HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:19 AM
Fly Safe !!
Cape Town
Joined Jul 2007
440 Posts
I could not afford this hobby if it was not for HK - plain and simple.

48 orders and no issues..
Have had to return an item - took a while but it was sorted to my sattisfaction.

Before you buy do a bit of research before you hit the buy button.
porqui is offline Find More Posts by porqui
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:50 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,797 Posts
We've had this conversation many times before, and it's always the same result. To save time I'll repost my response from the last thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
I've only ordered once from HK (from the new UK warehouse) and it went pretty well, but that was only a couple of LiPos*. However I know plenty of people who order regularly (including airframes), and a few who used to but have had bad experiences. Their views (in general) seem to be one or other of...
  1. "I recognise this is an offshore business, that postage will be expensive and sometimes long winded, and that customer service and quality is sometimes variable. However the very low prices are worth it for me, and by using the forums I can find out if a product has any issues I need to know about before deciding to purchase."
  2. "I expect speedy delivery, excellent service and a perfect product every time. I should be able to look at the HK website, order and the product turn up tomorrow working exactly as advertised. My local hobby store/in-country online shop can do this, but for some reason HK don't seem to be able to manage it!"
Put simply there is always an element of you get what you pay for - the reason HK don't have good customer service is because they are operating in big volumes and taking pretty small margins. If you want perfect customer service and quality there are plenty of retailers who can provide that for you in country, but it will cost more. If not, make sure you do your research before pushing the buy button.
* - Since I posted this I've bought the excellent Zlin 50 25e. No complaints at all from that purchase - it's a rebadged Hyperion kit and represents superb value for money with no duff components. Careful research pays off!
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 03, 2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: typos
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:10 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,975 Posts
Hi Matt, yep, people really are...

Quote:
"I expect speedy delivery, excellent service and a perfect product every time. I should be able to look at the HK website, order and the product turn up tomorrow working exactly as advertised. My local hobby store/in-country online shop can do this, but for some reason HK don't seem to be able to manage it!"
...that demanding. And these people are also the first to stop using the LHS.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:36 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,863 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the aircraft in question has been out of stock now for quite some time. HK provided an RMA? I thought HK didn't do RMA's. I also thought they took your first born and charged about a trillion dollars for postage. I think they were also responsible for almost killing Austin Powers Faja.

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:39 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
My experience with H.K. has been pretty good, with the tiny exception of waiting for stuff from China. I've ordered 2 planes THROUGH them (Nine Eagles U.M.s), bunch of batteries, props, the batteries take the longest to get here, haven't had any issues with anything from them, which is more than I can say for Nitroplanes (LOOOONG story), customer service has definately been better than N.P., or Banana Hobby, couldn't rely on either one for parts for my FMS plane(s) that H.K. had, and delivered to my door in a week. Not too shabby...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:08 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Hi Matt, yep, people really are that demanding. And these people are also the first to stop using the LHS.
So true! I always buy my stuff at the local shop when they have what I want in stock, but increasingly that's a rare occurrence - they have little non RTF/BNF electric stuff, and zero decent gliders/gliding accessories (slope soaring is my primary interest). For the rest I buy from UK online retailers where possible, and HK where not (though obviously only for stuff that I can ratify is good quality from the forums).
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 03, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,911 Posts
Hey, anytime you find deals too good to be true, then expect some fallout. A few weeks ago, I saw an HK ad for an Orange 6 channel Rx that was an incredible $3.99 (they only let me order one though). Also saw one for a low battery alarm which was $2.99. I ordered 1 Rx and 2 of the alarms. I took bout 12 days for the stuff to arrive, but so far all are working OK. Having been in business for 20 years from 1973 to 1993, I know how important customer service is, that is why I won't buy complete planes from HK, Banana Hobby, or NitroPlanes. I prefer to stick with companies like Hobbico and Horizon Hobby. But then, to me, paying a little extra for those products doesn't matter. If you want to stay in the hobby and HK, HB and NP are all you can afford, then great, just be prepared to suck it up when something happens. Otherwise, stick with companies with more reputable customer service, period.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:29 AM
United States, TN, Moscow
Joined Oct 2003
39 Posts
Glacier Girl- I did check into HK before I bought. I came across threads similar to this one and like some say about me and my issue, it's just sour grapes of one mad customer.
After their complaint, there was post after post telling how great they are to deal with mentioning "500 purchases and not one problem"(sic). I took that for what it seemed and went ahead and ordered. Sure, it came in quick enough from the US wharehouse, price was right, several good comments on the plane and HK on line. That's where it ended.

Months have passed with email after email going back and forth. They sent me USPS tracking numbers for shipments of replacement parts for the plane they never made. Yes, I checked with USPS and they said these were not real tracking numbers.
They finally agreed to issue an RMA number and I sent it back. They emailed me saying they received it back and yes there are prolems with it. They gave me a credit for the battery and said they would ship out a new plane. Again I received an email with a USPS tracking number that wasn't real. After several emails with Vivian at their customer service center, she said they hadn't shipped it yet. She sent another tracking number that was real.
Instead of receiving a new plane, they only shipped a replacement propeller.
Email back to Vivian and she said the problem is taken care of, I have a replacement propeller.

What good is the prop if I don't have the plane? They keep closing the service requests and saying I am not going to receive another plane. They marked the "value" of the $2 prop as $158 on the shipping manifest and say that I have received full value for my plane.
Crater Maker is offline Find More Posts by Crater Maker
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
The old air screw you trick! Sneaky!!
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:36 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater Maker View Post
Glacier Girl- I did check into HK before I bought. I came across threads similar to this one and like some say about me and my issue, it's just sour grapes of one mad customer.
After their complaint, there was post after post telling how great they are to deal with mentioning "500 purchases and not one problem"(sic). I took that for what it seemed and went ahead and ordered. Sure, it came in quick enough from the US wharehouse, price was right, several good comments on the plane and HK on line. That's where it ended.

Months have passed with email after email going back and forth. They sent me USPS tracking numbers for shipments of replacement parts for the plane they never made. Yes, I checked with USPS and they said these were not real tracking numbers.
They finally agreed to issue an RMA number and I sent it back. They emailed me saying they received it back and yes there are prolems with it. They gave me a credit for the battery and said they would ship out a new plane. Again I received an email with a USPS tracking number that wasn't real. After several emails with Vivian at their customer service center, she said they hadn't shipped it yet. She sent another tracking number that was real.
Instead of receiving a new plane, they only shipped a replacement propeller.
Email back to Vivian and she said the problem is taken care of, I have a replacement propeller.

What good is the prop if I don't have the plane? They keep closing the service requests and saying I am not going to receive another plane. They marked the "value" of the $2 prop as $158 on the shipping manifest and say that I have received full value for my plane.
Then go to the credit card company!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:38 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,230 Posts
Quote:
. Nothing screams SCHILL any louder.
Hi, it is I, your local spelling "Nazi."I courteously interrupt this cheery conversation to inject that there is no such thing as a "SCHILL." You are most likely referring to the word "shill" someone representing themselves as a neutral party when in fact they have a conflict of interest that prevents them from presenting the truth.

You may now resume the cheery discussion.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:46 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,975 Posts
Quote:
Chuck- I understand the whole "You get what you pay for". I just wish I would have actually gotten it. They have the plane and the money.
If that is the way they do the majority of their customers, I don't think they will be in business very long.

What kills me is when anyone says how bad the products and service is with Hobby King, how fast the schills swoop in like a bunch of nasty little buzzards to pick up the couple of little coins HK throws on the ground for them.
They offer no help, insight or alternatives. They only attack you and accuse you of being inept or a liar. Nothing screams SCHILL [sic] any louder.
As God is my witness, and on the life of my first born, I get no money from HK.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
848 Posts
delete post , not worth my time
xrx1113 is online now Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
848 Posts
delete post , not worth my time
xrx1113 is online now Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:56 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
here's a hobbyking nightmare for ya
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Last edited by BrentP; Oct 03, 2012 at 11:09 AM.