SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
Man you were very brave indeed the wind looked strong, would never take my quads out in wind like that. To easy to crash, and always on the controls, if you go high youy, risk losing it altogether in winds like that.

I am very surprised you did not crash, and surprised how stable it looked in that sort of wind, seemed to handle it.

Your very brave.
denodan is offline Find More Posts by denodan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:18 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cambridge
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denodan View Post
Man you were very brave indeed the wind looked strong, would never take my quads out in wind like that. To easy to crash, and always on the controls, if you go high youy, risk losing it altogether in winds like that.

I am very surprised you did not crash, and surprised how stable it looked in that sort of wind, seemed to handle it.

Your very brave.
+1 to that, this is why I asked if gps altitude mode was used at any point as i've seen it does a very good job or gps hold position in winds.
Jmm_jammy is offline Find More Posts by Jmm_jammy
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:38 PM
Queens, NY and sometimes Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm_jammy View Post
Snake, a few questions
How did you fly your 550 so far away and keep oriantation or even see it!?
Having 20/10 vision helps, but the video is actually quite deceiving as it isn't nearly as high as it looks.

Quote:
we're you using altitude hold to help or fpv?
I always fly with the GPS on

FPV will be my next step after upgrading the Rx for sumthin with more range.

Quote:
Also don't take this to offence but the video quality seems quite poor for a GoPro, is it because you have not uploaded it at full resolution?
Apart from being mounted on a rather loose payload mount, I usually only record in 720p on my GoPros

My laptop isn't even capable of viewing 1080p, let alone editing it

I did try 1080p a couple times in the first few videos, but I'm not able to view it in 1080p as it's very choppy for me (How do they look for you in that setting?)

Also, I usually render to MP4 format to keep the file size reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denodan View Post

Your very brave.

Actually, the NAZA pretty much does its job very well and the Hex is more stable than any other model I've ever flown

I've also been known to fly my planes in rainstorms with heavy winds, so I had a bit of an idea what to expect

There were a few hard gusts that made the motors work much harder, but it corrected itself every time

Despite more high winds today, I took her up again for some spy footage at a local construction site

Cutting footage as I type
98 SNAKE EATER is offline Find More Posts by 98 SNAKE EATER
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
Snake, I'm viewing on my iPad and does not let me choose what quality to watch it in.
When you say you fly with gps on do you mean with altitude hold? Then I guess you just have to worry about what direction to go in
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Quote:
Snake, I'm viewing on my iPad and does not let me choose what quality to watch it in.
That's Apple for'ya

Quote:
When you say you fly with gps on do you mean with altitude hold? Then I guess you just have to worry about what direction to go in
Hmm, that's a good question.

I'm not too familiar with the flight settings, but on my Tx I have a 2-way switch dedicated to "GPS" and "ATT" (I'm assuming that's "Attitude" mode as written in the manual)

It will hold position with the left stick centered.

AFAIK, there's no Manual mode programmed at this time as I'm still learning
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
Ok I see, how you finding it now? Easy to learn?
I'm just a bout done with my micro Blade Mqx which I've been learning with and want to go up to a dji F450, I must say for a first time quad flyer you have made it look very easy
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Quote:
Ok I see, how you finding it now? Easy to learn?
I'm just a bout done with my micro Blade Mqx which I've been learning with and want to go up to a dji F450, I must say for a first time quad flyer you have made it look very easy
Flying is a cinch

If you can fly one of those mini Co-Axial helis they sell at the mall, you'll be an ace with this thing

Ultra stable and with the way it's setup, as long as I keep my altitude and stay away from objects, there's basically nothing I can do with the controls that will get it out of shape and crash

Goof Proof

That being said, I have yet to fly it manually and doubt I ever will

Here's another vid scouting the unfinished Majesty Building in Orlando earlier today.

DJI F550 Hexacopter Scouting the Majesty Building in Orlando (0 min 0 sec)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Practicing in tighter confines

DJI F550 Hexacopter flying inside our Batting Cage (3 min 43 sec)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
I have used 1080P myself, but use 720p now, due to the fact the files are massive, and the difference between 720p and 1080p is that great a difference.

Just don't like how massive a 1080p video is, don't need to be that high, and put them on DVD, at 1080p you don't get a lot on one DVD.

even though even 720p is a good compromise the files are still big, but still smaller then 1080p.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Another deer scare video....

This time, I hover really high and descend down on them.

A few got spooked, but one stayed for a bit.

DJI F550 Hexacopter Deer Scare Take 2 (5 min 5 sec)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Here's another vid from earlier today....

Unfortunately, it was a wreck

DJI F550 Hexacopter Wrecked (2 min 1 sec)

Lost the GPS signal under our detail area awning and the controls immediately felt a bit more touchy than I was used to and although I managed to land it, the motors didn't shut down like they usually do and it ended up flipping on the spot and tearing up a few props.

Pick up a stack and I'm already back in the air, but I'm gunna need to do some balancing tonight.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
Yes GPS only works in open spaces. Sorry to hear your crash, at least one good thing about quads is they are pretty robust compared to Helis, or aircraft, If that was a heli would have been far worse.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
I'm surprised anything broke it seemed a fairly soft landing. Did the props break while spinning on the floor?

Some questions..
what gps did you have enabled, was it altitude hold?
One gps signal is lost does the quad go straight into manual mode?

Thanks,
I'm glad you got it fixed too!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Quote:
I'm surprised anything broke it seemed a fairly soft landing.
The landing was fine, but then the motors spun up for some reason and it flipped

Quote:
Did the props break while spinning on the floor?
Yep

Snapped the LF prop and pretty much roughed up the others.

I picked up a stack at my LHS and replaced the LF and RF just to get it back int he air, but I'll have to sit down and balance them all later tonight.

Quote:
Some questions..
what gps did you have enabled, was it altitude hold?
I'm still not sure if I have the lingo right, but I have a single switch that toggles back and forth from GPS to ATT (I'm guessing this is "Attitude" since that's what I see in the manual)

In GPS mode, with the left stick centered, it will hold position in the air (I can push it around by hand and the motors will fight to hold the position)

In ATT mode, the flight is still stable, but it just doesn't hold the position as with the GPS

In fact, if you look at the very first video in this thread, you'll notice that I didn't wait for the GPS to acquire and I was flying in ATT mode (I think).

Quote:
One gps signal is lost does the quad go straight into manual mode?

Thanks,
I'm glad you got it fixed too!
I think it depends on the setup because AFAIK, I don't have a manual mode programmed at this time (nor do I want it lol)

I spoke with my builder earlier today and he said if I ever lose GPS signal in the air, it will still be in a "stable" mode
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
I think it might be me who doesn't have the lingo right
Ok, so in ATT mode you can just drive around using the right stick and not worry about the throttle?