HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:03 AM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
Discussion
Sabertooth 25 dual speed controler

hi all
has anyone used the sabertooth 25 dual speed controler in any other tanks?
will
willhappy is offline Find More Posts by willhappy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:43 AM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
994 Posts
It's me again Will,

There have been a number of modelers who have incorporated the Sabertooth into their tank builds with great success. If it had been available when I built my LVTP-7 I would have used it myself. Check out http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...smode_1/tt.htm for more tank builds.

Herman
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:19 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,355 Posts
Will how big of a tank are you building? That monster runs 25 amps to each motor.

I'm running a 12 in my 1/6th Stuart, and even that's overkill for it.

Love the esc, took a bit to get it tuned, but works great.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:59 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,802 Posts
HEY With that speed controll what battery do you use. FOR I am thinking about the same thing but I would want a single battery not duals dont have that kind of room with a 16th scale pershing tank . Thanks
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:04 AM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
hi green
Man your the best. When you said 4 speed contolers i thought better find a simple way round that.
hi glacia girl looking in to the sabertooth 25 but i think i got the number wrong. Reason being going to do a !/35 scale LVTP-7 first so would put the sabertooth thats for ant weight robots, then going to scale up to 1/16 then if that all works may be 1/6th but that will mean lots of money for the tracks and wheels, so we will see
will
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:50 AM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
hi glacier
You are so right. Just went to check and wow. Hell that 25 would have power than my car.
What motors are you running in your 1/6th Stuart and what about the gearboxs?
will
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:29 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,355 Posts
Will, they are the stock units, I'd say a 540 to 600 class brushed motors in it.
If memory serves me right they only pull something like 3 amps.

When I ordered the 12, I was going to go with the 5, but it was on back order. So I figured what the heck, bigger esc, less work for it, less heat to deal with.

Rustbucket, you can run a single pack no problem. The dual esc doesn't care.

On mine I'm running a 12Ah 12 volt motorcycle gel battery. It probably weighs more then your whole tank. I run a 7cell 1500 mAh nicad pack just for the cannon.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:14 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,802 Posts
OK thanks on the information on that up I had the imprestion it had to have a set of dual batterys along with the motors. So you can set it up with the speckrun system and use one battery? So I also take it your controll both motors but 2 different channels on your radio ? get back to me on all of this for that idea is still there for me . That would be the best of both worlds to be able to do that one.For right now as for motors I am only running what came with MY Pershing tank.
12 Volt jells I know about those as well for that is what I run in the ships most of the time.
thanks DON ( Rustbucket)
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:49 AM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
hi glacier did you hook up the motors direct to the drive sprocket to move the tracks or did you run it though a gearbox???

will
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:57 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,355 Posts
Don, Yep I drive my tank on the right stick of my DX6i. Esc has two leads, plugs into the aileron and elevator sockets on the Orange rx. Has a built in mixer if your radio doesn't have the capabilities. Left stick runs the turret, and cannon elevation. I installed a pair of push button switches, tied to the flap and gear switches. Those fire the cannon, and turn the laser sight on and off.

Will, they run through the stock gearboxes. Honestly I don't know the ratio, got to be pretty low. They haul it around with authority, and it's pushing 50 pounds now.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:40 AM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
hi glacier
yous said in this thread (3) that it took you some time to get it to work or for you to tune it in, how hard is it???
will
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,355 Posts
The 12 uses dip switches for programming it. Don't know if it was a Spektrum problem or what, but originally I'd get a burst of speed forward/reverse when I tried em. After that it would just run at half speed, but if I tried a turn or spin, the tracks would run full speed.

Contacted Dimension Engineering and they had me change two switch positions from what the manual said it should be, and it runs fine now.

Had to do with the esc remembering the stick positions/ throttle range on start up.

Was no big deal, an email, and a really quick reply from them and I had it going in no time.
Now it can creep along, cruise, or tear up the ground no problem.

Why I think it may have been a Spektrum problem, I'm using a DX6i, and it seems it has to be rebound when ever I change a setting. Otherwise it goes stupid on powering up the rx with the tx on, and hunts between the new and old settings before it locks in. I think it was confusing the esc originally and was getting mixed signals and didn't know the correct throttle ranges.

Right after I added a barrel elevation system to mine, every time I'd power up the tank the turret would turn about 20 degrees to the left and the barrel would drop to it's lowest position. I rebound the system, and the problem went away.
Last edited by Glacier Girl; Oct 13, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:30 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,802 Posts
HEY GG I sent you a PM today I hope you got it . DON
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,355 Posts
Nope no PM, just got your email though. Nice pics!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:28 AM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
hi glacia
thanks for that, its always good to know. Going the the spertrum DX6i myself so that will help a lot.

will