum.

Kit builders are a rare breed and scratch builders are on the endangered species list.

I'm in no mater what.

Ken
Thats a good way of putting it and I'm proud to day I can consider myself both a rare breed and an endangered species all at the same time and will continue to be from here on out. How many people out there do you know who are in their 20's like me and willing to take on a scratch build like myself. Hope to pass this trait on to my children.
cbarnes0061 is online now Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:15 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wehrdo View Post
So why are we worrying about another forum?

If we just determined that as long as it's posted in a forum that makes sense then people will find it, what's the need of another forum for people to find things that interest them?
I'm not worried at all and really don't care if we have one forum or a thousand here on RCG. It's all good in my mind. We are already wading through too many forums as it is, what is one more? But I don't have a cat in this fight. I simply helped out a fellow modeler post the thread in SSC. If the majority wants the forum then I say great. If the majority don't then that is great as well.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Oct 04, 2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread