HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
Will not be your last crash,I am afraid
denodan is offline Find More Posts by denodan
Last edited by denodan; Oct 11, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
Well, it sounds like he made the right choice by getting it prebuilt as a package.

If the seller sold him something that doesn't work as advertised, that blows.

Naza is relatively simple to setup compared to stuff like multiwii, however I would agree that it requires the operator to have an excellent understanding of its features and programming.

That being said, the F450 and Naza seem to have gotten a lot of noobs started Ok.
kauaicuda is offline Find More Posts by kauaicuda
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denodan View Post
Will not be your last crash,I am afraid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaicuda View Post
Well, it sounds like he made the right choice by getting it prebuilt as a package.

If the seller sold him something that doesn't work as advertised, that blows.

Naza is relatively simple to setup compared to stuff like multiwii, however I would agree that it requires the operator to have an excellent understanding of its features and programming.

That being said, the F450 and Naza seem to have gotten a lot of noobs started Ok.
And wonder how many noobs have lost their quads with no experience and going to high as a noob your asking for big trouble and the loss of your quad? The F450 and Naza can still very easy get the noob in trouble, and going high updrafts carried many quads away to never return so high flying for noobs should never be attempted unless your experienced and knowing what the air currents are doing and understand them.

High flying anytime is very risky and a stupid and foolish thing for a noob to even do, even the expereinced have lost their quads to the aircurrents high up. The currents and winds are totally different high up compared to lowdown.
Last edited by denodan; Oct 11, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
Agreed on multiple counts.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
Does not seem a complete noob? You flown Helis before, because noobs cannot do nose in flying takes time to learn.
Last edited by denodan; Oct 11, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
My advice is take that long boom of, looks so silly, put lights on, much better, looks great, enables night flying and the lights can be seen a long way off.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:01 PM
Queens, NY and sometimes Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback, guys

I'm not really a newb when it comes to flight, but I'm a total newb when it comes to multi-rotors

My experience is limited to 3D planes, co-axial helis and just a touch of variable pitch helis (like hovering only)

Thing is, I'm old school and have yet to dive into new digital technology

My last 6 channel radio happened to look like this lol

Although I'm quite sure I could probably build one of these things overnight, it's the programming that scares the hell out of me

I'm certain that if I did that myself, my first flight wouldn't have been so easy, nor successful

I would've probably put her into the ground due to some minor goof in the initial setup

Since I'd rather not crash and burn the first time up, I looked at builders that a few of you suggested and went one that happens to be a member here

I have no regrets as the build seems to be top notch and I've had countless successful flights (much more than any of my previous planes or helis), but the RTH feature was definitely part of my criteria when I placed the order, so if I have to upgrade the Rx in order to do so, then it's just something I'll have to do.

Any suggestions on which one to get if FPV is in my near future?
98 SNAKE EATER is offline Find More Posts by 98 SNAKE EATER
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
Get the best Spektrum Rx you can afford if you are going to stick with that brand.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
To help orientation add lights. I added them to my Lotus 580P+ and what a difference. Also added yellow tape to the front legs and skids, and also have a MX400 UFO which as lights, they help.

I use a Devo 12s, find they are much better then the Spektrum. Was using a Spektrum, when I had a helicopter, and MQX quad and find the Devo12s much better, better screen, a touch screen and nice menus, also has telemetry function. The Devo 12s is much more advanced TX, also has auto binding, so no need for binding plug with Walkera RX, the binding plug is only needed to clear the RX, so really like auto binding, which others do not seem to have.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaicuda View Post
Get the best Spektrum Rx you can afford if you are going to stick with that brand.
I'd rather stick with Spektrum as that's the Tx I'm using and I'd want to avoid any possible programming issues

Here's one he suggested:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...iver-SPMAR7010

And the one he uses personally:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...iver-SPMAR8000

On a side note, I'm using a DX6i, so the extra channels will be of no use to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by denodan View Post
To help orientation add lights. I added them to my Lotus 580P+ and what a difference.
How are the lights in bright sunlight?

As goofy as the tail booms look, I knew the exact orientation hundreds of yards up

I guess being used to flying helis, it will take time to adjust to this oddball in the sky

Here's another video scaring off a bunch of deer that feed in my backyard.

DJI F550 Hexacopter Deer Scare (2 min 29 sec)

Wasn't really trying to scare them off, just get footage, but they got spooked
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
The lights are pretty bright. My Walkera MX400 has more lights than my Lotus 580P+ and can see this in bright sunlight, better then my Lotus, but if my Lotus is flying above me, can see the lights sunlight, but not as well as my MX400 which has more lights, like top and bottom as well as around the sides and makes it very easy to see in sunlight.

The more lights the easier it is to see at distance. Good thing with lights is it enables night flying
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
Guess we all have our prefernces. I used to have a Spektrum DX6i, but got a Devo8s, miles better then the Spektrum I feel more features, easier to program, touch screen, great easy to read menus, and even the range of the Devo8s is better then the Spektrum. I since got the Devo12s and it's even much better again.

But if you perfer Spektrum, that is fine. All reports were Spektrum was the one to buy, so did at first, then got the Walkera MX400 UFO which has to use a Walkera devo TX, and when I got my Devo8s, never looked back at Spektrum. And the Devo12S is a lot better then the Devo8s.

It is said the Devo8s and 12s have a range of 2000m, which is 1.24 miles.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
To be honest, I've never even heard of the Devo line-up until you mentioned it

Looks like a very cool radio setup though

I went with Spektrum because the majority of BNF planes/helis I've seen only mention Spektrum and I went with the DX6i because I'm on a budget, but it seems to serve its purpose well

Anyhoo, I had been putting it off, but I finally got around to testing the RTH feature

First Test:

It was a scary feeling, but it seemed to have worked like it should.

DJI F550 Hexacopter NAZA Return To Home Test 1 (2 min 51 sec)

Second Test:

For the second test, I flew a bit farther away from the starting point before flicking the switch.
It shot up to ~20m as it should, but went into a long wide spiral during the descent.
As it came down, it spiraled closer and closer to a tree (missing it by mere inches!!)
It would've definitely hit it on the next spiral, so I decided to flick the switch back on and I was able to regain control just in time!!

DJI F550 Hexacopter NAZA GPS Return to Home Test 2 (3 min 30 sec)

In all fairness, I didn't expect the RTH to work perfectly each time as I've seen youtube videos where folks were landing up to 35ft. off target.

And I'm sure the wind probably had sumthin to do with the spiraling, so I'll try testing on a bigger field with less wind next time.

I'm just glad I was able to regain control as I was under the assumption the RTH was all or nuthin

It's exactly what I requested from my builder and I'm more than satisfied, however, had I known the AR6100e wouldn't work in as a true fail safe during a signal loss, I probably would've upgraded to a better one during the build.

Now my question on the crash is why did it drop like a stone when I hit the RTH switch by mistake

Also, here's another video just goofing around

DJI F550 Hexacopter Goofing Off (9 min 2 sec)

I never like leaving a fully charged pack overnight, so I just practiced some maneuvers until it was down to a safe storage charge.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
It was really windy out today, but I couldn't resist taking her up

DJI F550 Flamewheel Hexacopter Flying in High Wind (10 min 46 sec)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cambridge
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
Snake, a few questions
How did you fly your 550 so far away and keep oriantation or even see it!?, we're you using altitude hold to help or fpv?

Also don't take this to offence but the video quality seems quite poor for a GoPro, is it because you have not uploaded it at full resolution?
Jmm_jammy is offline Find More Posts by Jmm_jammy