HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:02 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,304 Posts
got my first foam plane from hobby king, got it together plugged in battery and the board caught on fire ! Took me three months to get that mess sorted out, since then i have bought TX,batteries,spare parts ect and had no problems. But yea service sucks !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,169 Posts
I have placed several orders with HobbyKing. I too research the threads before I order anyplane from them. Or did in the past when I started this hobby. Starting out I wanted cheap planes. I knew I would crash. Although I think this angle worked against me. Most of those less expensives planes were a handfull to fly. Now I mostly use HobbyKing for batteries and such. Now that I feel confident that I can take off, fly, and land just about any plane. I've stopped trying to cut corners on the airframes.
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:00 PM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
337 Posts
Man, whats the fuss? Hobby King is just what you think it is...A bunch of copied Chinese junk in most cases...However, they have good deals on a lot of stuff and if you want to take chance, then they are for you.. All my batteries are HK and a few ESC and motors...They all work ok..I would never buy a plane from them or a 26cc gas engine for example ..not for beginners as already said....you need a little product knowledge to weed through the stuff..
mazjag is offline Find More Posts by mazjag
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:10 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. I got a local guy that sells HK stuff. I go get what I want and don't wait months on shipping. He carries rx, lipos, props, motors and most small supplies.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
I guess I'm lucky. I got a local guy that sells HK stuff. I go get what I want and don't wait months on shipping. He carries rx, lipos, props, motors and most small supplies.
I'm thinking of doing that myself
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:33 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Yea, my buddy got the OK to sell HK products, it's pretty easy to become a dealer.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:51 PM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater Maker View Post
Where can people post on here to let people know to steer clear of any dealings with Hobby King? Judging from the ads, they seem to own this website.
its a shame you had problems with them, you should use paypal to do all of your transactions because paypal give your money back if you start a dispute with hobbyking.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, TN, Moscow
Joined Oct 2003
39 Posts
I used paypal, but the catch is since they shipped a damaged product and I returned it for warranty, paypal has no dog in this fight.
If I would have filed a claim on them from the very begining them they would help.
HK knows this, they get you to return the plane and then they keep the money and plane and paypal can't do anything to help you. Believe me I have tried that route as well.
Crater Maker is offline Find More Posts by Crater Maker
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:40 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
Deleted
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Last edited by onewire; Oct 02, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:24 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
Just to clarify something I'm not quite sure on. May not have interpreted a previous post right. Crater Maker, in post #15 it sounds like you knew before that HK has a somewhat tattered reputation, yet you took a chance. If so you gambled and lost. It happens.

Does it happen to everyone? No. It hasn't happened to me. Yet.

Point I'm getting at is yes if you went in unaware, and got burnt, then shame on HK.
But if you went in knowing in advance there could be a problem then you gambled and lost.

I'm no shill, but I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday, day before actually.
I know it's a gamble with HK, just like some other places even here in the good old USA.
And I'll be happy to let you know who they are off site so I don't get in trouble.

But anywho, knowing what little I do, I check out the products, and the threads before ordering. And if something goes south, I know I lost on my terms.

But like mentioned before I also cover my butt when I order. I use Pay Pal, paid by credit card. If I feel I did my part, and so and so didn't hold up their end, I go to Pay Pal for help.
If I don't get what I want there, I call my credit card company. It's taken care of then.

These companies only understand money. You take it away from them and you will get their attention.

Take from a P-38 freak, when I saw that bird I was foaming at the mouth to get one. But after doing a little reading of what was being delivered, not only from HK, but a few other places, I realized that not only was I going to have to deal with taking a chance with so so at best support if something went wrong, but also a product that was poor to begin with. A double wammy not to buy.

Hope all works out for ya, don't let one bad experience, no matter who's fault spoil your fun. Life's too short.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:02 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,924 Posts
GlacierGirl touched on something I'm wondering. So Crater Maker went over PayPal's window to get his money back (through no fault of his own, the usual HK shipping window), but if you payed PayPal by credit card, you can still go to them and file a claim? Sure sounds like it's worth a try.

Another thought: Can one file a report that you didn't receive your item yet before that claim window closes, and by doing so it extends that window?

Another thing I just remembered, doesn't HK charge an extra fee if you pay by anything other than PayPal? Makes me wonder if it's true they exploit this loophole. I usually don't give any company that much credit to be 'smart' enough to come up with a scheme like that. Though I think I've only ordered one plane from them, it was from the international warehouse, but showed up in 7 days. I wonder if it was really in the US warehouse, but had all the Chinese mail stickers on it. That wouldn't have made their 30 day (or however long) window.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:24 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,304 Posts
Quote:
I used paypal, but the catch is since they shipped a damaged product and I returned it for warranty, paypal has no dog in this fight.
If I would have filed a claim on them from the very begining them they would help.
HK knows this, they get you to return the plane and then they keep the money and plane and paypal can't do anything to help you. Believe me I have tried that route as well.
Hmmm i sent plane back also. after waiting for a couple weeks with no contact from them i filed a claim via paypal, then HK said unless i stopped the claim there was nothing they could do ( a few more weeks go by) so then they said,stop the claim and they would give me a credit for amount paid for plane. So thats what i did, and i bought stuff from them using the credit. I wonder if i had said no send me my money what would have happened ?
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:35 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,974 Posts
Quote:
Stick to what I know?
I know when a plane has a cowl in the box from a totally different plane.
I know when the plastic parts for the prop are only half formed in the mold and you can only put one prop out of three on either one of the motors.
I know when I see one of the legs from the retracts broken off and thrown in the box.
I know how to count. One spinner in a kit for a twin engine airplane.
I know when a servo is glued in upside down with the output shaft pushed into the foam so it would go in the hole.

Even someone like you could figure out there is a problem with this plane.

You keep right on buying and rebuying parts to fix your Hobby King junk.
Better luck? lol Yeah, that's pretty lucky.
Not everything they sell is junk. For example, my Mosquito if superb.

Why don't you just go to paypal or your credit card and get you money back?

Warning loads of people who have had good service from HK to avoid them because you had one bad order is like into the wind.

Do you honestly think all orders end up like yours?

Get real.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:14 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,655 Posts
Many orders and never a problem. It’s a great company.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:02 AM
United Kingdom, England, Compton
Joined Feb 2008
83 Posts
I have placed a few orders with them - not too bad...

I did order an RTF plane with them, but the RX that came with it did not work, the rudder channel was dead...still awaiting for a replacement to arrive.

The one that came orginally was really cheap and nasty - from Freewing... I took it appart after they agreed to send a replacment, very poorly made inside... The reason it did'nt work was that 2 x wires had snapped off the rudder pot.

The plane itself is OK (a stinger 64) - not flown it yet (i'm not good enough yet !). Though it could be better,

1. The RX / TX and servo's are all a bit cheap, the servos are of different makes on the same plane...
2. The battery compartment is not really big enough for a 1800mah lipo... There's a slot at the front of the compartment to slide the battery into to allow CofG adjustment - though its far too small...
3. The manual is terrible, lacks on info and lots of bad "engrish".
keef30 is offline Find More Posts by keef30
Last edited by keef30; Oct 03, 2012 at 06:31 AM. Reason: typo