HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:13 PM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
287 Posts
I've bought four ARFs from BH with no issues. Two of them FMS 1400mm warbirds. They really don't come with instructions. If it wasn't for the threads here on rcgroups I would have had a hard time getting it together.
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,013 Posts
The only problem I see is with replacement parts, which can be hard to get for those planes.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Sep 2012
267 Posts
every foam plane i've bought from BH has had some sort of problem. The problems may not show up right away but give it a few flights and somehting will happen. Yes, they do not keep spare parts in. I'm sticking with balsa from here on out. Tired of dealing with warped foam flight surfaces.

Don't get me wrong, foam planes are great if you're learning as when you crash, they are easy to fix. Once you start stepping up and wanting to get into precision aerobatics, foam in my opinion doesn't provide the precision i'm looking for. Also i'm learning that the electronics in these foam planes from BH and other vendors are cheap and usually are sub par/often fail. Do yourself a favor, buy quality electronics, then buy planes that will fit your electronics. If you buy quality servos/ESC/RX/Tx/Motor, they will reward you for a long time and will save you money in the long run.

Also don't buy the blitzrcquad charger fromBH. The charger is great for 3 cell 2200mah lipos but the moment you buy a 4s lipo, get ready for long charge times. Buy a quality charger such as powerlab6 or 8.
ryanbe15 is offline Find More Posts by ryanbe15
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:49 PM
Customer Support
United States, CA, Irwindale
Joined Nov 2010
252 Posts
Good afternoon Pilots.

Thank you for everyone's feedback as it is very much appreciated.

We understands that everyone have their concerns when ordering from us especially with parts and our Customer Support.

Please note that there are different ways to contact us. To reach our Technical Support Department, please submit an inquiry at http://www.bananahobby.com/support.htm and your inquiries will be answered to within 2 business days. If you wish, you can also contact our Customer Support Department and a representative will be more than happy to help you open a case and forward them over to the Technical Support Department.
For any other inquiries, you are able to contact us via phone at (626) 373 - 2288 and/or send us an inquiry which can be located in the same link provided above.
Our office hours is Mondays - Fridays from 9:00am - 1:00pm and 2:00pm - 6:00pm PST (Pacific Standard Time).
We can also be reached at on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/bananahobbyonline) and on here as well.

Regarding parts, Banana Hobby is looking forward in receiving more parts and once the manufacturer provides us with the Estimated Date of Arrival (EDA), it will be posted on our website. You can also sign up for the "Alert Me" function so once an item/part is available to us, you will get an automatic email informing you.

Please know that we are not affiliated with any other vendors (I.E. Nitroplanes, etc.). Banana Hobby is its own retailer.

It is a personal preference as to whether or not pilots would like to order from us. We understand that due to the reviews, many pilots are concerned about purchasing from us; however, please note that there is a saying that goes, "Good news don't travel far, but bad news travel on for miles."

I do wish you all have a wonderful day, happy holidays, and happy flying!

Sincerely,
Nancy P
Banana Hobby

P.S. I hope to see you guys at the AMA Expo next month!
Nancy BH CSR is offline Find More Posts by Nancy BH CSR
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Sep 2012
267 Posts
74charger: I'm not trying to bash BH but watch out for their prices. Their prices went up when they introduced the Free shipping. You might have thought you got free shipping but you actually paid for it.

I'm neither against nor for BH just looking out for myself and looking to spend my money where i get the most bang for my buck. Sometimes in BH and sometimes it not. Here's another thread where others have similiar complaints such as myself.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759343

I also know people who have been waiting for months (including myself) for spare parts. So actions speak louder than words when it comes to the spare parts.

Just be an educated buyer.
ryanbe15 is offline Find More Posts by ryanbe15
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, PA, Port Allegany
Joined Aug 2012
164 Posts
ryanbe15 Their prices may have been up however they had the best price at the time on the plane that I wanted. I am also fully aware of there lack of parts. I'm neither against nor for BH if they have the plane I want at the best price that includes shipping it to me well then they get my business. Like alot of others I am sure when I am thinking of getting another plane I come here and get as much info on it as I can then way the pros and cons before spending my hard earnd money. Reguardless of it being BH NP HH TH or whoever.
74charger is offline Find More Posts by 74charger
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:38 PM
I like Runnnnnning
Joined Aug 2012
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDartMike View Post
I've bought four ARFs from BH with no issues. Two of them FMS 1400mm warbirds. They really don't come with instructions. If it wasn't for the threads here on rcgroups I would have had a hard time getting it together.
This needs to stop,majority of these manufacturer in China is doing this,
In order to demand change stop buying thier products then they'll get the message.
Forrest Gump 23 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest Gump 23
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:23 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
131 Posts
Ok, old thread I know, but I am doing research.

Even though I am new, and I KNOW I am not ready for these types of planes, I would ultimately like to fly some of these planes from BH and NP. These planes "look" amazing, almost identical to the real thing.

But as far as I can tell, no one else sells planes like these that look like the actual plane. If someone does, I can't find them.
lardo5150 is offline Find More Posts by lardo5150
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:15 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
Here is my overall explanation of the overall airplane world:

Premium brands are expensive, but the quality and level of service are worth it in the long run. These are especially good for beginners, especially the ability to buy replacement parts and your LHS. They are also nice because every part works, and works well; the electronics are top of the line and customer service is 100%.

Nitroplanes (et al.) carry cheap chinese planes that have more features and look nicer, but you really need to be an intermediate to advanced modeler to keep them running, as they generally need retrofitting and unavailable parts replaced.

BananaHobby sells the things that are of such low quality that Nitroplanes, HobbyKing, and other retailers won't even sell. BananaHobby brags they have "sole distribution rights"; which isn't even true, when in reality they are the only company willing to sell such merchandise.
TheMissingCard is offline Find More Posts by TheMissingCard
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
Ok, old thread I know, but I am doing research.

Even though I am new, and I KNOW I am not ready for these types of planes, I would ultimately like to fly some of these planes from BH and NP. These planes "look" amazing, almost identical to the real thing.

But as far as I can tell, no one else sells planes like these that look like the actual plane. If someone does, I can't find them.
Right now, the big name brand companies, like Horizon Hobby (aka Spektrum and Parkzone), don't sell too many EDF's. There are multiple reasons for this. There are VERY nice, Very high quality EDF builders out there, but their planes start at about $2k. These builders are mainly focused on Jet Turbine models, but have started selling EDF's too, due to the fast evolving electronics that are now allowing EDF's to be practical.

Right now, that is the reality of EDF's; you either pay out the wazoo to get an amazing high detailed custom built "hot rod", or you get a piece of junk that will probably only last a few flights, assuming it actually makes it through preflight checks without burning up, or doesn't fail on it's first flight.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:43 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
131 Posts
That sucks.
Flying these detailed EDF's is why I am starting to get into the hobby. Being able to "fly" a stealth fighter without actually sitting in the cockpit is fun to me.
lardo5150 is offline Find More Posts by lardo5150
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:06 PM
Customer Support
United States, CA, Irwindale
Joined Nov 2010
252 Posts
Hello lardo5150.
Flying EDFs using the radio system is different from flying the real thing. If you are new to the RC industry, I would recommend practicing on the Flight Simulator first before starting. After you had master that, I would say move to the Gliders, then the trainers, and then warbirds/jets.
It is a personal preference as to where you wish to purchase the merchandises, but I do wish for you to get comfortable first before proceeding the next step when flying these beauties.
I am here to help as well as other pilots all around.
If needed, my direct email is bhlccsr16@bananahobby.com where you are able to send me an email with questions, concerns, or inquiries regarding merchandises that we have on our website and I will be able to answer you more quickly.

Happy flying and welcome to RC!

Sincerely,
Nancy
Nancy BH CSR is offline Find More Posts by Nancy BH CSR
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
If you are new to the hobby, join a local RC flying club!!!!

All 5, or so, RC clubs around Sacramento, CA offer free flight training with an instructor. Mine will even train you, if you are not a member; however, you will have to pay a daily non-member fee. If you use a quality tx, the instructor can actually plug their Tx into yours (aka buddy box); this allows you to do all the flying, and if you get out of control they take over and get you straight and level again.

There is also a wealth of information there. You will quickly know who's advise to take when you see them fly, or just sit around and bs. You want to KNOW what models are good, or not, then watch one of the other flyers at your field who has the same or similar model. You can see what the guys with $$$$$$$ fly and how they set up there planes and you can see those flying a piece of cut out foam with two servos they spent like $10 on and added a scrap Rx. Best of all, at least at my field, everyone is super helpful and more then happy to let you poke around their planes. Once they know you and you have gotten to be a good pilot, there will even be guys who'll let you fly one of their models, if you can't decide about buying one or not!

Simulators are OK; however, they are not realistic at all. They are good for learning to fly from changing perspectives, and to see how models compare; however, it is nothing like the real thing. On my simulators, yes multiple, I can almost never actually land the planes without crashing; with my real 42" T-28 trainer, I can land butter smooth (most of the time, at least).