HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
I've seen the 2 dollar servos rant on here many times and it's a testament to how petty some people can be.
Exactly. We all have extra servos lying around. They could spend 10 min replacing it on their own or spend 6 hours with customer service trying to get a whole new plane out of it. Or wait 2 weeks for a new servo leaving the plane on a shelf unflown.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:12 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babadush View Post
Exactly. We all have extra servos lying around. They could spend 10 min replacing it on their own or spend 6 hours with customer service trying to get a whole new plane out of it. Or wait 2 weeks for a new servo leaving the plane on a shelf unflown.
I've noticed that modern consumers expect perfection and demand an additional extra beyond having the fault put right.

It's a bit like a claim for whiplash.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
I've noticed that modern consumers expect perfection and demand an additional extra beyond having the fault put right.

It's a bit like a claim for whiplash.
Unrealistic expectations have caused this mentality in almost every aspect of consumerism.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:20 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babadush View Post
Unrealistic expectations have caused this mentality in almost every aspect of consumerism.
Indeed. The idea that HK are being a bit shape as part of an overriding business strategy is laughable.

Dead on arrival servo? I know I'll sent the one I broke myself back with it too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:23 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,012 Posts
Well that's it isn't it. But what exactly is an "unrealistic" expectation? Should we expect that for our hard earned money we spend with a company, we should expect a modicum of value and customer service for the money spent? Oftimes it is a one way street, with the company more than willing to accept your cash, but very unwilling to refund if one gets a substandard product. The only way this scenario works out is if you accept the fact that you are willing to accept the loss when the company you are doing business with isn't willing to. Face it, all these companies know that regardless of how many complaints and bad forum comments are placed about them, there are always gonna be people for whom price is everything and thus these companies will continue to prosper. That's just the way it is; suck it up and move on.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Indeed. The idea that HK are being a bit shape as part of an overriding business strategy is laughable.

Dead on arrival servo? I know I'll sent the one I broke myself back with it too.
If a business like hobbyking really did drop in bad motors, escs, or servos on purpose just to get people to order more they'd be out of business. Here's what really happens. Workers have a bin full of servos, motors, and escs. As the plane comes down to them they drop them in the plane. The components were quality checked beforehand. Some may have been over looked. That's all it really is. For someone to think they willingly drop bad components into products is ridiculous.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:37 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Well that's it isn't it. But what exactly is an "unrealistic" expectation? Should we expect that for our hard earned money we spend with a company, we should expect a modicum of value and customer service for the money spent? Oftimes it is a one way street, with the company more than willing to accept your cash, but very unwilling to refund if one gets a substandard product. The only way this scenario works out is if you accept the fact that you are willing to accept the loss when the company you are doing business with isn't willing to. Face it, all these companies know that regardless of how many complaints and bad forum comments are placed about them, there are always gonna be people for whom price is everything and thus these companies will continue to prosper. That's just the way it is; suck it up and move on.
Buyer beware. I've no sympathy for those that dont bother with research.

I bought an HK mossie knowing full well the gear was a bit weak.

What to be the first to own a new unreviewed model? Then accept the fact there's a risk attached.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,012 Posts
Yes, to even consider that each and every one of the components is individually checked for QC is pretty farfetched. Companies do sample checks on components. Some less than perfect examples are bound to get through.

And yes, too many people don't bother researching and aren't prepared at all. Precicely, Caveat Emptor!!!
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:02 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Yes, to even consider that each and every one of the components is individually checked for QC is pretty farfetched. Companies do sample checks on components. Some less than perfect examples are bound to get through.

And yes, too many people don't bother researching and aren't prepared at all. Precicely, Caveat Emptor!!!
And they end up here asking their stupid questions, answers to which they could have found in the manual.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:53 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
haa when i get a plane from these companies, i figure on replacing the cheap servos and the under amp rated ESC, i also plan on putting REAL hinges on and some control rods get replaced .
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
And they end up here asking their stupid questions, answers to which they could have found in the manual.
A lazy whiney generation
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
I love HK and order quite a bit from them. Never had any problems. Actually I did have a slight problem. They shipped the wrong color of shrink tube. The horrors I got red when I asked for blue.....

Everything else came...albiet after a couple of weeks, but they are shipping from Hong Kong after all, in fine shape.

I use orange Rx no problems yet.

I use HK ESC's no problems yet.

I have ordered a few planes from them, no problems yet. I don't whine about the few issues I have with the planes, I just fix them.

The one thing I have noticed it is always the old timers who complain about HK. Maybe it just is the fact they no longer have a monopoly over the hobby because HK makes it affordable for everyone not just the retired rich elitist snobs.
FoamieFlier is offline Find More Posts by FoamieFlier
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Sep 2008
103 Posts
Lots of HK stuff in my workshop, no planes as I build so have no love for ARFS.
Postage from China to Canada is less than what I pay for domestic packages.
I just payed $13.88 to send a 58 gram bubble mailer with tracking, standard delivery, no delivery confirmation no extra insurance.
Just ordered from HK 193 grams @ $5.99 postage with tracking, insurance and delivery confirmation.
Have had one order go wrong, It was not my stuff! Followed the HK directions and got my stuff plus a credit in US funds for the return postage costs. At the time US$ was trading over CDN$ value.
flashburn is offline Find More Posts by flashburn
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
Quote:
I agree that you should be able to expect some amount of customer service. That being said, pay through PayPal using a credit card. This gives you several layers of protection should something go wrong. It might take some time but it can be fixed. I think, given the volume of business that a company like HK does, the percentage of orders that have major problems is probably extremely low (just a guess) because if every order was that dinked up, they would no longer be in business.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:53 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Because, if you let them get away with it over and over again, it will be $10, $25, $50 parts before you know it...and companies know this...
Where do these silly conspiacy theories come from? It is in nobody's interest to deliberatley send out models with faulty components, if a fault is found on a model, the manufacturer is told to sort it out....fast.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello